Thursday, July 14, 2011

Syd Stuff.

Okay, not only Syd stuff, but partially.  As far as Syd goes, I guess it's come down to this:  I used to worry about her most of the time.  Occasionally there would be situations where I'd feel relieved and see something where I'd know that things were going to be okay.  Maybe not ALL okay, but not all wrong, either.  The entire Syd situation has turned around.  Now occasionally I'll see something that makes me feel like she needs her Kids Who Count classes twice a week.  But mostly, she's caught up.  Well, maybe not around everyone...she still thinks it's her call whether or not to engage when others are around, but here, with us, she's found her place.  And it kind of trumps all of ours.  But it's okay.  
I knew I'd be relieved if she started catching up, but I didn't realize how happy I would be, and how happy it would make her, as well.  It just seems like we connect so much easier, and she's not as frustrated as she always seemed to be.  Yes, she's still bratty.  But she communicates so well, and she isn't so completely angry about her inability to make me understand her; leaving her in a sobbing heap.  Or me in tears because I was just not getting it.  No matter what she did.  
And for a while we experienced that in-between phase where she would talk, but no one could understand anything she said unless they lived with her, and had heard it before.  Now she is thanking strangers, saying goodbye and hello, making eye contact, showing interest in playing with me and Jeff and Riley and Cole, saying the kids names, saying her name...things that she should have been doing a long time ago, but in these past two months, her progress has been amazing.  In fact, I was told two weeks ago that by the time she goes into kindergarten, there will be no sign of her being behind.  
I'm very grateful.  Things have been happening in my life that haven't been overly great.  (Kind of makes me avoid blogging and such). But this isn't one of them. This is my silver lining.  I guess sometimes you just need a win, you know?  And we are so taking it.  
In other news, I'm kind of sad that summer is halfway over.  Normally I dislike summer, as I've said a bazillion times.  But this year has been different.  I think it's the new house--our backyard has trees and shade, and green grass.  And not one drunken whore yelling into her phone and blowing smoke into our windows. (Well, that I know of).  
So the kids can go outside and jump and swing, and use sidewalk chalk, and do things that I really, really wanted them to be able to do, but basically couldn't because it was way too hot and dusty in Springville.  And nothing against Springville, because I liked it there...just not my neighbors or our backyard.  Plus I've heard from so many people that "there hasn't been any summer!", so, maybe that's another reason I'm enjoying it.  
I will say this:  I've been a lazy, terrible mother.  Not that this is news to most of you, sometimes I am just more than a little disgusted with my daily schedule.  My question is...does everyone have this same experience?  Mothers, I mean?  I do the same things every day.  EVERY DAY.  Sometimes twice or three times.  And after a while, I think that I would be so much more productive if I worked--outside the home, I mean.  That maybe there would be some sort of evidence that I do something now and then.  This is me being a sad sack, but I do have these feelings. 
Anyway, I'm trying to take matters into my own hands.  I've started jogging again, so that's actually been good.  You can never tell physically, but I do notice that there aren't as many nonsensical thoughts pinging around in my brain.  I guess not as many that scare me, anyway.  I do have to say that I started up after our vacation.  I was blissfully lazy for the better part of a year.  And then I saw pictures of my friend that recently had a baby, and then had picked up running again.  She was tiny, and I was engorged on donuts from Krispy Kreme runs each night while staying in Circus Circus.  So I thought about it, and told myself that I needed to make some changes.  And I did...and I almost died.  In fact, in working up to two miles I'd come home reeking of B.O. and having little flies embedded in the sweat that covered my face.  So thanks for that, Leah.
It's better, now.  I can't run a 5K just yet, but maybe in a month or so?  I don't know.  I guess as long as I'm doing something.  Anyway, I'll post again, soon.  It's late, and I need to figure out this Pinterest thing on my phone.  Yet another way to waste time, but I want to find ways to showcase Jeff's artwork in a different light...so maybe this will be it.  Later gators.

14 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

I am SO happy for you guys and for Syd! I have loved summer too! Well minus a few things that I will have to tell you later ;) We spend so much time outside and do so many fun things. I am tanner then I can ever remember because we pretty much play outside ALL day!

Kory said...

She does seem much happier. That makes me sad that she was less happy because she couldn't communicate. As long as she and I are on good terms I'm happy with whatever.

