Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Rock, Flag, and Eagle.




Warning: This is one of my rants...and I'm working solely from my opinion.

I've been trying to download youtube videos this morning. And because I'm grossly un-intelligent, it hasn't worked. Not once. But I've been thinking about what "America means to me", lately. I'm pretty sure it's just all the election crap, and so on and so forth....I've already told you how I feel about that. And I really think that Charlie's "America Song" from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, about sums it up. (I recommend you go to youtube and watch it, if it's not something you've seen. It's not too long by any means, and it was all improv, so even that much more impressive). Not that I don't appreciate my freedoms, my opportunities, my chances that I have as a member of this great country. I just get tired of the those people that that TELL me I have to appreciate it, love it, wear it on my shirt, etc. You know? I feel like I can be grateful for all the stuff I'm grateful for, and not have to advertise it each and everyday.
This does not mean that I'm out there, burning flags, spitting on American soldiers, or people that have come to this country for a better life, or trying to invest money to buy my own compound one day--one where I make my OWN laws and such. I mean, I'm not adverse to everything, I'm just not on the bandwagon, either.
Also, and here's where I get on my soapbox, I feel like most that are "Highly Patriotic" are usually also highly trashy. Eww...I'm gonna feel a blast of heat on that one, aren't I? But I do. I often think back to the movie, Borat. The Rodeo part. Does anyone remember that scene? I still think about how sick I felt in my stomach to see an angry mob form so quickly...with nothing more to egg them on than someone spouting nonsense. And really all he had to do to get everyone worked up was starting out with some rendition of : "God Bless the USA." Or how about the forwarded emails that I always get from questionable acquaintances? Some of them are downright terrible...racist and supremest and completely questionable, yet you put some sparkly red white and blue in the background, tell people they'll be poor if they don't send it to ten others, and you're bound to see it at least twice. (Let me just say that although some of you that read this blog have sent forwards, I'm not talking about any of you).
I do want to say that I have my brother-in-law, and he's very patriotic...but not in the previously described way. In the way that I wish most were...willing to look up facts, and read about policies, and honestly find the true details of "what's up". (Another aspect of his enjoyment of Law). Personally, I'm not that invested, so I guess I can be filed under the crappy American category. But I'm okay here. Just know that I am grateful for the advantages that I have, and that my children have. I feel like it's not a perfect system by any means, but when I look at what others deal with, I know that I am truly lucky and privileged. And I have tons of chances and possibilities, and that, in itself, is enough for me to have gratitude towards people that really do take matters into their hands for the bettering of our lives. So there. That's my take on it. It's wishy-washy, yeah....but I think there's too much corruption one way or the other to fully convert myself. Anyhoo, let me know what you think. And if it differs from me, that's more than okay. You never bring Religion or Politics to the table, as they say, and I went there, so I expect some drastic differences.

9 comments:

Moriah said...

Amen sister. I love knowing about political things, but the more you know, the more you kinda really don't even want to know, ya know? (know know know). I like my politics Jon Stewart style. Smart and funny and fair side up.

Algernon Sydney said...

I think it is very important to be informed and know who is seeking to represent you. For instance, I bet most (if not all) of you in Utah had no idea that you don't have to settle for either a Republican or Democrat in the gubernatorial election. There is a third candidate, one that is a total departure from politics as usual. I encourage you to check out his site. He is a totally awesome candidate for governor of Utah!

http://dellschanze.blogspot.com/

DeSisto Digitals said...

I'm so glad you posted that, "C"! I love this guy! He is everything America stands for. You know what else? He is actually pleasing to the eye. I'm so tired of fat ugly old men thinking THEY should be able to run the universe. I know that if elected, the money train will roll on in and fill my pockets! May I also say that when I first moved to Utah, I sometimes felt very alone. Seeing this man on TV really helped to bring a sense of "home" to me. It was very comforting. Please, EVERYONE, visit this guy's blog. He's such an amazing individual.

DeSisto Digitals said...

Sorry to post again... but this is probably the better place to see him:

http://dellschanze.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-06-26T16%3A27%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7

Let me know what you think! Can he count on your vote? He definitely has mine! LOVE YOU DELL!

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

I am not huge on politics probably because I don't know where to go to find information. However, I am learning and for the first time EVER I am now registered to vote. I feel like this election is so important because of everything that is going on right now. I will say how proud I am to live here though. Just listening to my aunt talk about her husband who lives in pakistan (on his way over here in a few months.) at the moment makes me value my freedom even more.

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

Also C I knew that you didn't have to vote Democrat or Republican here which is awesome. I knew that I haven't voted before.

Lora said...

Rain,

I'm with you on the corruption part. It seems to overwhelm any belief (good or bad) in your nation's system. However, the other day I was reading about some key individuals involved during Women's Suffrage, and I was reminded that not only is it important for me to vote because I am a US citizen, but because I am a woman. Even if the system is highly-flawed and the people running it are rich, greedy, sexual deviants, the important thing to remember is that people have fought the system (and still continue to) in order to improve it. When I vote, those are the people I am supporting.

Amy said...

I know what you mean, it is very hard to find where you stand politically and patriotically these days. I took a quiz once on someones blog of course, and it told me I am a Socialist Libertarian and economic Socialist. I have a really hard time with politics, primarily because it is like pigs at the troth when it comes to elections. And I hate the term "unamerican" just because you don't deem it necessary to deck out your truck, (and I say trucks because it usually is one, but other cars work too) on the fourth of July with flag paraphernalia, which mind you was probably all made in china, ironically.

Shauna said...

I have always been emotional about the flag and America. Even when I was little and too young to know what it all meant. I would get teary and choked up with patriotic songs. I don't know why, probably a past life thing. As an adult I do know why and can appreciate it. But... I'm on a new kick now where I don't like groups that think they are superior to the rest of the world. I don't like that Mormons think they are more enlightened than 90% of the planet or that America thinks they're bigger-bettter-faster-stronger than the rest of the planet. I think all parts of the planet are blessed in different ways, and if we see what that might mean, the world would change. I think it all started when I lived in Texas and everything was bigger-better there. Like one big Costco. I'm not saying I don't like bigger-better but I think the smaller can be ignored and missed out on.

It's off the subject, I know. Sorry.