There are a few free passes in the English language where you're entitled to be completely honest....regardless of the backlash. And one of them, as far as I'm concerned, is the phrase, "hypothetically speaking".(Before I get to that, though, I'd like to tell my old friend Sarah Baker that I really enjoyed meeting her adorable son and husband last Sunday. Despite our many nests of wasps in the backyard and the fact that they attacked her child, I had a lot of fun reminiscing of old times, and catching up on new ones. You look great Sarah! Thanks for stopping by, and you're welcome to do so anytime you're in the area. And I hope that Timmy isn't physically and emotionally scarred forever).
Okay, back to my semi-pessimistic rant. You see, this has been weighing on me, lately. I've been dealing with my own extremes of stress, as we all do, and yet, life goes on. I'm still expected to juggle my everyday stuff and have obligations that continue, regardless of where I am "emotionally". Again, like we ALL do. And these are some vague examples of what kinds of trials I've been coming across. For my personal journal. (As you can tell, this will be a long, drawn out post. You may want to skip it. This is the final warning).
Getting to my point. When starting a question with the words, "Hypothetically speaking", basically you're alleviating yourself of any responsibility for anything you're about to say. Does that make sense? You're essentially saying, "Say this happens". And in reality, it HAS happened, and usually it's happened to you or someone you're close to, but you can pretend that you're the third party that's just happened to overhear everything, and is casually concerned about all possible outcomes.
For instance. Hypothetically speaking, what if you know someone that is as ignorant as you are politically, however, that person makes accusations and overly dramatic statements that they insist are absolute truth? Would you think that person is a hypothetical "dumb ass"? I would.

And hypothetically speaking, what if someone tells you that essentially, you're an idiot? Because you're doing something that they do ALL the time, but would never admit to--not in a million years. Would you consider that person a hypocrite? Cause I would.
Say you know an adult that is beyond childish. One that you can barely stand to be around because of their incapacity to be rational. Hypothetically speaking, is there anyway to tell them nicely that being around them just gives you a ginormous headache? Hypothetically speaking, of course, I'd really like to know.

And if you know someone that requests and commands by using guilt, hypothetically speaking, is it safe to assume that they should be avoided at all costs? And deemed untrustworthy, because they will just try to play on your emotions to get you to do what they think you should? Without giving any concern as to something like....it being your life and maybe you should be able to make your own decisions and happiness?

So...yeah. If I were saying these things to someone's face, it could be considered rude, or disrespectful, or me just trying to cause trouble and hurt feelings. But all these instances are hypothetical, you see. So I can't really be held responsible for how someone will take all the questions I just hypothetically asked. Or can I? You can be the judge. Have a good week, suckas. And you should really try to avoid instances/people that just bring you down and make you miserable. If, hypothetically speaking, you know anyone like that.


9 comments:
Are you really talking about me? Cause that's not very nice, you know I read your blog.
Oh Keri, had I have been talking about you, I would have posted pictures and listed personal examples. Just so you'd know that you didn't hypothetically fill my thoughts, you realistically did.
In other words, NO it's not about you. Please tell me your question was 100% sarcasm. I'm talking about people that I can knowledgeably say don't read my blog. Although, I may just send them a postcard...
Of course it was sarcasm, and in the back of my mind I knew you would worry that it was not, but I thought I'd try and be funny anyway.
You ARE funny. In fact, I read your comment laughingly to Jeff and then looked at his face...and it was complete deer-in-the-headlights expression. So I go, "she's totally joking...right?" And his reply was, "I don't know!" So then I started to worry.
The joke is totally on me. And even more so in Jeff. ;)
Rats, I meant, ON Jeff. But, maybe in, as well.
haha! Love it. I say that, hypothetically speaking, if this was me, I would AVOID, AVOID, AVOID. I'm sure you have tried and I am sure that it isn't easy, hypothetically speaking.
It is like you read my mind. hypothetically speaking of course if I knew such a person...
I totally know the "deer in the headlights" expression on Jeff's face. I love that!
I hate those omission of responsability statements and actually have been learning about them in my class at UVU.
hypothetically speaking, what if said persons are related to you (hypothetically speaking) through marriage and so you cannot avoid, confront, run over them, etc., what do you do then? Hypothetically speaking?
Post a Comment