Sunday, August 30, 2009

Another reason why my kids are the coolest...

So the weekend before this last one, Jeff, the kids, and I went to Seven Peaks. It was fun--I didn't get any pictures because we were there the ENTIRE Saturday. And I didn't want anyone to steal my camera, or more likely, me lose it or immerse it in some of the surrounding water.
We all had fun, and for once, I was totally on top of the sunscreen situation, so we didn't get too burned, either. After a while I did get a "too much sun" headache. Does anyone else get those? It's like the sun is my enemy....it just hates me.
Anyway, as we were there, they played "Radio Disney" the ENTIRE time. So the kids and I heard songs by those annoying rich kids that
you see on the tween magazines...you know, the ones that eventually end up like Brittany Spears or Lindsay Lohan. Those kids that will soon be checking into rehab, or convincing some money-hungry loser to marry them, or come out of the closet only to be ridiculed and disappear. The next generation of sad-sacks...like, Miley Cyrus, and The Jonas Brothers, and the cast of High School Musical. Anyway, I don't really know, I haven't really paid any attention to them, but if they go by the status quo, in the next five years you'll most likely be seeing those type of previously mentioned headlines. The fact of the matter is, I'm kind of a snob. I really have a hard time believing in those Disney kids as being actually talented. I've seen a couple of their shows, and it's kind of pathetic that they're getting the air time they are. So, as we were out in the Sun, wading in between all the women with fake boobs and guys that had juuuust got done at the gym and hurried over to "swim" with the ladies with fake boobs, I got my first taste of what Radio Disney actually is. And, as far as I'm concerned, that's annoying. But, I did kind of start to feel bad. As I looked around all these little kids and bigger kids...like, high school, were singing along to EVERY song they played. I wondered if maybe I was keeping my kids from something that everyone else seems to enjoy. Kids, I mean.
(A little side note: Is Seven Peaks not a kid place? Cause seriously....there were a lot of saline implanted and ripped 20 somethings doing the mating dance there...all day long. It was kind of interesting to me. I guess I just didn't think of a water park as a place to "hookup". Maybe for teens that have been dropped off by a mom and are to be picked up at closing, yeah. That makes sense. But adults that can drive? I would have never guessed. Could that be Utah's substitute for a beach? Uh, still no excuse).
Anyway, back to my topic. As I drive Riley and Cole to school in the mornings, we listen to X96's Radio From Hell. It's a bit raunchy, and sure, if I were a better mother, I wouldn't let my children's sensitive ears be burdened by the off-color remarks of Kerry, Bill and Gina in the morning. Sadly, I'm not better. But, as I walked with Syd in the wading pool and listened to some sort of Miley Cyrus fan win a new wardrobe and chance to actually meet her on the Hannah Montana set, I thought that maybe I should allow my kids more kid stuff. Maybe, though I didn't how, it was something that all kids just seem to like....like foodstuffs that are the color blue.
The following Monday I was up early with the kids, and we were on our way to school. The radio popped on as I turned the engine, and X96 was on, as usual. I backed out of the garage, and we were on our way, while the kids were listening to our regular program. I decided I would just change the station to Radio Disney. Even though I knew that if it were to be a hit , that meant that my X96 days were over. But, I'm a giver, as you all know...so I decided to take the plunge. Radio Disney came on filling the Buick with the sounds of Miley Cyrus, I was told...singing something about "He's got somethin' special", over and over again. Riley and Cole started whispering in the back of the car, and giggling. So I assumed that they were enjoying it. And then their laughter got louder. And louder. And louder again. And that, along with the annoying aspect of Miley's voice was too much for me, so I turned the radio down and asked them if they recognized that song. Riley goes, "uh...no. Why would we? Do you know who that is?" I said that the DJ told us it was Miley Cyrus...the girl that plays Hannah Montana. Riley goes, "MOM! You know I HATE Hannah Montana!" And Cole said, "Mom, that music is.....just....terrible". And they both started laughing at me for being so incredibly uncool.
Suddenly I just loved my kids that much more. I switched the station to our regular station and the potty-break was going, so the song playing was 21 guns, by Green Day. Riley goes, "It's my favorite song! I'm so glad we didn't miss it". And then she and Cole proceeded to sing along to it. They always surprise me with how well they know the words.
Anyway, that's my story for today. I wish you all a nice week. I'm overly excited for Kory and Amy to post about their weekend, so I didn't want to over-stimulate all of you, right away, or take away from their big adventure. ;)
Peace out, Dudes.

11 comments:

Kyle said...

Your kids are awesome.

Not necessarily because Miley "Lil Lohan" Cyrus isn't fun for kids, but because she's awfully unfun for adults. And if they can just skip past that whole phase that seems nearly inevitable to a depressing degree... well then, you've inocculated them well against crap entertainment.

Well done.

Tor said...

Do you remember water world in denver? I think you went with me. It was totally the same thing. There's something about places where you wear far too little that draws the hoochies...hmmm.

Tor said...

That was Leah not Tor. If that had been Tor that would have been really WEIRD!

Leah said...

One more thing. I know this will make me seem ignorant and like a religious racist (a religionist) but I think it's kinda funny there are boob implants in Utah, and that there are swim parks where they are allowed to show them off. I would think there would be a one-piece rule like at church camp. :)

KaSs MiLeS said...

That's pretty funny. :) Jerome's big into that blue colored food. he's into all that gross kid candy too.

rain said...

Kyle, I will take that as a shining compliment. Jeff and I are so against things that are lame. So knowing that my kids have picked up on that makes me so proud.

Leah--I TOTALLY remember Water World in Denver! I remember that whole trip and it's unfathomable awesomeness. Staying with your Aunt and Uncle and your cute cousin in college...ah, a favorable memory, in deed. :)
Oh, and Leah, if there is one thing that Utah knows, it's boobies. In fact last time I was at the airport I talked to a woman from Idaho and a woman from Colorado that has just had theirs done...because apparently Utah has so much experience. Ooooh, the things I could tell you about this state...But there just isn't enough space in the comments section. ;)

rain said...

And Moriah...HUGE sigh of relief. There's a certain pride I take in my children...and a blow like watching them know all the words to lame songs can be devastating--the very reason I never was a fan of "Kidz Bop". Not only do they ruin regular songs by taking small children and making them sing the entire thing, but they ALWAYS feature a Nickleback song. Pure evil, as far as I'm concerned.

Moriah said...

One more thing...sun headache. It is dehydration. Pound a glass or 2 of water and that takes care of it. I am an expert at these things.

Amy said...

hahaha that is too awesome! But I have to say Zac Effron is in all the high school musicals, and I like him. But I agree, I hate Hannah Montana. But my nieces LOVE her. So much so that Maddy sometimes changes her voice to sound like her. Sad day I know. But kinda cute coming from a 4 year old.

Shauna said...

Well, I really tried to avoid it but Maggie got a taste of Hannah Montana and is now in love. She also loves cheer leaders. Matthew makes fun of her but I say nothing. Matt made fun of a lot of stuff Matthew liked when he was a kid because it was so cheesy. But it made him self conscious to the point where he didn't dare like anything. So I limit exposure to that kind of stuff. "Yo Gabba" for example - I simply can't tolerate! But other than that what can I do Hopefully she wont be an outcast in our family. :) Just kidding.

Kory said...

Radical. I have fears my kids will be into that crap. Green Day was a gateway to much better things in my youth. Hanna and Miley are on my Bob Saget list, right under Hilary Duff.