So I'm not a millionaire. I know. I'm shocked, too. The last time Jeff and I were in Vegas was a little over seven years ago. At that time you could actually put coins into the machines/slots and gamble. So if you had a load of change just lying around, Las Vegas was the place to go. We did. But this time, it wasn't.
Now you're supposed to bring cash only, or better yet, pay for some sort of credit card that attaches to your pocket, and plugs into a machine so you can play for a little receipt of paper that says you can go to one of the cashiers and should you get lucky, they'll give you money. I was never lucky. I wasted a whole ten dollars. I hate this new way of gambling. It's too scary and you can't trick yourself with carrying around a dirty plastic cup of change. So I'm still as poor as I was before, (ten bucks poorer, actually), and for that, I'm glad it wasn't a vacation just for Jeff and me. I'm glad we'd decided on doing a lot of activities and maybe "trying our luck" at gambling on the side, rather than the other way around, as our luck in the gambling area sucked. Big time.
We actually stayed in Primm, Nevada. At Buffalo Bill's. This was because we got rooms for $3.00 a night. We had to get two rooms, because we now are larger than a family of four....but at three bucks a night, we did it without complaint. Also, having two rooms was really nice.
The next day we went to "The Real Las Vegas", as Cole called it. Because we were staying in the "Fake Las Vegas". Our first stop was the Mandalay Bay. I would have loved to stay there--that place is huge and has so much stuff going on. (Instead of just a pool, they have an entire water park...and it's not closed on the weekdays. Fancy that). One day, for sure. We went to the aquarium they had there, and the kids, Jeff and I were really impressed with it. Kory and Amy had mentioned it to us, and they also told us about the miracle that is Google text/search--it allows you to have directions sent to your cell phone by text--why do I never know about any of this stuff?

They had little remote/phone thingies that we had to carry around and listen to the back stories of all the featured animals. I can see where this would be a good idea for those people there that were on a date, or just random couples that were killing a few hours until happy hour. But when you've got kids and babies and loads of other crap that requires your hands, it was just stressful.
Syd's favorite part by far was the the lion fish tank. It had the perfect amount of fish and florescent lighting and they would swim right next to her face.
I've never been one to overly freak out in confined places, but after watching the sharks above, below, and to the sides of me, I began to think about the possibility of the tanks cracking or buckling under pressure. And how we would all die and there'd be no escape. Five minutes into those kinds of thoughts, I was ready for the the tour to be over, and we made our way out. It was a really great experience, though. I really want to take the kids to the aquarium in Seattle. I've never seen one that compares, and I know that they'd love it. Ahh...just keep taking these vacation baby steps, and one day...This is Cole and Jeff taking a breather at the Luxor. It wasn't that exciting there, as you can tell by Cole's face.
Then we went to MGM Grand and visited M&M and Coke world. There was an actual lady dancing on the bar at MGM. I was kind of mezmerized as it was about 5 o'clock in the afternoon, and people were just drinking and not paying attention to her....Worst. Job. Ever. I almost took a picture, but thought it way too "touristy" for me, even. Then it got me thinking about strippers...as there are billboards and flyers everywhere to go see them. And though as a stripper you normally have a rock'n bod....you also have to dance/jiggle in front of a bunch of creeps while they occasionally stare, leer, and eat. I really come up short when I try to see the upside of it. I guess if you're successful, the money would be the only positive. As I watched that lady dance on the bar for all that she was worth, I imagined that I'd just be a fat stripper that would get pissed no one was noticing I'd skipped breakfast, lunch and dinner for the last two months in a row, and I'd have to admit defeat.
Coke and M&M world were quite interesting...Coke moreso than M&M in my humble opinion, as M&Ms are, I believe, the biggest waste of space in the candy world. (Unless they are almond or peanut butter). My little family disagrees with me, however, but this is my blog, so I can voice MY opinion. The last pictures are of us on the Strip. Though you can't tell, Jeff was actually holding both Riley and Cole up level to him. He was way bummed that I didn't show that in the actual picture, as he was using severe muscle all the while I was trying to get a photo that worked with him and the kids in it. But I feel like I need to explain for all his hard work; that he's still a complete and utter "He-Man", even at the old age of 32.
