We are now in the last days of July. Next week I have to register Riley and Cole for school. FOR SCHOOL. For their entire next YEAR. Does anyone know where this last three months have gone? I'm missing them. I was asked to today, "what have you done this entire summer?" And I started, and finished with, "We went to Las Vegas in June..." And then what? Nothing, really. I mean, we have managed to cut some trees down, and keep the lawns mowed, and get Syd to most of her classes, and then...not much else. But, I have to say, we've enjoyed our while of massive laziness. I surely have. I mean, other than the despising myself for being so lazy that happens, undoubtedly a week out of each month, I've really enjoyed it.
And I want to thank the solidarity from those of you that commented on the occasional banality of motherhood. It's reassuring to me that sometimes I'm normal. But I think normality is just so foreign to me that it feels like I'm nuts. I don't know. I'm working through it.
Riley got her braces off last week. Tomorrow we go in to get her retainers. And then begins her life as a braces-free preteen. I'm excited about her starting school without them. She looks so much older to me...
See? She'll be starting sixth grade. I can't even believe I have a kid this old...I don't feel this old. The other day I was telling Jeff about how I find myself wondering how I ended up here, about how I got so old so...quickly. I told him that most of the time I feel like Riley and I could be sisters, instead of Mom and Daughter. He laughed in my face. Totally not one to blow smoke up anyone's behind, he let me know how much I could NOT pass for Riley's sister. But that's okay. Because I have a tendency to see myself perpetually 25. Yeah, yeah. Be nice to me, I have had way too much personal revelation, lately.
But about Riley--she's happy. She likes the way she looks and this isn't surprising to me, as I believe she's beautiful. But I'm so grateful that she's happy with who she is. I can remember myself in sixth grade, and it was really hard. I didn't think a lot of myself. But she does. And to me, that's most important...and I pray that she continues to feel that way. I'm proud of who she is. And I hope that I can be who she needs me to be, for her. She and I have been able to have all these long conversations. We sit down, do our nails, and have shared opinions about different things. And speaking of doing nails, I'm pretty proud of myself. I mean, can you believe it? So. Fun.
Okay, I should probably get to bed now. It's 3:00 am, and I can't really be held responsible for the things I say and think during this time frame. They're usually demented, and scary...so it's best for everyone that I shut it and get some shut eye. But I'll try to get better about posting now that summer is almost over. Cause that's how I roll.


9 comments:
Oh man! I was just thinking earlier today about how fast time flies. Remember being young and thinking adults had no clue? Wellll.....uh. I feel a little too close to my teenage years probably. I totally understand the 'sister' comment. No kid can put anything past me! I know the signs of drug use and drinking maybe a little too well (not because I have ever done either, OF COURSE). Anyway, I wish Riley luck in 6th grade, because looking back on that is not exactly putting me in my happy place. But I love that you two have such a fantastic relationship. You are the best mom ever, Rainey! Okay, I am done now.
I'm addicted to interest as well. Can't get enough.
Riley looks so much older!! She is so gorgeous and it's always so awesome to hear that girls that age or any age have confidence.
I too am wondering what I did with my summer besides work... I'm way lamer than you, but we already knew that.
I commented on your blog and it didn't post, bummer. Anyway that's what summer is for, to be lazy. In spite of what Jeff says, you will probably feel that way at 40, 50 and so on. I can't believe I'm so old. Riley looks beautiful, I'm glad she can start 6th grade without braces. Good job on the running.
Are those your shoe shelves?! Riley is gorgeous. I'm glad her post braces experience went much better than mine. Summer means nothing to me anymore now that no one in our family is in school :( It's sad. Well, my baby is screaming, so I better run.
Oh, but I wish we lived closer so I could run with you. There is a 5k coming up where you register as a human or a zombie. And I am DYING to do it!
Riley looks awesome.
I remember getting my braces off made me feel like I had finally arrived on the scene.
Rain,
I can't believe how old Riley is, either! I will forever have the image of her as a two-year-old burned into my brain, and that's a good thing. I'm glad I will always be able to remember her has a baby.
Cole is harder for me to remember as a baby. I think it's mainly because I didn't live in Utah after he was born, but it's also because the world of blogging and facebooking and access to constant online photos didn't really take off until after he was already a little boy. My mental picture of him is tightly hugging Noony with a sweet little smile on his face.
I feel like I've been able to watch Sydney grow moreso than the other two, because I get to look at so many pictures of her. I can't believe how quickly it's happening, either. I have Muffy's DeSisto Digitals business card on my bulletin board of my office, and sweet, innocent little sydney is sitting there with barely-there piggy tails, playing with a flower petal. Now, she's a lovely little girl with long piggy tails, and she continues to work a room, the difference is that now she knows she's doing it. ;)
I am also shocked that the summer is over - I would much rather have 9 months of summer and 3 of winter - then you could look forward to the snow....I think Arizona is calling my name. Anyway Riley should be proud of herself - she is awesome and beautiful and I'm so glad you have brought her up to know that. :)
Oh i do not know how I missed this post! I loved it, and feel the same, i can't believe tomorrow is the last week of summer for most, even though I don't have kids in school, my lessons end and it gets colder.
I feel so bad for not noticing what was different about your family picture I took, it was Riley's braces! Now I feel bad for not saying something to her! I guess because she wore her braces well, if you can imagine that is possible, Riley made them look cute, because she is cute.
Good luck with your 5k! I jogged,walked a 5k after Axel, and would love to do one again I think, but in the cooler months so I don't die of heat exhaustion
Post a Comment