Wednesday, October 15, 2008

7 weird things about Jeff

So, this is Jeff. Highjacking Rainey's blog so that I can respond to Shauna tagging me. First of all let me say that I'm sure all of you are thinking "What isn't weird about Jeff?". From my perspective the answer is nothing. So I tried to think of the many times when I've explained something about myself and the response I get is "That's so weird!". I came up with a few and I let my family fill in the rest.

1. Eating. I have many hang-ups when it comes to eating. I can't eat before noon and usually don't until 3, 4 or 5 in the evening. I don't like to eat at restaurants or other peoples houses, in fact I don't like eating anywhere but home. I get grossed out very easily when it comes to food. If I see a spot of mold on something, that's it! I don't eat that particular item for a long time, if ever again. I like to eat the same thing, every day, for every meal. Until that one day when all of the sudden I'm sick of it and move on to the next thing (usually right when Rainey buys a months supply thinking I will be eating this for a long time to come) I can't control when it happens, but it's always sudden.

2. I have been a practitioner of "Manscaping" since I was a young teenager. I don't like being hairy and I take the necessary measures to keep everything at optimal length.

3. I sit when I go to the bathroom and choose a bath over a shower (if time permits). Why stand when you can sit and relax.

4. I can, and have, gone days without speaking. In fact I was thinking just today that I kinda wish I was deaf, that way I could use sign language to do all my communicating. I find it painful sometimes even making the smallest amount of speech. I can fake it with the best of them but I was definitely meant for the digital age. I can text and email all my communications and I can say things I never would have in a live conversation.

The next three are courtesy of my family. I asked my wife and kids "What's weird about me?" and this was there response.

5. COLE: "You draw weird stuff..." then he added "but also cool stuff and pretty stuff, but mostly weird stuff."

6. RILEY: "You say "Ribbit" every time you burp."

7. RAINEY: "You are very accepting of people's opinions, except when it comes to movies. You will fight tooth and nail to get your view across, and then be pissed when others don't necessarily agree."

As I am reading these I realize they are pretty boring. The more interesting ones I can think of probably should stay in my head. If anyone else can think of better ones go for it!

Oh and Rainey has informed me that I have to tag someone now, so I tag my brotha' from anotha' motha', Kyle!

20 comments:

Keri said...

I have also wished I was deaf, not so that I couldn't talk, but so that I couldn't hear. I love silence and think there is too much noise in the world.
You are pretty weird, but that's what makes you so cool. What's interesting about normal?
The eating thing would piss me off though if I had to live with you.

Kory said...

Deaf?! I'd rather be blind and mute before deaf. I could go a long time without talking too. I normally don't because I have a phone job.

KaSs MiLeS said...

Those are pretty good! No. 1 - i do the same thing with food. once that big package has been purchased I'm done with it! it drive jerome nuts! No. 3 - That's really weird that you sit, but i prefer a bath too. you should consider getting a tv in there, its really nice. :0) I liked Cole's comment the best. You guys are strange that you wished you were deaf. that would stress me out really badly.

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

It is weird to me to hear what your thoughts because I've never heard you speak. You seem a lot like Dusty - funny but no one would know it only the wife and kids! Oh and You're art work is amazing - we are big fans!

Shauna said...

That was totally awesome and satisfying. I've been trying to get inside your head since you were little. You seriously need a blog of your own. You seem to "get" everyone elso so well, it's only fair to let us "get" you.

I am the same with mold. That kills it for me for a very long time. Matt's mom served green donuts once and said "It's only penicillin!" like it's okay to have penicillin for breakfast anyway.

I love the answers from your family! You guys make me laugh so hard!

rain said...

I agree with Kory and Kass on the deaf issue. I love music too much and loud sounds are signs of life to me. So I wouldn't do well without any of my senses. As far as the peeing while sitting...try cleaning my bathroom vs. the standing guy's bathroom, and you will become a true believer. (Cole isn't a sitter, and there are puddles everywhere). But, I WILL NOT allow a TV in our bathroom. Jeff would never come out and his hour-plus baths are more than enough time, I believe. I think his pictures are weird, too. Not bad, no, but weird, and a lot of the time, beautiful. And I feel like his burping/farting techniques are just his encouragement for me to perfect my artful eye-roll.