KaSs MiLeS said...

oh i totally pin jeffs stuff off his blog! :)
i'm so glad to hear that Syd is doing so well She is seriously so gorgeous. Her and Story need to play together more often!! She has no girlfriends and it makes me so sad, because she doesn't have sisters either. All her friends are boys!
I feel the same way about being in a rut. I feel like i come home from work and am such a slob. its a gross feeling, but i just can't get my butt off my couch to go running.

Kyle said...

Syd is beautiful. I've said it before and I'll continue to say it until she hits the awkward stage of life.

Also, I think the non-productive feelings happen at outside-the-home work, too. Somedays it seems like no matter how active I feel like I've been I have absolutely nothing to show for it. It's pretty disheartening, sometimes.

Kelli said...

I can't believe you're considering running a 5k. That's crazy talk! I love your pictures. I was kind of jealous hearing how good Syd is doing since I was reading it while sitting next to my moniter which is transmitting Felix's screams through the whole thing. And I think Kyle has those non-productive feelings for me. I don't mind sitting on the couch napping while my boy plays. Jk. I totally have those and think why can't I get anything done. And then when i try, Felix just sobs that I'm not paying attention to him and I remember that's why.

Anonymous said...

Damn blogger! I posted an awesome commented and it didn't post. Anyway, the gist of it was thank you!!! Not skinny (me that is) but thank you!!! Second, I HEAR you. I feel like a lazy, terrible mother pretty much every day. And I see/read/talk to people that I think are complete morons who seem to think that parenting is easy. I struggle everyday. With boredom and apathy and loneliness. It's nice to know that someone I consider a good mother (you) also might struggle just a little. So thanks!

--Leah

Sarah and Mike said...

Rainey,
I wish that you lived next door-then I would at least have good company while I do all the things that need to be done over and over that no one notices.
So glad Syd is doing so well-it looks like you guys are having a great summer. I'm also impressed (wish I could say inspired) by the jogging. I struggle with feeling productive-I'm usually not-but my boys are fun kind little people and I guess that counts for something.

Moriah said...

Oh, I am so happy for little Syd, and your sanity, of course. Sorry about the lame-o stressful things going on. Wish I could help! Let's talk soon, k?

Moriah said...

Oh, and btw, that running thing? I am so incredibly impressed because I don't think I could ever be ambitious enough to do it. Good work, you!

Erinn and Ryan said...

That's funny, I was just moping around tonight feeling sorry for myself and how little I get done in a day. Even when I do get something done, it's something lame like sorting out the pile of papers on the counter. Nobody congratulates you for that. I so desperately need to start exercising, to try to make my crazies go away, but I'm too stinkin' lazy!

Oh, and those are adorable pics of Syd.

Amy said...

I missed this some how, then realized that it was because I haven't blogged for a while, and of course that is when you blog.

I was feeling the same way, kinda rut-ish, until I started swimming lessons, and now I am feeling like I don't have time for anything anymore, but I am glad to not be as stressed financially, and am soooo grateful my parents jumped at the opportunity to do it again. So the grass is always greener on the other side.

Although it is very hard for me to leave my babies for a little bit to teach, I have learned since having Axel it will be good for their social skills to not always be with just me. Axel still cries for a good hour in nursery, but he really loves going over to grandma's house now. It has been really good for him. And sometimes I think others do a better job with playing with my kids then I do. Like right now I am blogging and Axel is watching a robot show for the millionth time.

I love syd, I had so much fun getting to know her a little better on the 4th, she is really starting to shine and I loved how much she and Axel were playing together! Because Axel is also just coming out of his social shell a bit, not completely but he really has made progress, and so I know that feeling where even though others may not see it, it means the world to the parent. That being said, I can totally tell the progress syd has made! She is doing soo great!

Lora said...

Yay, Sydney! Life is frustrating enough without communication barriers. You guys are all troopers, and Sydney is doing great.

Hats off to you for even thinking about running a 5K!

maida said...

Even though it doesn't seem like you are getting anywhere with the housework, cooking etc you are doing the most important thing, being there for those beautiful kids and I for one THANK YOU for doing it.

Shauna said...

It's too bad we measure our success by "doing" things. I think you being who you are is a great blessing to your kids. I am so glad that Syd is able to connect with you and others. I think that is Andy's greatest desire. Probably why he talks so much and memorizes everyone's movie collection.