Monday, November 23, 2009

Giving Thanks, Part 2.

I've been blissfully happy, lately.  I don't know why, and as a pessimist, I have learned to not question the good stuff, because it comes so rarely.  But life has been really good for me.  And not that it isn't most of the time, but personally, I've never felt as self-assured, or as "in control" as I have of late.  I was reminded by my sister-in-law, Kassie, about how miserable we both were last year at this time.  How I was limited to best rest--and though some days it sounds like the best thing ever, after you've slept a couple hours and are bored to death, you immediately know that bed rest is nothing more than boooooriiiiing.  And the pregnancy part was felt every second of every day and night, and I couldn't eat good stuff, and I missed out on the Black Friday sales, and Jeff had to go in my place, and there was family drama...as there always is, but the worse kind that seems to show its ugly face around the holidays.  
This year, none of that is happening. (Or if it is, I'm not taking part). I'm really thankful for it.  I know that those are things everyone usually has to deal with...but I was really worried that when the holidays came around this year, I wouldn't be able to deal.  And I haven't had to.  I truly believe that sometimes you do get the breaks in life that you need.  Even when the chances of them coming along are slim to along the lines of winning the lottery.  To those that may not understand my reasoning behind this refusal to "be involved", I'm sorry.  But I'm taking care of myself right now.  And I've really enjoyed my own attention.  
Anyway, Muff and I are going to what we've lovingly named D.A.T.S.  Day After Thanksgiving Sales.  And I'm so thrilled.  A lot of the time there aren't more than three or four things that I really have my eye on, but being there, feeling all the excitement, and watching the crazies, I soak up all the emotion and almost feel a sort of high during the day.  Maybe I'm part banshee or something.  Sharing this ordeal with my sister(s) and other people that are with me, is one of the highlights of my year.  And then coming home and showing Jeff all my treasures is right up there with the sales themselves.  The going and returning stuff isn't as fun, but I've come to realize that that's a necessary process of the entire ordeal.  It's worth it, having a day I just get caught up and buy whatever I see.   K.  That's all the space I'm going to give to D.A.T.S. on this post.  Although I love it so much, and am so excited to go, I also know that the entire activity isn't exactly noble.  Kind of like gambling, or winning the lottery.  It's selfish and materialistic and totally unrefined.  But my baser instincts love every second.  (Maybe the "sisterly time" redeems me a little?  Not really?)

I'm so thankful that the kids only have school two days this week.  And we are now officially done.  With the weather being cold and the Christmas decorations being up, they're both very ready to just stay in their pajamas all day and drink hot chocolate, and watch movies, and eat popcorn.  And play with toys.  Not that this is completely saved for holidays, as this is the drill most weekends, however, extended weekends are our favorites.  An extended weekend with the previous examples plus excellent food and unrestricted shopping?   Paradise.  This last weekend, both Riley and Cole played  with all their Littlest Pet Shop and Gormitis.  I don't know exactly what the latter are, but they seem to be little monsters that Cole thinks are the greatest toys ever.  And so does Syd, as she can put 3/4 of each toy into her mouth and walk around like that.  Saturday Riley and Cole were playing with their toys on the kitchen table.  (Because their room is too much of a pigsty, and they can't sit in front of the TV, as that's just an invitation for Sydney to come over and "play" with them).  So they sit side by side, playing with different things, and occasionally incorporating the other's toys in their storyline, but not too often.  They saw my phone and each had to show me their set-ups so I could take pictures.  (A very good example of the differences between boys and girls, I thought).  This was Riley's:



Nice and precise.  Just like my little girl. She wore her sweet, serene smile as I noticed the way everything was cutesy and innocent and simply displayed the colors and the smallishness of the fish.  And then, this was what Cole set up for me:



As he was waiting for me to get the picture with my phone, he goes:  "The one on the bottom is like a horse, mom. Get it?"  
I sure do, Cole.  I suuuuure do. :)
So, I hope that all of you enjoy the ones you're with this holiday.  I'm really confused as to where the time has gone, because last year seemed to pass a lot slower, but I'm grateful to be here.  I'm grateful to have heat and food and family and friends.  I'm grateful to have an able body, and mind.  (For the most part).  
Enjoy this Thanksgiving.  Eat a lot, enjoy your company, and take time to remember those that you love and appreciate.  And if you can, do something for someone else.  And do it without any expectations of a "thankyou", or returned favor.  Sometimes this is best way to see the things we are thankful for.  Just a thought. 

 


7 comments:

Kyle said...

I can only assume a lot of leather is involved in that horsey ride.

I'm glad you're doing so well and are aware of the things that are making you happy. It's funny how you say you're a pessimist, but then go on and talk about how everything is going so well. I hate to break it to you, but at least in this post, that makes you a very blatant optimist.

Sucker.

KaSs MiLeS said...

Love the horse. Pretty funny. ;)
I too am excited to go to the sales, however i have like 2 things i want at every store and don't know which one to do!!! so overwhelming. i might bite the bullet and buy some stuff tonight and be okay with the price.

Moriah said...

Your life is so good because you have made great decisions. Congrats on that! Good luck with your shopping today!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Those pictures are great! The last one of course, made me pee my pants.

I hate the Black Friday sales, and do NOT like going out shopping that day. I think this stems from my childhood, where my parents would drag us to the mall in Idaho and we would be there ALL BLOODY DAY. At the time I didn't know it was because they were scoring super cheap stuff for us for christmas, I may have been a little happier about it, but it seriously was a lousy way to spend your Holiday/birthday.

However, now that I am an adult on a tight budget I can appreciate the sales and the sacrifice my parents made dragging 4 bratty kids around just so we could have a better Christmas.

We ended up going out this year and getting a GREAT deal on something, you will have to check my blog and see a little later this week. :) I am pretty stoked about it and it was well worth going out into the madness.

Leah said...

Happy Thanksgiving! This is kind of sappy but this year I am thankful that I have reconnected with old friends (if only online) through the wonders of the internet. I really appreciate getting a glimpse of your life through this blog.

Kory said...

I always scroll through blogs looking at the pictures first, I have to say, the last one caught my interest! I still do that with Amy's toys and things.