Our final day in Nevada was Cole's birthday. Happy 6th, Bubbers! All he needed was another year of courage, and he was willing to go on the Desperado with Jeff. Technically he was about an inch shy of the height limit--but that sneaky kid stood on his tiptoes while he was being measured. And no, he had no coaching from either one of us. Not one to be shown up by Cole, Riley decided that she'd go with me after Jeff and Cole got back. I was excited to go, but going with Riley could turn into a nightmare--as she's that kid that pukes when being spun on the swings. So while Jeff and Cole went and rode the rollercoaster, Riley, Syd and I went to the arcade and played games. FYI, Riley and I are pros at skee-ball.
Following the rollercoaster rides and arcade, we went to the outlet stores at the Primadonna Casino. No pictures were taken, while there, sorry. Not that you all haven't seen an American Eagle or Gap or Bath and Body Works. Rest assured, though, I got some great deals. Some of the stores shouldn't have been able to have the word "outlet" attached to their titles, as an outlet makes you assume better prices. But, I guess that's just the rule of retail. All in all, our trip was WAY too short. There were so many things that I wished we could have done. If you go to Vegas, a day simply doesn't give you enough time to get past more than three casinos. But though the getting home and re-situated was a bit harder than I'd imagined, I'm ready for our next outing. It IS nice to be in our own beds, though. Until next time, dear readers. One day, I shall be all caught up. Maybe.


10 comments:
Rainey you look great! I am still a fat cow from having Blair. Also you are such a nice wife to let Jeff sleep in the whole time. I would have demanded my turn to Dan. Yes, I know I am a baby but I am all about being equal in the sleep department. Just ask him he has had his turn every single night holding Blair during his shift since this little one won't let you put her down at night. I am jealous of your vacation I would love one.
Oh man that looks like so much fun! I was dry heaving as I read your story about Riley possibly throwing up, and all the "Chunks" used. That is so awesome you got hotel rooms for 3 bucks, you really can't beat that.
So so much fun! I love that picture of Syd looking awed at the fish. Story loves the fish tank at the doctor's office, i can only imagine what she'd do at an aquarium. i hear the one in sandy is awesome btw.
i agree with Brandi, you do look awesome!
Great to see all the pics!! Sorry about the pool. mom's will open within a month or so....
That looks like a lot of fun. We went to Vegas when Vic turned 40, and I just kept thinking, I wish the kids could see this. The aquarium is pretty cool, and a little better than the one here in Seattle, just so you know.
Glad you guys had fun. Happy birthday to you all (almost)!
Way fun! I want to go to Vegas. But I will gladly host you when you come to Seattle to show the kids the Seattle Aquarium. It will be great.
I loved the story about Riley and the rollar coaster and BTW you look great - that top is awesome!
Hey Rain! I agree, you look AWESOME! : ) And that trip looks like so much fun!! I wish there had been trips that were just fun when you were growing up. Somehow, our trips weren't that fun, If I remember correctly. : ( Anyway, thanks for sharing your great vacation and for all the pix of the family. I miss you guys so much.
The roller coaster story was hilarious. We've actually been to the outlet mall in Primm quite a few times - it's one of the few places a toddler can get out and run around after dark between here and Utah, so it's almost a mandatory stop.
It's encouraging to see that family vacations are possible. We also haven't done anything since having kids, but I'm inspired now to try!
My favorite picture has to be of Cole looking a wee bit green. It looks like you had a blast! How did you get a hotel for three bucks? that is awesome!
I'm glad you guys had fun! That picture of Syd and Riley on the bed is so cute! They look so much alike. I'm impressed Cole went on the roller coaster. I took Maggie on Space Mountain and she was so mad at me. She was crying. I thought I was going to have to take her to therapy to get over the trauma of it all. "I'm not afraid of anything!" She said before we went when I asked if she was sure she was up for it. I learned not to believe that again. Happy Birthday Jeff and Cole! And Riley?
Post a Comment