Monday, March 31, 2008

Pearls?


The other day Cole "scared" me, by being an "underdawater guy". He's been telling me a lot of the options he's been considering for his future line of work. Today he told me a couple times that he's going to be a dishwasher ..."cause I really know how to dish, Mom." I'm not sure what that means, exactly, because I am the one that ultimately does every dish in this house. But in another aspect, I was overcome with pride, as I know how to dish too. Speaking of, I have been thinking about the comments from my last post. I know, I know. I come off as a shrewish and materialistic She-Witch. And on top of that, I noticed that the name I chose for this blog is, "Rainey's Pearls of Wisdom". However, after every post, I end up asking for advice. Clearly, I'm not altogether sure about what the hud I'm trying to get across here. On the bright side, though, I am learning how to take constructive criticism. I shared your comments with my fabulous husband, the husband that wrote that fabulous post about me recently, and he said he agrees with those of you that think I'm a freak-show. But he says this in a way that shows he has gotten used to tip-toeing around my crazies for the last ten years. Brandy, Amy, and Muff: Two words for you ladies--first: Solidarity. And second: Sisters. To the rest of you, I'm trying. Obviously this control issue I have with Riley's clothing is a problem, because I have mentioned this exact situation twice. So I'm taking baby steps. I don't want to be responsible for turning my child into me...especially when she has so much life and creativity and love for everything.
In this aspect, blogging has been good for me. I am learning life-lessons without having the crutch of justifying everything as I tell each story. I'm also aware that I have the amazing effect of getting people to agree with the things that I say when speaking to them in person. All I have to do is use the Steele big-eyes as I explain my side of the story, and keep eye contact until the person I'm talking to nods their agreement. (This is a trait I have inherited from my father...I don't think I ever refused anything he said when he'd open his eyes really wide and yell. It was terrifying.) And if they don't seem to be agreeing with me, I just stare until they become uncomfortable, and argue my point some more. (Another tactic my husband has become accustomed to, and as I said before, has had enough time to resist.) So I guess my pearls of wisdom are essentially pearls that I'm considering and picking up from others. This has been pondered heavily the past few days, and even though I sound like a whining, wounded baby, I really believe that I'm learning...and growing. I'm still obsessive and compulsive but at least I'm getting advice on how to appear normal...for the sake of my babies. And as much as it hits my pride to say this; Thanks.

4 comments:

Moriah said...

You are so funny, Rainey. And so is your son. And you are an amazing mom!!! And your wisdom...not just regular pearls...large Tahitian ones! You know you can really make yourself sound so much nuttier than you are? But that's one reason you are funny.

KaSs MiLeS said...

I don't judge, i just enjoy your blog and know that you are being the best mom ever! You are fantastic and i love to read what you write! Tell Cole that he scared me!

Keri said...

It appears that Cole has high asperations (spelling?) like Taryn, she wants to be a mail-girl.

Amy said...

I have to admit that I am thrilled cole wants to be an underdawater guy... because I too wanted to be an underdawater girl, I still do when I grow up.
I think your blog is fascinating, and I think you should keep writing what you write. Let people say what they say and take it as a compliment that others are actually that interested in your life. I look forward to your "e-journals" everyday because you are good about keeping up with it.