Kelli said...

I feel very honoured that you have food issues but liked my pasta! I just made some last night if you want some fyi. I think it's funny that Sarah has never heard you speak. You should try to see how many years you can make it before she does hear you!

Jeff said...

I totally agree with Keri's comment "What's interesting about normal?" and I would add to that "perfect". Imperfections are what make life fun. I couldn't do blind. I need my eyes to enjoy life. Sarah, if your a fan of my art work then you have heard me speak. Think about that... Yeah... you know what I'm talking about. And thanks for being fans. Shauna, I couldn't have my own blog. I would regret too much. And that's disgusting about the donuts. Kelli, I did like your pasta because I got to eat it at home.

bearclaw said...

first of all I dont think your wierd. I agree with your talking theory, I can communicate much better through text or email.I have always been a fan of your art work, and I would also regret having a blog of my own.
p.s. this is dusty

Jeff said...

Oh Bearclaw, I knew it was you. I'd recognize that kinship no matter what name you were using.

p.s. thanks!

Kyle said...

I second you on the bath vs. shower business.

Sure, it may sound girly... but a bath is like a wonderfully warm blanket that gets perfectly tucked in... tucked in EVERYwhere.

My tagged response is forthcoming. Although yours will be hard to follow.

Amy said...

You are a lot like Kory when it comes to eating the same thing everyday, and then one day getting sick of it. I found that very interesting. I also have issues with mold, that is why I don't like leftovers.

My dad also sat while he used the bathroom...my grandma had four sons and she insisted that they HAD to. But in Kory's defense I have never had to "clean" up after him. He has excellent aim.

I have told you this many times, but I too think you are an excellent artist.

It' weird Sarah has never heard you speak. I would hate to be deaf. People stare WAY too much at people doing sign language, and with out music life would just not be enjoyable. Also consider how boring movies would be without it. Try watching a movie all the way through with the sound off, Trust me I had to do it in my ASL class. it is not as fun. Also, not being able to hear your kids laugh or sing American Idol would be painful as well.

Keri said...

I just want to clarify, since there have been so many comments, that I don't REALLY want to be deaf. It's just one of those vain wishes you make when you're irritated. I would love to be able to turn sound off and on and experience real silence.
Of course Jeff, you could choose the not talking thing without actually being deaf. I read in (oprah) this month about a guy who chose to do it and has done it for the last 17 years.

Jeff said...

Apparently I also need to clarify. Keri explained it pretty well, I don't really wish I was deaf. I just get really irritated some times with speaking, not all the time just on occasion. It's not even the lack of sound that I would like, I can tune sound out pretty well, it's just that I wouldn't be expected to respond verbally. I love music too much and like Amy said, what fun would movies be without sound. I think if I had a screen on my body somewhere that I could text my thought to and then people could just read it, that would be cool.

Moriah said...

Yeah, I think Jeff has Aspberger's. If you ever come and visit me on vacation, you may want to leave that one at home...simply because 1. I love to cook, and 2. I love to dine out at many eclectic restaurants. He may lose his mind.

rain said...

Moriah, I think he does, too. I can handle it now, because I've been with him for ten years, and I've decided that I have to just get used to discovering new foods myself. But when I can visit, rest assured, he'll be here with the kiddies, and I'll be more than happy to sample all sorts of island delights.

Moriah said...

Oh, but on the other hand I want to hang out with Jeff and the kids. We can just have to stock up on the "ingredients" for grilled cheese or something.

KaSs MiLeS said...

Jeff, just the fact that you have 19 comments proves that people are very interested in getting inside your head. Even the slightest bit of information is fascinating with you. :0) its like finding out an intimate detail of a celebrity...

Jeff said...

Kass, I find that somewhat disturbing.