(Just so you know, you may want to skip this post. I'm writing it down for future reference, and to me, it's funny. But I can see how others would label it as "boring").
So a few days ago we set up a "playdate" for Cole. Now playdates with new kids are a bit on the tricky side. First I like to establish some sort of communication with the friend's parent or parents. With Riley, we've slowly worked up to a passable system. With Cole, however, we are starting all over again. This wasn't as obvious to me until recent events occurred. One day at school Cole's friend gave him his phone number. And when Cole got home, he asked if he could call him. The following conversation went like this:
Cole: (as he's calling his friend), "Mom, the phone is ringing".
Me: "Okay, well wait until someone says hello..."
Cole: "Jacob? Jacob? I need to talk to Jacob".
Me: (Whispering), "Cole, you need to say hello to the person, say who you are, and then ask for Jacob..."
Cole: (Nodding at me), "I said I need to talk to JACOB!"
Pause
Me: "Okay when your friend gets on the phone..."
Cole: "Um, can you come over?" "I said, CAN. YOU. COME. OVER".
Me: (Whispering), "Cole, you introduce yourself, you say who you are and then..."
Cole: "This is Cole. Anderson."
Cole: "Okay, ask her. My mom said yes". '
Me: "Ask if his mom would like to speak with..."
Cole: "Okay. Tomorrow? Okay. Bye."
I then asked Cole what was said, and he told me that "Jacob can't come over today." I asked what that part about tomorrow was, and he goes, "oh, he'll just come over tomorrow". I figured that we'd talk about it after school the next day, I'd get a hold of his mom or dad, and then we'd see what would come out of that. I let Cole go outside and ride his bike.
The next day I went out to lunch with two friends from Kelvin Grove. (The place we used to live). Afterward I went to Walmart because Jeff was out of Fast Break candy bars. Yeah. For reals. As I was checking out of the store, I got a text from Jeff saying, "Did you tell Cole that he could have a friend over?"
Upon calling him back, I found out that when the kids got home from school Riley and Cole and JACOB, came into our house, followed by Jacob's mother, who after following the kids home in her mini van, came by to introduce herself to one of Cole's parents. Fyi: this didn't go over well with Jeff. And he reminded me that I was lucky he had showered and was wearing regular pants, rather than pajamas. (Note that I was lucky).
So when I got home, I got to meet Jacob. I was a little worried about what his friend would think of our family...or more precisely, Cole around his family.
But about two seconds after I got home, I found I didn't have to worry.
I brought Jeff's candy bars inside and Cole's grapes and some of my sodas. Suddenly both boys ran into the kitchen, and Jacob began talking...and just didn't stop. Until he went home. So I think they are a match made in a place where kids get along, while driving everyone else that is around them, nutso. However, there were a few things that I found somewhat humorous. First things where Jacob's questions.
"Why are all your chairs on the floor?" (Because Sydney climbs on everything).
"Do you have something to eat?" (We have some toast).
"Grapes!!" (As he's leaning over Jeff, grabbing them and stuffing them in his face),
"I mean, can I have some of those?" (He's pointing to the Sour-Patch Kids on the counter). (Yes).
"Can I have a soda?" (Yes.)
"Does this have sugar in it?" (Um...nope, Splenda).
"Good because sometimes I get sugar rush. And go crazy".
After shoving as many Sour Patch Kids as possible in a plastic baggy, he followed Cole down to his room, except two seconds later he came back into the kitchen and asked me, "Do you allow your son to litter in your house?" I told him no, and asked why he mentioned it. He goes: "Well, your son threw that piece of plastic on the floor..."
Cole came around the corner, looking pitiful, and I asked him if he did it. He said yes, and I told him to go pick it up right then, and that he knew better than to throw stuff on the floor. As Cole was running the plastic to the garbage can, Jacob said: "You're a nice mom." I asked him, "Isn't your mom nice?" And he goes: "No. She's really mean".
So Boom. I am an awesome mom. I've been telling everyone this, but they just haven't been listening.
And it went on and on, people.
"Why does your baby keep saying that?" ("Bob-bob, Bob-bob, Bob-bob")
"Why do you just drink that green soda?"
"Why do you have so much candy? Can I have some more of those?"
"What else do you have to eat?"
Three entire hours of this kid. Right before his mom came to pick him up, he had grabbed one of my hair clips, squeezed it a couple times, and goes: "Why is everything in your house so weird?" I just looked at him, and then asked, "Like what, exactly?" Jacob goes: "well, my mom has one of these, (a hair clip, go figure), and it's straight. But this one is...like this." (Curved). I conceded that he had a point and told him: "Well, I guess it's because we are a weird family...and everything we have and do is weird. The only person in our family that is normal, is Cole". Jacob looked at me very seriously and said: "Cole is NOT normal". And to his credit, Cole chose that moment to pretend he was bashing his head into the hallway wall. So there wasn't very much room to argue.
And that was Cole's very first official playdate. Though it didn't go the way I thought it would, I can't say I'm overly surprised at the events that occurred. I've always said my Bubbers was "special". ;) I guess the biggest relief that I have is that there are kids that are just like him, and now I won't be as worried to let him go over to other people's homes without a lot of explaining, first.
So things are good here. I'm assuming somewhat normal, as well...despite my and my family's weirdness. I'm hoping that you all will have a super week. And just for funsies, here's a preview of my Bubby's Halloween costume. (Still in the beginning stages).
Read minolta x 570 manual PDF Ebook online PDF
-
*Pdf Download minolta x 570 manual Epub PDF*
Download minolta x 570 manual Doc Gutenberg
Studу Frее Bооkѕ Onlіnе аnd еvеn Dоwnlоаd еBооkѕ fоr Nо соѕt...
5 years ago


8 comments:
Thats pretty funny. Our neighbor kids have asked the same thing about our chairs and why they are turned over. Kids are so funny. They are even funnier when they get together.
Cole's in my Fave 5.
I don't understand the chair thing. But that's a funny story. Cole is weird, but in a good way.
Loved the story! Thanks for sharing. Love Cole and the pix of Syd. So Sweet. Miss all of you so much. Need to see a pix of Riley! ; ) Love you.
ahh play dates, they stress me out for sure, and I found all your stories very amusing and find myself in your shoes often.
Sounds straight out of a "Modern Family" episode. and BTW I am still teaching Matthew phone manners and he is 16! "Hello? What? WHAT? Hang on a sec!!!" Click
Um. Wow. Kids. Hilarity.
Cole is a total crack-up. And his friend Jacob sounds like a typical boy. And if Jacob is similar to Cole, than Cole is definitely a typical boy.
Syd's costume so far is adorable, of course!
Post a Comment