Sunday, September 12, 2010

Still Kicking



A few personal observations.  


1.  The weather is getting cooler and I'm getting that "rejuvenated" feeling.  Like, you know when you wake up in the middle of the night?  To pee or something?  And then you get back into bed and it's waaaay too hot, and you toss and turn and try to get back to sleep, but it's impossible because you can't get comfortable?  
Well, these past two nights, that HASN'T happened.  It's been cool outside of my covers, and snuggling up and getting comfortable only takes like, eight seconds rather than an eternity.  I've actually gotten some sleep.  And this makes me happy.  


2.  I might be swayed into doing something I swore I never would. 
I'm so embarrassed about this, that I can't bring myself to admit what it is...but just know that I'm aware of my being a hypocrite.  (However, I will say that it is nothing politically related.  And I am still an avid hater of the waste of space that is Glenn Beck). 


3.  I'm pretty sure that my neighbors here are OCD about their yards.  I don't know if this is because they're older, or if this is how they've always been, but mowing twice a week?  And watering every day?  This not only boarders on the absurd, but is also a bit on the wasteful side.  Hands down, they have the best yards I've ever seen; even by people that don't do it themselves, and hire landscapers.  But I think there's a line that must be drawn.  And I start drawing it at the notion of mowing more than once a week.  I have a life, people.  
4.  Number three being said, I'd much rather have OCD neighbors than possible meth producing, dog abusing, dirt-bike adoring neighbors.  Because, despite making me look bad, their yard DOES look a bazillion times better.


5.  My TV shows are starting.  I just watched the first episode of Sons of Anarchy.  And next week It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia will start.  And then Big Bang Theory, and then Fringe, and Dexter, and so on, and so forth.  I really love my life, but I sure do enjoy being a voyeur into other, more chaotic lives that seem to have really pretty and charismatic people in them.  


6.  I'm getting older.  And I'm okay with it.  Which is weird to me, because I can't tell if I've just given up, or made peace.  And whether or not there's a difference.  But I'm kind of liking it.  I just don't want to develop jowls. I had a nightmare about it.  And it was ugly.


7.  I've made more peace with the fact that my baby is more like a pet, rather than a, well, miniature human.  As I would look at kids the same size--well, age, I should say, and see them really try to say actual words and interact with those around them, I worried that something was wrong with Syd.  Now I look at Sydney and how she can act out every action on SpongeBob episodes seconds before they happen, or how she will demand to be picked up for her fifteen minutes of pure snuggling at least three times a day, or run to the fridge as soon as she hears it opening, because she knows that I'll let her have some of the whipped cream from the spray can on the top shelf, and I see how she is playing everyone. 
She knows what she's doing.  She refuses to do anything that sounds remotely dull to her, and should she need something, she just will do something cute...or give you extra love.  It's like having a puppy that doesn't shed or ever have an accident on the carpet.  She'll lick you just because, or she'll stick her head in your crotch, and just stay there.  And for some reason, I let her, because I'm besotted with her cuteness. The only difference between her and having a puppy is that when you get angry with her, she doesn't even pretend to be sorry.  She knows that you're pissed, and she knows that you'll get over it.  Cause look what she can do--she can cover her eyes and then peek out at you and say, "aboo".  Or she can hold your hand and say, "eeee" which is I'm pretty sure is her way of copying Jeff and my saying of "One, Two, Three", that we say right before we swing her between us, as that's her favorite game right now.  She may not be a talker, but she's a thinker.  And for now?  I'm just fine with that.  


8.  My husband keeps surprising me.  I know I say stuff like, "he's my best friend", and "he always figures stuff out and can fix anything", and so on and so forth, but where do his endearing qualities end?  
Lately he's been using some brick that his father gave us, and making our yard extra pretty.  I wish I would have taken some "before" pics, but he just surprised me and did this stuff without telling me he was going to do it.  
I'm always amazed at how much work this yard is...we still have a lot more to do, but we need to pace ourselves.  However, it seems like I've been more willing to pace myself, than Jeff has.  I'd be lying if I said that bugged me. This is just another one of the reasons I love him.  Sometimes he knows just what to do make me extra happy. 


