Monday, September 22, 2008

At this point in time:..


So, not a lot has been happening 'round here. This is good, really. (Possibly not for you readers, however....as is obvious in my last few posts). I now have ten weeks exactly until Sydney gets here, but I'm assuming it will actually be eleven weeks, as my babies don't come unless they're made to. People keep telling me that this is the time where "everything flies". However, I've had two previous children, and that wasn't my experience then, so I am resigned to think that this won't be my experience now. The end for me, is a lot like the beginning: uncomfortable, nausea-inducing, and severe sleep deprivation.
The good thing, though, is I'm more ready for this baby than I was for the other two. I know that I don't have to work, and this is a true relief. Then there's the fact that Jeff's job gives him Mondays and Fridays off, so I don't have that "I'm going to be alone all week long" fear. Also, the season will be perfect for having a new baby...the kids will soon have Christmas vacation, and that will be two weeks where I won't have to worry about getting them to school and getting them home. Little things, these, however, I remember wondering if there would ever be a time when I could just pee or shower without having to worry about disrupting the baby. So when I think of having to make three trips daily to and from Riley and Cole's school, it's pretty intimidating.
Everything is suddenly harder: Putting my shoes on, wearing clothes, showering, I'm sure you get the point. However, I also have these spurts of, "Get off your butt, Fatty!" Moments when I need to do something. Last Friday I mowed the lawn and about killed myself--I'd been too lazy. Then on Sunday I put my Halloween decorations up, and between climbing ladders and the cleanup, had to take a four hour nap today. Seriously. I've always prided myself on my being physically capable of doing stuff--not that I've been good at it, mind you, but I could do it. So I guess at this point in time, I wonder if this is normal.
Aside from the continuous crying, (check), and the swollen ankles, (check), My memory from six years ago is completely gone, and I don't remember how I dealt with being pregnant with Cole. Am I just being a big, fat, baby? Or is feeling like this fairly normal? I can't tell you.
Jeff is steadily getting more and more to do at work. This is good, as he was concerned that he'd eventually die of boredom, and he worried that he wouldn't get the chance to show his stuff. But things have started to pick up, and he's busy. Jeff used to be the guy where the less he had to do, the better, but you know, with great power comes great responsibility and yada, yada, yada. Somehow the man I married turned into the business type. Sometimes it's just odd to be an adult, I guess.
Riley is enjoying school, however, she is beginning her times tables and I'm an idiot. So this mixture spells disaster for both of us. I know my multiplication, however, explaining it to my eight year old is another matter. Explaining it without ensuring frustration on both sides is even more difficult. So if anyone has any good suggestions of an easier way to help her out with this, let me know. On a lighter note, she's also going through this phase of realizing that boys do weird things. She'll ask me questions about why boys will hit you, or pinch you, and then get their feelings hurt when you call them, "jerks" or "mean". I've told her it's because they like her and they want her attention. She asked me why they just can't say nice things or tell her that they like her and they want to be her friend. Why indeed? It's still a mystery.
Cole loves school. I'm so thankful for this. From all the drama we'd endured beforehand, I really thought we'd have quite a few problems. But other than the fact that Cole really doesn't believe that penmanship is in anyway important, things are going really well. He loves sounding letters out, and he's learning to read sight words. He sings songs all day--with lyrics ranging from Rainbows to brushing his teeth. This morning Riley said she was too sick to go to school, because of a cough. I told her she could go back to sleep for a while, and we'd see how she felt later. Cole, coughing as well, and worried that this meant I would sleep forever, came in to my room as I lay back down and told me that under no circumstances was he going to stay home. I assured him that I'd take him when the time came, and, feeling better about that, he went back to sleep for a while.
After I woke up, I noticed that Riley was feeling better. She was ticked when I told her to go put her clothes on because she was going to get a couple hours of school in, at least. Cole was already dressed....in an outfit that would have worked as pajamas, but not for school. I told him to go put some different clothes on that I'd picked out for him, and Riley helped him find a belt...only to notice that Cole had neglected to put underwear on. This is a new thing for him. For some reason, he just doesn't think that they're important. I differ on that opinion, so he and I sometimes go the rounds. But is this just a boy thing? Or is this a Cole thing? I've asked Jeff, and he just laughs, and doesn't know what to tell me. Anyway, my son never fails to surprise and confuse me.
So that's all there is for now. A lot of information, yeah, but I'm extra chatty this evening, and Jeff is working, so the end result is this. Besides, I always enjoy reading what other's lives are like-- a big reason why I'm a blog-stalker in general.


11 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

Ha Ha about Cole and no underwear. That is hilarous. I am dreading when my kids bring home math homework. I am horrible at math. That is just going to have to be Dans area or I may just have to hire a tutor.

Kyle said...

I've always loved underwear. I wish I could give you some pointers on Cole's aversion... but alas, underwear has always been a requirement and a joy to me.

As for math, there's all sorts of great websites that you could pawn your daughter's learning off onto. http://www.multiplication.com/ for example.

Kory said...

I would not wear underwear as often as I could get away with it. There's few things better than commando. I didn't take him for a school lover either. I'm sure he'll grow out of it.

KaSs MiLeS said...

I'm on the same boat with you! I can't put my shoes on by myself, so every morning i wake Jerome up by throwing my socks in his face and saying, "help!" He's really nice about it and puts my shoes on for me. :0) We'll see how it is when I'm on baby #3, it'll be Story putting my shoes on for me, not Jerome.
They have this thing at Utah Idaho Map Supply in Lindon where you have your numbers on the sides and you push the button and it tells you your times tables. Something to think about... As for the underwear... Best of luck.

Shauna said...

Oh, I feel for you. I hate waiting in general but for a baby to come is even harder.

I love the little songs Maggie comes home with, they're great.

Moriah said...

I love the updates. Keep on keepin' on. Baby soon come. Maybe not soon enough...sorry.

Amy said...

I am with Riley on the whole boy thing, I wish I could tell her they grow out of it too, but alas they don't.

Also, Kory is the same way about his job, he loves going to work and having a job. Which is a mystery to me because I hate work. but I love being busy and making crafts and taking care of kids and doing the dishes,and the laundry, so I guess its just a grown up thing.

Shauna said...

Sorry Rain, I had to copy your map thing. It was too cool to pass up. Where do you find all the cool stuff?

DeSisto Digitals said...

Wait - it's not okay to go without underwear?!?! This is news to me. Is it okay on "Naked Sunday?"

Kelli said...

I hate underwear. Especially my underwear. I use every excuse to get out of it. There's no shame in that. It's a nusance. (I don't know how to spell that word I don't think). Do you feel better now Rainey?

Keri said...

Erik went through a phase where he wouldn't put underwear on. It was just one extra step that he didn't want to deal with. But somehow, he got over it and now it's just his routine to do it every day.