Saturday, May 15, 2010

Two out of three ain't bad.

First off, this is not a homage to Meatloaf's song with the same name.  But it is in reference to it.  Because I find that song extra insulting.  Have you ever listened to the words?  Probably not...because Meatloaf, (aside from his role in Fight Club), is in my opinion, pretty lame.  However, the song, "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad", fits my life experiences at this time.   Fits this household's life experiences at this time.  Let me just say that at first this post was labeled:  "Bleh".  And I had to change it.
Okay.  So, you know when you get to the end of a really good dream, and by really good dream I mean the kind where everything you want pretty much falls into your lap...not the gross kind.  Anyway, everything you want just keeps getting put into place, and it feels like that's the path your life is now on...missing paperwork?  Found it!  Continual headaches and exhaustion?  Not anymore!  Constant phone calls to and from Realtors, Lenders, and Financial inquirers, etc.? No more answering of my phone is required! Those have been my dreams of late. Pretty much continual awesomeness.  And then?  And then I woke up.  And I'm freaking sicker than I have been in forever.  I mean, I can't talk, I can't breathe, I can't sleep, I can't be in the same room as normal people and NOT sound like I'm going to hack up both my lungs in loud, obnoxious bursts.  But that was okay, because I had stuff to do.  I had things to pack; things to clean.  

And Jeff has been preoccupied with putting sprinklers in our backyard--a job that was supposed to last two days, and has turned out to be an ongoing two week job, due to the way Americraft hastily put our sprinklers together willy-nilly.  After the digging, the fitting, the gluing, the BAZILLION runs to Home Depot, he thought he was done.  And FOUR more times of that same routine, he was.   As you can see, Jeff's been busy too. 
So last Monday, I was mopping my floor...and not hating it and being positive because it's my new tile.  And I was thinking that it was just so much easier to clean than old, cheap linoleum.  
Until I saw a water spot.  Where I hadn't yet mopped.  Immediately I was ticked with Syd and her not-cute habit of throwing her sippy cups to the floor when she gets tired of carrying them around.  And then there are big puddles of Apple Juice in various places.  Occasionally, she gets by me...usually when JEFF is supposed to be watching her.  Anyhoo, this wet spot was different...it looked like instead of a spill, that it was more like a drip.  From way up.  So, that's where I looked.  And there was a teeny drop that chose to fall at that moment.  From the ceiling, just out of a spot that I never would have noticed had I not been standing right under it.  Just over a week away from our closing date...the inspection and the appraisal had just passed, and things were starting to actually happen.  This is when panic started to set in.  
From there Jeff and I were convinced that the kid's toilet was leaking.  And it was.  There was water all around the base of it.  Jeff fixed it, and sealed it better.  And now it doesn't leak.  For the sake of time and effort...I'm now just going to outline what came next:
-Happiness for one day
-Then back to panic on Wednesday night
  (Jeff had just laid down, and I was in the kitchen getting some medication that would hopefully knock me out, and help me avoid coughing in Jeff's face all night.  In grateful relief I started the dishwasher and looked up where we "used to have a leak".  And I saw a YELLOW water stain, in a different area than the first time).
-I wake Jeff to tell him to go look at it.  We are both tired, and get less than 2 hours of sleep that night.
-Jeff comes home from working all day then racquetball at night, and checks ALL possible water sources:  the kid's bathtub, toilet, sink, washing  machine. 
-Meanwhile, I do laundry in our crappy washer and dryer. (Laundry relaxes me).
-Seeing no alternative, Jeff opens up a hole in our ceiling...exactly six days before our supposed   closing date on selling this house.

-After the hole is opened up, Jeff sees that not only is there a hidden light socket behind the drywall, but the exact spot he's opened up has been opened before.  (We are the only people that have lived in this house...Ah, Americraft, you are truly a classy home builder).
And finally, after all that?  We find that our crappy dryer is the cause of all the damage.  I had told Jeff that something was wrong with it...that we kept getting water in the dryer, and the clothes would take like FOUR cycles to get dry.  That's not an exaggeration.  One day I hung two pairs of pants out to dry, and they were done before the clothes that were put in the dryer were. Anyway, in the hole, Jeff saw that water was dripping out of a sheet metal pipe...where a screw had been placed.  Apparently, eight years of lint build up in a non-code dryer pipe will foil all your plans. And trap so much water where there should be only air flow, that it will put a literal pool in your ceiling.  Good stuff to know. 

