Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A little something...

These last few weeks have been nutso crazy...and I'm kind of having a really hard time trying to figure out what all to tell you about, and then how to tie it together.  So I guess I'll start with past stuff..and jump around to the present.  Or something.  This post may end up being like, twenty paragraphs long, and given my penchant for adding like six more sentences to my paragraphs than necessary anyway, it's just going to be a really long read.  Good luck.  
Anyhoo, while Lora was still here, we decided to have a campfire and roast marshmallows and hot dogs, and just enjoy the evening with my siblings.  (Minus Jessey and Gabby, because they were in San Diego vacationing).  Rough life, you know?
Syd and Jeff did their regular backyard ritual.  She sits on his lap and snuggles with him while he enjoys all her attention and lets her be the biggest brat in the world simply because she loves him best.  Whatever.  I'm not bitter about their relationship. 
And all of us just hung out, some of us, (Lora), jumped on the trampoline, and Lora and Muff talked the fundamentals of photography.  I basically roasted and ate marshmallows the whole time.  It was a good night. 
Muff and Chris supplied the hot dogs and buns and all was delicious.  I'm usually not a fan of the hot dog--as I still suffer from massive burnout from my childhood.  But, these were really good; they hooked us up.  
I took a bazillion pictures that night.  And these were the only ones that turned out.  Perhaps I should have taken part of Muff and Lora's photography conversation...but I didn't.  And I only got four semi-okay pictures. Ahhh...my sweet girls.  Sometimes sisters are happiest when they're together...and I think my mom captured that when she took this of us:  
Onto more recent happenings:
I painted Cole's room.  That was kind of a nightmare.  After three different trips to the paint place, (because the second time I went they got the wrong color and I had to re-paint all the walls), it was done.  Yet again, a two day job that turned into a four day job.  And it's like, half the size of Riley's room.  The thing is, Cole wanted his room orange, AGAIN.  And after some deliberation, we couldn't go through with it.  So we decided instead to go with blue.  Because he's Cole, he LOVED it, and was really excited.  This is why he's my favorite. ;)
I'm pretty sure Jeff wants to do something artsy with Cole's room as well, but he needs time first.  So it may be a while before he gets to it.  And the finished pictures were taken almost two weeks after his room was done.  That's how clean he keeps it.  I kid you not, every night he tidies up and then goes to bed...Riley's room was a disaster like, ten minutes after Lora left.  


And lastly, my little secret.  As you all know, I love food.  And it's been my fantasy to say that I can cook...that maybe the reason my figure is perpetually rotund is because I'm a fantastic cook.  Or I make excellent cookies, or I can whip up a cake to die for.  But, the truth is?  I suck.  As all the Andersons can attest, I'm VERY far from being an even passable cook.  Or baker...or anything food preparation related.  I guess that last part would be my shameful un-secret.  
I always said that if I ever had a kitchen I could cook in, I'd learn how to cook.  And I've been thinking about that since we've moved.  I honestly love my kitchen.  It's like something from the show "Leave it to Beaver".  Except for more modern and better colors, and better appliances.  Okay, so maybe not exactly like Leave it to Beaver, but it's a place that inspires me...makes me wish I could make stuff.  Good stuff.  And to be truthful?  I'm tired of being that lady that isn't good at anything.  Seriously.  I don't do crafts, I'm not an excellent teacher of children, I can't sew or knit or grow a garden, or any of that stuff.  But I am surrounded by people that do..I'm related to people that do.  They had to have started somewhere, right?  Had to have acted on their interest.  (right?)
So, I bought some cook books.  I've been trying to make HOMEMADE stuff everyday for the last week.  It's been kind of relaxing and Riley is my assistant, and she at least TRIES stuff even when she knows what's in it, if she can help make it.  I'm learning stuff...I'm beginning to tweak recipes and add stuff or take stuff away.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't...but it's honestly been my desire to eat more healthy--better, natural ingredients and such.  And it's been fun.  
Almond and Raspberry Cream cheese bars.  These I liked...but they were too rich.  I had to give a lot away.  The kids weren't happy about the almonds, and so it was mainly me that ate it, but I enjoy anything with cream cheese and almonds, AND raspberries.  So I ate a few and enjoyed them. 
A lot of what Riley and I are trying to do is make natural fruit and vegetable purees and put them in different foods.  We are inspired by the Deceptively Delicious idea.  But it's been fun finding out HOW to cook vegetables and such...Don't scoff.  I know that for a lot of people, this is common knowledge.  But I'm honestly starting at step one.  I told myself that if I go with babysteps, I won't put too much pressure on myself.  We want to make good stuff, but add more nutritional value into it.  Above are "brown sugar muffins" but I tweaked the recipe to add some zucchini puree and make them less sugary.  (Okay, stop laughing at me...I know this is lame, but this is how I've been spending my time). 
And the kids are enjoying it.  Maybe they're taking a lot of the nutrition that we put in back out, but at least they're trying new foods...and eating. And this is actually "homemade" macaroni and cheese.  (Don't feed it to the Coplen children, as it is NOT a hit).  But my best Wyoming bud Moriah made it for us when she was here like, seven years ago, and we occasionally still make it. This dish reminds me of when I'd go with her to her grandparents' ranch during docking season of their sheep.  After the entire process, Moriah's grandmother would make a HUGE delicious dinner and the macaroni and cheese she'd make was my most favorite part.  I'd eat like three plate fulls.  I never had it anywhere else, and then I found out it's so easy it's something I even felt comfortable making.  And because I know that she knows how hopeless I am in the kitchen, I'm thinking that's why Moriah taught me the recipe.   (We have added to it a bit, but it's a hit).    


