Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My birthday boy


So today my little boy turned 5. If you ask him how old he is, he'll just hold up his hand with his five little fingers splayed starfish-like. Then if you ask him what number that is, he'll reply fourteen-two. Even after counting all of his extended fingers to five. He's my kid, and numbers aren't apparently on his need-to-know list yet. Except when it comes to counting his transformers. Then he really takes notice. Apparently I'm a breeder of shallow children. This entire day has been filled with Cole telling strangers and family alike that it IS his birthday, and he IS expecting gifts. (You can vouch for this, can't you Amy?) This morning started off fine. I woke up later than usual, neglecting my morning 3 mile walk to try to decorate for Cole's special day; I'm thoughtful like that. I was going to do something special for breakfast, but at Jeff's request, and because we're all kind of grossed out by food that early in the AM, I didn't. And I didn't mind a single bit. So I woke Riley at 7:30 and as usual, she was highly offended that I woke her, much less a half hour earlier than normal. She got the clothes on that SHE picked out for today, (please notice that it's neither Friday, or a day she speaks in front of her class--am I growing? Leaps and bounds, my friends.) and I went to wake Jeff. He's been doing a lot of freelance, and it's kept him up until around 2 a.m. each morning. He's not a chipper morning person anyway, so the only thing that saved me is the birth of our son five years ago. Jeff got to wake the birthday boy, as it rarely ever happens. I was frankly amazed Cole was still asleep, because last night he was awake until at least midnight, asking every thirty minutes if it was morning and therefore, his birthday, yet. Anyway, it didn't take long for him to insist that we all go downstairs and "watch him open all his presents". He's never been this excited about a birthday before, so I was pretty interested in how the next ten minutes would pan out. I had to post this video, because it says everything I really couldn't:


I know it was a bit lengthy, however, my delightfully and melodically shrill voice, on top of the stops and starts, should have been well worth it. Also, if you didn't make it all the way through, I totally understand. What I really wanted you to notice was what he said about me being able to return a different toy. Both of my children have witnessed my relationship with retail and returning. If there's something cheaper, better, or more needed, I have no qualms about returning or exchanging things. (As long as it's not damaged or used...I have some standards). He had been waiting for that particular Transformer for two weeks. It's name was Ravage, but he calls it Cabbage. It took me a while and Jeff to spell it out for me, that Ravage was Cabbage, and vice-versa. Anyway, because he got it for his birthday, I could return his toy that he bought with his birthday money yesterday. He wanted to make sure that this was an absolute keeper; willing to sacrifice another toy to make sure he wouldn't have to let this one go. I've had to explain to him a couple times today that Cabbage is his, no matter what. I won't take his birthday gift back, even if he is driving me crazy. (I forgot to mention that sometimes this is a bargaining tool for me, too. i.e.: "If you don't clean your room, pick up your books, get in the bath, etc., I will take every one of your toys back to the store.) So maybe I have a few more motherhood kinks to work out. Overall, today was pretty good. Cole let me take a nap, something that I pretty much do everyday, but it was his birthday, so I feel immense guilt about that. He'd come into my room a few times while I slept, to tell me about something he created with his new toys, but I think the fact that he had these new toys is my only saving grace. Otherwise I'd feel like a totally negligent mother, and not a mostly-negligent mother, like usual.
So now it's time to go to sleep, lately my favorite time of day. Jeff and I sent Cole to bed, hopped up on his shake from Carl's Jr. This, thanks to his great-grandma and grandpa Teeples, is now his favorite restaurant. I don't recommend it if your stomach is a bit sketchy anyway...the outcome isn't good. He had to have a wind down period, a little down-time, too. He kind of got weepy and told us that he didn't want his birthday to be over. He wanted to get lots of presents tomorrow, too, and when we told him he'd have to wait until next year, he had to cry for a few moments, and be overly sad about this day ending. He saw the birthday card that his grandma Fairbanks gave him and picked it up and hugged it. Melodrama runs deep in this family. Jeff and I told him we loved him and it was time for bed, and I asked for one last picture. He surprised us by saying, "I love you mom, I love you dad....thanks for all the birthday presents you gived me. I'm gonna go clean my room and then play wiff dem.
Jeff and I looked at each other and laughed. Sometimes that's the only thing you can do as parents, because your kids surprise and confuse you so much. So goodnight, my sweet boy, though tomorrow is just another day, it's another day with you in it, and for that, I'm so thankful.
Happy Birthday!

5 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

Happy bday Cole! Dan can't wait till Lukas reaches an age to love transformers. He even bought Lukas a Mr. Potato head transformer for Christmas. Needless to say that is one of the least played with toys in our collection. It sounds like Cole had a great bday.

Keri said...

That's so sweet, I'm gonna cry.

Amy said...

Yeah he is so cute! I love how enthusiastic he is about his birthday! And don't tell him, but he may be getting a birthday surprise from us today as well. it may be tomorrow too depending on how the day pans out. We are still debating on the whole sea animal thing, haha! I loved the video and how he separated his toys from the trash. :)

Moriah said...

Oh my God. Cole is sooo funny! And a good looking little kid. The part that blows me away is that the last time I saw you, you were pregnant with him! That is way tooooo LONG!

KaSs MiLeS said...

That is so cute! He's such a sweet boy! You are very lucky to have such a great Jeff clone. Happy Birthday to him!