And here's what Jeff drug out of the vent...

Water and smelly lint that had been in there for who knows how long.  Who knew the result of cleaning stuff would be so nasty?

So now, even though we only have 6 days before we are supposed to close on our new home...we need to pack, we need to sleep, we need to get better so we can have a little freaking energy.  And, we need to patch, mud, tape and sand that hole in the kitchen.  And texturize it so it doesn't look like we just fixed a leak and lose our sale. And then we need to use as little laundry as possible because both our washer and dryer are completely jacked.  So, no relaxing for me.  

Needless to say,   After my "Grateful" post I didn't feel overly excited to blog about my last week. Luckily the sprinklers now work, thanks to Jeff and the leak is now not leaking, thanks to Jeff.  So, two out of three ain't bad, right?  Yeah, but it's still pretty sucky.   Fingers crossed, we'll get mad amounts of stuff done this next week.  And if that happens, I will be grateful, even if I still feel like absolute crap.

13 comments:

Keri said...

gosh, you guys are real grown-ups now.
So where are you moving to?

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

Oh no I am so sorry. Just throwing this out there but I think that you have to tell the new home buyers about the leak. If not and they find out then I think you can get fined or something. I would just look into it. Cause I know you have to answer all those questions about those things (which I am sure you already did.) but I could be wrong.

rain said...

Brandi, I was worried, too. In fact, this was something that I've spoken with people about. However, it turns out there is NO leak...the problem was the lint duct. The home builders built it over 15 feet longer than code allows, and put the nails in wrong..so lint can be trapped on them and not get blown free. Add that with the steam that a dryer must get to absorb the water from the clothes, a dryer that's pretty much a piece of crap, and eight years of lint build up because we had no idea, and that's where the water was coming from. No massive lint build-up=no leak. That was just an unfortunate byproduct that we are dealing with four days before closing. I'll tell them to clean the lint from their trap, and have a nice dryer. The rest is in their hands.

rain said...

Keri--Spanish Fork. Like, eight miles away. ;)

Amy said...

OH MY H E Double hockey sticks! That is the worst thing I have heard. I am soo so sorry. And you know what I think you guys are good for just telling them. The guy we bought our house from was not honest at all. He withheld a lot of stuff from us about our house. Seriously, let me know if I can do anything for you.

Kyle said...

Good job on fixing it.

I would have just been like... huh... weird puddle. Lets mop that up.

Moriah said...

Gross! You're lucky it was a leak and not a fire.

Kory said...

Did jeff pose in that last picture just for your blog? I've got tons of extra drywall if you guys need any.

Lora said...

Crap-o! What are the odds that the problem lies dormant all this time right up until it's time to close?! Keep your chin up 'cause you're almost outta there (and everything else passed with flying colors)!

Sarah and Mike said...

Rain, that bites! All of it! I'm so sorry. I wish I lived closer because I have tons of laundry and you could relax your guts out! Good luck you are almost there!

Larraine said...

testing

Larraine said...

OK Rain, I have redone my password AGAIN! I will try to not lose it this time. No wonder I haven't heard from you. I hope you are feeling better. Wow, the crud that happens, eh?! Is all fixed and better now? DId you close? How is everything else going? You have an awesome husband who can and DOES do all the things necessary to keep things going!

Shauna said...

I have extra drywall too you can have and some mud. About 10 full sheets. I am so impressed with Jeff's fix it skills and you know every house has it's problems, even new ones and those people are getting a house that has really been looked at and taken care of... they are lucky!!! So don't think otherwise and your honesty will bring good karma!

I am now just reading the past few posts...love the pics of Syd, Lynus liked the one of her throwing a fit, he could relate I guess.