Thursday, January 20, 2011

Awakenings

This year has started out well.  So well, in fact, that I've been hard-pressed to come up with something to post about.  I went through a couple of my old posts and there's a lot of:  "Life is great!", and "I'm sooo happy!".  And though I am in no way complaining about how I've felt about my world, I know from experience that sometimes reading about someone else's happiness isn't all that much fun.  Especially if the reader isn't on the same page as the writer.  It's more along the lines of "Well, yaaaaaay for you".  Anyway, that's my personal experience.  And yeah, I'm aware that's a pretty rotten way to be, but sometimes too much fabulousness in someone else's life is just...too much. Period.  And yeah, despite my happiness, this is my natural pessimism shining through.  
However, I guess when life is good, it's just really good.  I've been trying to come up with interesting stuff to post about, and...I got nothing.  I've always said that I'm happiest when nothing is going on...that means that life is good.  But it makes for some seriously boring reading.  
Syd has started to TRY to say things.  She usually doesn't get past one syllable, but she's trying.  This makes me happy and relieved.  She really enjoys making sounds.  I think she feels like they are just more interesting than actual words--her favorite thing right now is a play food set; with spoons, cups, plates, and fake foods.  She feeds all of us, and will make the appropriate drinking, eating, chewing, burping sounds.  I appreciate the words of encouragement from those of you that have heard me voice my fears about Syd.  I think the biggest fear of parents is for something to go south with their children.  I know that when it comes to mine, I try to be good about letting them do their own thing, and support their individuality.  However, I'm not above comparing others to my kids...and if they seem to be lagging, my kids, I mean, I worry.  This isn't fair to them.  I know this.  But I'm weak sometimes.  I love Riley, Cole, and Syd.  I want whatever is good for them.  And I need to relax and recognize when something is good for them, even if it's confusing or frustrating to me.  That's a lot of babble, I know.  Parenthood is just really hard, sometimes.  Even when it doesn't have to be.


Today Cole told  me he thinks he has the best family ever.  "The best mom, and the best dad, and the best sisters...Basically everything is just the best."  I just watched as he happily skipped off to do something that I'm sure he told me about, but I tuned him out as he was telling me.  I do that WAY too often.  But I really stopped to think about that.  He's happy.  And that makes me really happy. 
 Riley and her dad worked tonight on the last leg of her 5th grade science fair project.  Jeff had a bazillion projects that he needed to finish, but he took the time to help her print out pictures and write down results, and so on, and so forth.  And before she went to bed, I heard Riley tell Jeff that she appreciated his time that he spent helping her with her project.  (Notice that she's no where to be seen during the actual work).
And then she showed up to play with the box that Jeff was using to put behind her poster board.  But she actually stuck around to work on her conclusions to her hypothesis, so technically, she DID do quite a lot.  :)  The point?  You can see how much she loves her dad.  He makes my kids and me, happy.  And so I come full circle.  I'm happy.  My kids are happy.  Despite some stress, and being short on time, Jeff is happy, too.   And it makes for a boring story.  But a great life.  :) 

11 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

Glad things are going so good Rain. You have a great family. Family is everything.

KaSs MiLeS said...

5th grade. are you serious? that's too weird! I'm glad you guys are doing well. its nice to hear from you since we don't get to see each other a lot, even if its just to say you're doing great. I'm miserable and about ready to perform my own c-section, but i still enjoy hearing how great you are, because i'm sweet like that.... just kidding. love you guys.

Kory said...

Yeah, Jeff is like that. He took time out of his busy schedule to come watch some guys move a piano down my stairs just in case he was needed. I was totally stressed it wasn't going to work and I'd have to smash apart my work to get it in, so I had people there on hand to help. It was really cool of him.

Kelli said...

cole is so cute. Kyle is always saying he hopes felix turns out like cole and that would be pretty fantastic, he is just so sweet! And I agree with kory, jeff has helped us move countless times and never let us pay back the favor.

Amy said...

I am so glad you guys are happy, it gives me stress to think of your family otherwise. Is that weird? I guess it's because I admire you guys.

Luckily for us, Axel WILL turn out just like Cole :) haha having the kid that is super duper shy is also the best because they have the most love to give the people they love the most. I never have to question Axel's love for Kory and I, not saying other parents do, but because of their disposition you just feel the love all the time.

I remember when I met Cole, he came into Kory's room saw me, and Kory said "Hi COLE!" Cole slowly covered his face ducked and backed out of the room. I remember thinking, who is this kid? he is SOOO shy! Now that I have Axel, that is an everyday thing for us. He is however not shy about being shy. :)

Moriah said...

Oh lovely! I am happy to see your kids have such a happy and carefree childhoo. I felt like mine was that way, and I was always upset to hear from people who had a hard time of it. And I enjoy reading about your happy times!

Kyle said...

As for Axel turning out exactly like Cole, that may be reasonable, since he's TOTALLY copied his hair.

But these pictures made me realize how infrequently I see your family. Syd looks so big now. And she's ridiculously cute.

Amy said...

Well Kyle, in Axel's defense Nicolas claims Axel copied a "Jonas Brother", so I would MUCH rather have people associate his hair with Cole's over them.

And, the first time Cole met Axel he said "He looks just like me!"

I was more referring to the fact that there personalities are similar, don't get me wrong, Axel has the same haircut, I will fully admit that, but at least he HAS hair.

maida said...

After some trauma boring is wonderful. I'm so happy to read your blog.

Shauna said...

Seeing Riley and Syd sitting on the floor with the play dishes when I came over brought back so many memories of Maggie's daily picnics on the living room floor. She was obsessed with play dishes. I grudgingly participated but now look back on it as the best of times. I am glad things are going well with you guys. It would be hard to be depressed around Cole. He is so pleasant. It's inspiring. What was Riley's science project about? Jeff amazes me with his patience and ability to do projects.

Leah said...

That's why I haven't posted in a year. Happiness is boring. And boring is oh so good. I am thinking of starting up my blog for Peru though, so start checking. Sydney is SO beautiful. Every picture of her is perfection. I love it. I too am glad that your kiddos are happy. As someone who didn't get that easy childhood, I love when others do.