Okay....I need to be getting to bed. I have a feeling that this week will be kind of hard.  But I'll make it through.  I have two beautiful daughters, a handsome son, and my best friend to help me remember the good stuff.  And there's a lot of good stuff to be happy about. 
Especially the not having jowls part.  Just yet, anyway.       

11 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

I am so curious about what your embarrassed about. HA HA. I think Syds and Blairs age is my favorite. You can just see their little brains a turning. They are just so dang cute. You have done so much with your yard way to go. We have decided finally what we want to do and next summer we have a lot of projects. We had to figure out our odd sprinkler system and odd slope of a yard this year. We finally figured out how to water without flooding our yard. So next year some major improvements coming our way. Also your OCD neighbors do they have really little kids? I just wonder if your automatically supposed to work in your yard when you get older? I hope not cause I don't really enjoy yard working. HA HA.

rain said...

Brandi--no joke. I don't mind yard work, mostly, but I don't LOVE it, you know? I'm not that lady that will grab her sun hat and her elastic waist jeans and just go to town on her azaleas. All my neighbors are retired and massive flower and shrub lovers. And the neighbors to the north of us are not only OCD about their yard, but ours as well. He took one of his many yard devices and cut all my rose bushes down. And, not that I'm overly upset, but now my orange roses don't grow. I'm hoping next year they do, cause those were my favorites.

Sarah said...

That has made me very curious about your embarrasing situation....do tell! I love the new brick - how cute of Jeff. Yard work is so much work but so satisfying. When we first moved in we put some super strong fertilizer on the lawn and had to mow it twice a week - it was a nightmare - now it's once every two weeks - much better :)

Kelli said...

Syd totally is a pet. She completely reminds me of our cat. And I have been experiencing your middle of the night feeling but mine has been amplified by removing a heater from my uterus. I've been able to wear pajama pants to bed and I love it. And I am SOOO excited to wear boots again!

Anonymous said...

I love this post, Rain. You sound so happy and you little Syd is so cute! Beautiful, really doesn't even begin to describe her and her personality. (Like the other two!) And so you know, yard work doesn't come naturally just because you are old! I enjoy my very tiny yard! OK, WHAT are you being hypocritical about? Love you. And tell Jeff the bricks look great. He is one talented man! Lucky you!

Kory said...

Seriously! What is this secret? That's not even close to what I was picturing with the bricks when Jeff was describing it to me. Looks good though. The only thing you should worry about with Squid is that she doesn't like who is supposed to be her favorite uncle. It's troubling.

KaSs MiLeS said...

i completely agree with you about fall. i think sydney is very smart, she just knows how to get her way without words or effort, which really makes her smarter than everyone else. :) she just takes things at her own pace.
i really like what i've seen of your yard. i'm dying to come see your house!

Keri said...

I love that you talk about your shows like that. I get so much crap about watching tv that I feel I have to do it in secret. But I LOVE to watch TV.

Amy said...

I thought I already commented on this post?

First LOVE the bricks, it looks so great.

2nd, were you referring to our neighborhood, because I am pretty sure you described it to a T. Our neighbors let their dog just run free. Last night I was in my garden it was dark, and BAM their dog jumped on me. She is soo annoying.

Moriah said...

Okay, if I had read this post before, I would have MADE you tell me what you are thinking of doing when we chatted the other night. I am calling you ASAP! And you should 100% not concern yourself about Sydney not talking. You should know by now that kids do things at totally different times and it has no bearing on their intellectual development. She's fine, she's just the baby and she is doing what she wants when she wants, even if happens to be dog-like behavior. Plus, I agree that the yard craziness of your neighbors is a bit disturbing. Talk about water waste! Summer is when the lawns go brown in Seattle because people here are generally conscientious enough to not waste a valuable and quickly diminishing resource on something as superficial as a green lawn. But I do admit, I kinda want to just go do pencil rolls in that grass.

Nice brick work, Jeff! Oh, and your tv watching makes me a bit jealous. Illegal downloads, here I come!
That is all.

Anonymous said...

I looked in the mirror and the jowls are coming!! :( It aint pretty. You've got a few good years left, though, so no worries.

The trick to an OCD lawn is not to do it yourself, but live with someone who "loves" it! ;)