
Ah, Fall. Just the smell of it in the air beckons me, my friends...wakes me up. Makes me anticipate lighting my pumpkin pie and cinnamon candles, just to add to my favorite time of year's ambiance. I'm truly ready for the year to begin. For me, this is when it does.
So, this day has been one of reflection, but in a positive way. There are times when I can't think of truly positive things about my childhood, yet, today, I remembered a few gems.
As I was mopping the floor in my kitchen, (probably my most HATED household chore), I was listening to my ipod. I set it on random, because if I take the time to think of who I want to listen to, I waste time. Also, I always end up listening to my old standbys--even though I have tons of other good stuff to choose from. So random it is. Anyway, as I mopped, I heard the beginnings of a song that I haven't heard in quite a while. Now, for some reflection.
As a kid, I can remember being driven about in my Dad's '85 robin's egg blue Ford Bronco. He loved that car. I loved that car--if there is anyway I can empathize with Jeff's fascination with his now gone Isuzu Amigo, it's for me to remember my father's Bronco. In high school, even though it was ten years old, when I got to drive it, I always felt cool.
So, when I was quite young, and my dad would drive to various places, we'd always listen to the radio. His favorite station was the only one within listening range that wasn't country. It basically played adult contemporary with a few oldies on the side, and sometimes when one of these songs would play, my dad's face would completely change. It was odd to see this. A boilermaker, my father was a "tough guy". He usually looked pissed--a look I have not only inherited, but even improved. Anyway, all of a sudden, the music would start, and he'd suddenly look years younger-actually glow-and grin a big, boyish smile, that I just never saw outside of this situation. He'd tell me "Man, this takes me back". And then I'd listen as he'd belt the words to "Bony Marony", or "Cherokee People".
I liked seeing him that way. For a few moments life wasn't stressful or scary. I always wondered what that would be like, to have music take you away for a time, where things were happier and just better. At like, nine or ten years old, I hadn't had that time or love of music under my belt. So I just couldn't really understand that phenomenon. At thirty, I've actually had quite a few of those moments-- when I'm in my car listening to the radio and "Todd's Nineties at Noon" comes on. I can only handle so much of it, but every once in a while, a song plays that I'd forgotten about. As I listen, I can still remember a certain situation of my teen life that was either good or bad, but just the clarity of the memory, reminds me that I wasn't always who I am now. It's kind of a pleasant experience.
Anyway, as I mopped, the song, "In the Meantime", by Spacehog came on. In spring of 95, Moriah Love and I went on a road trip and of all places to go, came here. Actually, it was Orem. My cousins lived here--they were happy childhood memories, too. Anyway, Moriah and I didn't really have anything in mind as far as coming here went, we just wanted to get out of Buffalo, WY. And for those of you that have been there, the reason for that is more than obvious. Honestly, I had planned on getting a tattoo here, and I did. The giant, greater than hand-sized fairy on my stomach is still a wonder to me, sometimes. (For those of you that are slightly curious, it's normally the size of a golf ball...and yes, thankfully, always goes back). The why I got it and the reason behind the where I put it, is pretty much forgotten. But it's here, and in my eighth month of pregnancy tummy, it's ginormous. Obviously I wasn't thinking ahead or coherently--so essentially it is a great example of a teenage moment.
So, in lieu of this post, I recommend that each of us pick a time in our lives, whether it be good or embarrassing or exceedingly bad...and remember it. See it again by the smell in the air, or the song on the radio. Somehow, it will bring that carefree grin to your face, just to think about how far you've come from that point in time. Sometimes we need a break from the everyday life we deal with...like cleaning house, paying bills, or the mutilation that is my tattooed belly.
Happy Monday, suckas.


9 comments:
Well, i don't have many proud memories from my highschool days, but looking forward... can you believe that you're down to 6 weeks and some odd days? i can't believe how quickly the last 4 weeks have gone by! September flew by and these babies are coming quick!
High school was no fun but after the age of 18 i have had some pretty wacky moments and all kinds of music takes me back - that's why I have to have music on at all times! Except at work cause I don't want to remember it :)
You people are crazy. Highschool was great. If Bearclaw hasn't blocked it all out, he'll reaffirm. That's one reason I love music, it reminds you of the good times, and makes the bad times seem better.
Yes! that song totally reminds me of that trip too, as does the chili pepper's 'Aeroplane' and one other one that I'm blanking at the moment. One thing that always really gets me though is that whole damn Wings album we listened to over and over while piled into the front bench seat of your mom's station wagon heading to watch a movie in Sheridan. EVERY time I hear those I think of being smooshed into that car.
P.S. I miss the fall. What I wouldn't do for a REAL Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas season. Jealous.
I loved a lot of high school and some not so much. Music is amazing and so are smells they just make you remember so much.
Moriah, Is the song you're forgetting, "Big Bang Baby", by STP? Because that one always reminds me, too.
Music always triggers memories for me. Especially music in highschool. Which was when you guys were probably still in elementary school, but still.
I love music for that reason. Music is very nostalgic for me. Not just in high school but all aspects of my life.
Post a Comment