skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Happy Fourth of July!
It was a good one. I woke up at 11:00, because my kiddies tried their hardest to let me sleep in, and then it was time to get up and bake brownies that I really had planned on no one eating...because that's just what happens when I make stuff for any potluck that I happen to be invited to. I always feel obligated to bring something because it's for absolute sure that I'll eat what's there. But my stuff, the fruits of my
labor, remain lonely and untouched. Not this year, no. (FYI, my pictures this post are also fruits of my labor...only in different ways. They are much more enjoyed by all). My brownies were devoured, and I mean, completely gone. It's the first time in the ten years that I've been part of this family, and don't worry, I made a rousing speech to the Anderson's, saying just that. It was an occasion to be commemorated, much like the independence part. Anyway, Riley and Cole and I got there about 4:30, and the eating was scheduled to start about fivish. Seemingly how my children don't really think that food is all that fun and exciting, (a reason that, if I hadn't been there, giving birth to them, I'd seriously wonder where they came from), both Riley and Cole jumped in the pool and Cole didn't emerge until three hours later, while Riley was in there for two additional hours after Cole petered out. By then all the food had been put away and eaten, (Oh, and I couldn't give him one of my brownies, becaus
e they were ALL GONE..in case you missed that part). But Cole and Riley both were content with some Dorito crumbs and strawberries. This has to be the reason that my children are skinny. It doesn't come from my side of the family, that's obvious.
Anyway, I got to visit with sisters-in-law, and my mother-in-law and father-in-law. It's weird, because I don't feel like they are "in-laws", and for that, I'm truly grateful. I just always say that, to specify who's who. I get this really ridiculously happy zing when I see/hear my sisters-in-law refer to me as simply, their sister, and yet, even though I want to do the same thing, I have severe issues with it. I wonder if this is because I have both step sisters and step brothers and yet, they aren't but acquaintances to me...And that's not to be said in a rude way, even though I did...but we just don't have any type of closeness. I like them, but I'll never actually feel close to them, or like we are friends, not the way I do around Jeff's family. Does that make sense? Anyway, long, awkward story short, the Andersons (& those lucky enough to marry them), are really important to me, and totally considered my close family. So it's really a fun time for all of us when we get together.
Fireworks were provided by the usual suspects, and for that, I say a loud thanks. My mother-in-law and father-in-law worked the grill, ensuring meaty deliciousness for all...it was a good time. So thanks to all that made it possible for me to eat a lot, the kids to swim, and Jeff and I to have fabulous conversation and laughs. And don't forget that my brownies were eaten. Every one.
8 comments:
HA HA that is awesome that your brownies were gone. I am sure they were wonderful. Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. It is just a no pressure holiday where you get to hang out with the family. You don't have to worry about gifts and if anyone is going to like them and you just get to relax.
Now those brownies were certainly a milestone. Were they from a box? Kidding.
I'm sorry to say that i missed out on brownies, because I had to make it to the Miles Reunion for a short time. It was fun to see you and your family!
I didn't get any of your brownies for the obvious reason. One time I made treats for an elders chorum party from scratch. Not a one was eaten when I went home. And then I ate one and they were awful. But no one even tried to find out. I feel your pain.
And I love that picture of Cole!
Amen to all that. I didn't get to taste the brownies, but boy did they look sooo good. Anyway, I must say that I am with you on the in-laws, I think the reason I refer to you all as my sister in-law is similar to that, it makes more sense when trying to describe who I am talking about to others. When I say my sister, people immediately assume Hilary, and Liesel. But if I say sister in-law, they say oh one of the 14 on Kory's side. :) Because yes we have 14 sister in-laws! But to me we are all sisters, I am grateful to be a part of the Anderson family, we are truly lucky.
Hmm... this is all very strange... I didn't get to eat any of the brownies either....
Did you actually just bring an empty tupperware and then claim to have made great brownies?
I thought I was the only one that didn't get my stuff eaten at Anderson thingys. They are pretty picky. I think only the in-laws dare taste my stuff. I'm glad you like our family. I always wonder if it's fun or not for in-laws to come to our things. We love you! And not just for your brownies!
Post a Comment