Friday, April 4, 2008

Wanna see something gross?

Ahhh...Those four words. I am always amazed at how I react to them. Do I want to see something gross? Not really...but now that you mention it, I guess I have to look and see if in fact, I do find it gross. And I can never answer "No". I will ask what it is, and an especially crafty person will ignore my question and just ask me if I want to see or not. The result is always the same: Now I have to see, so bring it.


What you are seeing here, besides some moles and a too-close-for-comfort look into my nostrils, is Herpes Simplex Virus....uh, 1? 2? I'm not sure which is which. Suffice it to say, there is no genital herpes going on, I swear. So whichever virus that affects the lip area, is the one I have. This, my friends is after a year of taking Valtrex...which, coincidentally, IS for genital herpes. A fact that I quickly expressed to my doctor, as I was asking what I could do about the enormous cold sores that I get once or twice a year. (He told me that Valtrex would make the viral outbreaks a lot less severe, and it works well, so why not?) This, though ugly, is very small in comparison to the ones I used to get. Jeff labeled me "turtle-lip" a few months after we were married...and that was being nice about it. There have been times that I've actually measured 2 inches of lip grotesquely covered in cold sore ooze. Too much information? Maybe so. But I wanted to realistically share with you what I have to deal with when I get stressed out or sick. This is why I try to remain ignorant of the terrible ways of the world, and try to avoid colds at all costs.
I've been stressed lately. (Obviously). I can't say why, it's a private matter....and Jeff has questioned my ability to be a private person. Well, this is one subject that I wont be sharing with all six of you that are reading this. So there.
The major problem with this physical setback, though, is the time it's occurring. My husband turns 31 on Sunday. He took today off so we could actually have some time to be together. Currently he's still asleep, and probably will be so for the next three hours. However, I wanted to go out today. I wanted to dress up and pretend that I didn't have any kids, and I wasn't that lady that sometimes doesn't shower until two in the afternoon and then still gets into pajama pants. I didn't want to wake up and look at my son while he's asking me a question and stops in the middle of it to ask what's wrong with my face. And then doesn't finish his question, but instead tells me, "I just don't wanna look at that", and walks away. I'm pretty sure pajama pants are still on the agenda today.
I'm sure that we will go out and do something a little out of the ordinary...it just sucks that this is when I get a cold sore--not when I am scheduled for a dentist appointment, or have to teach in church or at another time when it would be almost convenient.
I just want the record to show that I do feel bad about what a crappy wife I am at times. That being said, I also went against Jeff's request of putting a picture of the offending sore out here for the world to see. (Or, as I said before, you six readers). He told me last night that he doesn't like when people put gross stuff on their blogs...and I said it's a good thing it's my blog, and not his. I have to be the first to tell everyone that yes, I know there's a pretty disgusting problem with my lip, and I totally see it. I wouldn't want anyone thinking that I'm just not aware, you know? Do you? Well, you've read my other posts, so this shouldn't be too surprising.
Anyway, that's all I got for now. I'm giving you all a break, as this post is like, half as long as all my other ones. I'm pretty sure this is also because of my cold sore, so in that way, for you, it can be a good thing.

5 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

HA HA Rainey you crack me up. I am so with you on the sometimes I just want to get dressed up and pretend I am not just a mom thing. I too do the get out of the shower and put jammie pants back on thing. AHHH the joys of being a mom. I however do not envy the cold sore thing. Those don't feel good either.

KaSs MiLeS said...

Sorry about your herpy lip. When i hung out with you it wasn't bad at all! I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out. :0) It could be a lot worse.

Amy said...

yeah I have seen worse, those run in my family as well, but luckily for me I only get fever blisters when I fry my lips teaching swim lessons. But I sympathize completely.

Moriah said...

Alas, herpe lip affects a lot of people. Curse the adult carriers who think they need to kiss cute little kids. I blame them for sure. But at least you're not alone in the world. Go have fun for Jeff's birthday and send him happy happy wishes from me! Good luck with that stress there. Hopefully it diminishes soon. xoxo

Nately said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one in our family with herpes! Oh... of-the-lip, that is. Who gave it to us?!?! I will forever seek out the carrier and chop their lips off! Sorry... I woke up too early and in turn get a little crazy when I do. Anyhow, I hear you sister... I hate having fatty lip face and tend to get it every couple of years. Lucky for me, not EVERY year, but it's still traumatic!