And Syd digs it, too.  Big time.  Lately we've made homemade spinach pizza and tomorrow I'm trying my luck with making something with the eggplant I bought.  It's not an exciting fantasy, but it's mine.  And I'm making good use of my lovely kitchen.  
So that's a little something of our last two weeks. fyi:  I've replaced the white flour with wheat...and it's not gone over as well, but we're working on it.  Wish me luck, I need it. 

12 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

Way to go Rainey on the cooking. I am proud of you. I need to learn to do something because I feel the exact same way you do when you described you didn't do anything. However, I can add one more thing to your list of what your good at. Your a GREAT writer. Seriously, I love reading the things you write. Maybe I am not good at budgeting my time or something but I always feel like I am chasing my kids or cleaning that I don't have time to learn something. Maybe when my kids are a little older it will be easier. I don't know.

Kory said...

Radicalness on the cooking. I thought I was somewhat of a chef until Amy banned me from making dinners because all I can make is breakfast food and hamburgers. So way to go.

Kyle said...

I think that's super-rad.

I've been trying to branch out in cookery too. It's scary. But it usually turns out into something edible.

USUALLY.

Sarah said...

That's so great - I'd love to have the time to try out new recipes. Go girls!!! :) let us know some of the recipes if they turn out good!

Lora said...

I'm very proud of you! Eating well is so important, and I think it's awesome that you're attacking it like a new hobby. Like you said, you have to start somewhere.

As for me, I truly believe that cooking well is a tremendous talent. I've tried it, and two vital components that I don't have are timing and confidence. Asking me to cook something is like asking me a math question. Even if I know it's not difficult, my brain will become mush and all common sense will fly out the window. Lack of confidence can be very debilitating. That's why I thank my lucky stars that my husband is a rockstar cook.

Baking, now there's something I can do. And a couple weeks ago, I baked a kiss-ass peach pie from scratch. I'll give you the recipe sometime if you're up for making your own crust.

maida said...

Good for you, it does us good to try new things. Sounds like you are doing great.

Erinn and Ryan said...

Yep, cooking for people has been one of my biggest phobias. I'm slowly getting over it, kinda by doing it like you are - by exploring one recipe at a time, eventually making it successfully, then forcing myself to feed it to somebody besides my family. We actually had people over last Sunday and FED them, and I wasn't ashamed! Hooray for us cookaphobes!

As far as healthy goes, I highly recommend 1. Throwing spinach into a blueberry fruit smoothie (the blueberries hide the green). 2. Pureeing anything into spaghetti sauce (especially eggplant). and 3. Quinoa. Seriously, we love it. It's like rice, but AWESOMER!

rain said...

Thanks for the support! Sometimes that's what I need to hear in order to supply myself with more motivation. Brandi-I appreciate your writing comment...I really enjoy doing it. And you're a great mom, with two kids that keep you on your toes. Literally. That's doing stuff every second of everyday.
As far as the cooking goes, I am definitely better at baking, as well, Lora. And I'm TOTALLY up for making my own pie crust. I've been craving strawberry and rhubarb pie all summer. I recently made some eggplant "burgers" and some meatballs for pasta that also had spinach and yams in them...they were all good. But the meatballs were way too salty. Oh well...it's still a work in process. And I need to rid myself of the thought that you can never have too much salt...or cheese. And Erinn? I totally appreciate the advice on blueberries--that sounds great. And I'm going to check out the Quinoa! I've seen it at the store, but had no clue what is was. Pretty much my experience everytime I wander away from the frozen isle...And I'm SO proud of you for cooking for others!!! That's like, one of the scariest things I can think of.

Amy said...

Rainey! I am so proud of you I really am, I remember the conversation we had a little while ago about crock pots :) I was sad for you because I LOVE your kitchen and it NEEDS to be cooked in.

If you ever want to swap recipes we should, I love cooking and making dinner for our family. Its my favorite part of the day. Brings us all together!

I should bring you some squash from our garden, you interested? Or better yet I should let your kids come pick a squash so they can pick, cook and try it. Sound fun? I think it sounds fun. We have plenty to spare. This was my FIRST year trying one fresh from a garden, I got kinda grossed out by it, because of all the bugs we saw. But I really like it. (by the way I was only able to grow squash out of EVERYTHING I planted)

All you food looks delicious. I have had to be very very creative with cooking being married to Kory,no mac and cheese for us. :( Its been a journey, and I am still not where I want to be, but it gets easier. One thing I have learned is, you have to try the recipe again if it doesn't work out the first time. I always ask Maida for advice too, she's great and knows lots of tricks :)

Moriah said...

I really don't think you understand how proud of you I am!!! Getting giddy over here!

KaSs MiLeS said...

i'm so impressed with your baking skills!! thanks for sharing your goodies; especially on such a rough day for us. i really love cole's room. you guys did a great job!!! we really want to come see your new house!

Nately said...

Hooray for bbq-ing it up at your place! And for the record, I bring my buns to ANY party. They always rock the party. And I love that pic of Squish and her pop. I think she's KIND of a sweety (but only kind of). Props on the healthy eating! I'm so proud that I think I'll eat a burger to celebrate!