Friday, January 8, 2010

In a Funk.

So many things are happening, but they're "so-so" in the interesting department.  However, for the sake of giving you all something to read other than miscellaneous Facebook comments and spam emails, I'm giving you the details, anyway.  Yoooou're welcome.  

Syd and I are currently sick.  Not just coughing, sniffing sick, but in-need-of-a-toilet-constantly sick.  (Or, in Syd's case, diaper change and massive consumption of A&D ointment, sick).  Yeah.  Things just got too interesting, didn't they?

In other news,  Cole has lost his second front tooth, however, his previously lost tooth has already started growing in, so the chance that  he's not doomed to repeat my 3rd through 6th grade look, has just gotten better.  Did that even make sense? 




Riley now knows that there isn't really a Santa Clause or any of those other "fun to believe in" beings.  After a few of her questions regarding the unlikely coincidence that Santa has the same penmanship as Jeff and I, and that Santa ALWAYS uses the same wrapping paper that we do,  Jeff and I thought that she had figured out the entire system and decided to let her in on the fun.  However, we were completely wrong, and she hadn't figured it out.  After some tears and confusion, we told her to remember that the true meaning of Christmas is being grateful that Jesus was born and the Holidays will still be very fun,  and that "Santa" will always be dear to our hearts, because his example is to reward those that are good to others and make children happy. We also told her that we'll need her help during the holidays to be our best sidekick for her little brother and sister, who are still "believers".  Like the Riley we know and love, she accepted the responsibility with grace and enthusiasm and we recently instated her to be the tooth fairy for Cole's aforementioned tooth.  She did a fantastic job.   
Syd has decided to stop saying MaMa, for BaBa.  Normally this wouldn't upset me, but she is still adamant about saying "DaDa", and my jealous nature seems to be as prominent as ever.  She has been so sweet, even though she's felt crummy, and when I came down with what she has, I realized that what I had originally thought of as her being "whiny", was actually her being brave and stoic. Because these stomach pains and dizzy spells are killing me. 
Jeff is constantly working on some freelance stuff that makes me feel like I'm married to an android having an affair with his laptop.  I know that this means money for us and a lot of hard work for him, but sometimes...especially when I'm sick and PMSal, I just want him to drop everything and pay attention to me.  That's not too much to ask, is it?  
Anyway, I am hoping that things are on the mend.  Jeff's freelance is getting finished up, (and I do want to point out that I'm thankful he's in such high-demand), Syd and my stomachs seem to be on the way toward feeling better, Cole says he "feels" a tooth growing in his empty pit, and Riley is now excited to be a "Santa's Helper" next year.  I have high hopes for the upcoming week.  I do have to attend Parent/Teacher conferences on Thursday after the kids have school, and then we all have a four day weekend.  So that's good stuff, right?  Hope so. 

8 comments:

KaSs MiLeS said...

sorry you guys aren't feeling better. we tried aquaphor last night, it worked like a miracle!!! story is looking so much better. desitin is usually my miracle, but it didn't do any good this time around. anyway, hope things turn up soon!

Moriah said...

Oh, sucky sicky. Feel better soon! Poor Riley. I don't remember ever being upset about the real Santa story. What a little sweetie Riley is. My little nephew Landon is seriously questioning the whole thing too. 6 years old and VERY skeptical. It almost feels wrong to keep up the facade when he is so questioning of everything, but maybe next year he can get in on the goods. Santa is just too fun.

KaSs MiLeS said...

jerome was pretty sad for riley.

Kelli said...

I'm sorry you're sick...and not answering the door!! We've come over twice this week to deliver your brand new Veronica Mars (thank you Bear River Insurance). Let me know how and when to get it to you.

Amy said...

Man I am so sorry you and squid are sick! Let me know if I can bring/do anything for you.

Kory told me the story of Riley and Santa clause, but his version was much more dramatic, and I was sad for her, except it is time for her to know the truth.

I still remember when I figured it out, I was 4, and I found the doll I asked for in my parents room, then on Christmas day the tag on the present said from SANTA, so my parents were so busted. But for me it was like So that's why I never get what I ask for?

Jeff said...

Kory's version was probably closer to the truth since I explained to him in great detail the whole thing. It was horrible! I felt sick for two days.

Sarah said...

I'm sorry you were both sick - i'm glad you'r on the mend. I've been thinking about the santa thing this year and I decided I really don't like lying to kids about it. Why do we do it? Is it so that kids know that evenutally wise up and don't trust anything parents say? I just think it's weird but I can understand that it makes it special for the kids!

maida said...

I hope you are feeling better by now.
I don't remember ever being sad about the Santa thing, but I still like the myth. I'm sorry it was so hard for Riley.