Thursday, October 9, 2008

Everyday life.

First of all, this isn't a set up for a debate on Immunizations: Should my children get them, or not? This is just me reflecting. I am in the middle of two very opposite opinions, and in no way has coming to the decision I've come to, been simple, as some say it should be. (Yes, I read the booklet that's continually circulated).
Riley and Cole both have gotten their immunizations. Not before age two, like the saying goes, but they get them the year they start kindergarten. Jeff and I, after much deliberation and thought, decided it would be best for our children to do this however, we wait until they are older, because as infants, there are so many things that are unknown. They can't tell you WHY they aren't feeling well. Whether it's end-of-the-world pain or gas, it's the same sort of scream. (Perhaps in infant hood they are one in the same? I don't know, and that's my point). For instance, yesterday Cole told me after getting four shots (yet, the equivalent of seven separate immunizations), the previous day in his rear, "Mom, my stomach doesn't feel so good, and my butt really hurts". I took that as he's feeling queasy, and that I should give him some pain reliever, because his bony bum is probably achy. It's also easier for my children to be prepared with a bribe--"yes, this will hurt a lot, yes you will cry." But they are told that if they are as brave as they can possibly be, they will get to pick a toy out at the very end. You want to know how well this system works? FABULOUSLY. Both of my children have inherited my acceptance of bribery, and though that may not be an issue of bragging quality to pass to your little ones, it makes life a lot easier.
It's hard though, to willingly put your children in pain's way. Holding Cole while he clenched every muscle in his body and hearing him cry out every time he was jabbed, almost made me cry. My Doctor's nurse, whom I love, felt so bad about it afterwards that she offered Cole two treats and said she was sorry. Through tears Cole said, "That's okay". The nurse got a little teary-eyed and said that this was definitely a crappy part of her job.
Luckily after we drove out of the parking lot, Cole was in a chipper mood, knowing that the entire store of Target awaited his toy-picking decision.
I've previously mentioned "bedtime points". And yesterday, Cole stayed home because of his aches, and some puking. Both things that Jeff and I, through Riley, have found is on the normal side. When I woke Riley up for school today, she told me her throat was, "dry". I told her that happens, and to get her clothes on. (Another thing Riley has picked up from me? My faking-sick go-to excuse). She wasn't the least bit impressed with my lack of sympathy, got pretty ticked, and in a clipped tone reminded me that Cole stayed home from school yesterday, and as our rules state, he should NOT be able to sleep in the living room, with free range of fridge and treats this Friday night. (Little does she know that Jeff and I instated this clause simply because of her solution to make the school week shorter: Fake sick a couple of days. It was easier to tell her that going to school all week was required in order to have the Bedtime points privilege, than it was arguing that in fact, she wasn't really sick...even if she pulled out the fake cough).
I told her that Cole was really sick, he threw up and everything, and that got her out of bed with a sour expression and a roll of her eyes. Later, after texting Jeff the situation, he responded back to me that in reality, she skipped school on Tuesday, too, because I didn't have anyone that would be there to pick her up while Cole had his appointment. So, using her logic, she wouldn't get to sleep downstairs, either. I relayed the message as she ate breakfast, she stopped chewing, and her rather big eyes got bigger as she said, "I'm not saying anything more about it". She's also a quick learner. So that's our week so far. Oh yeah, I wanted to mention a happy moment from yesterday. I went to give my sister-in-law that's due about the same time as I am, her baby gift and also look at her home, which she and her husband have been renovating. (It's fabulous, just so you know). But she came out and gave me one of Riley's old onesies....it's pink and tye-dyed. I guess somehow after I gave Riley's baby clothes away, it got recirculated back to her, and she thought I'd like to have it back. Which is so true, because I'd been thinking about it lately, and wondered what I had done with it. Sometimes little things can make you so happy...and that was one of them. So, thanks Kass!
That's all for now.
Oh, and I've stopped watching True Blood. Sadly, it was ruining the books for me, with all the "creative direction" they've taken. Just FYI.




10 comments:

Kory said...

I know you just bring up controversy to get your comment ratings up. But it is a crappy situation.

Moriah said...

I like that you have proven how effective bribery is. I am soooo going to use it when I get some rugrats of my own.

Amy said...

Yeah I dread that day when we have to make that decision. It has never really even crossed my mind really until Kory and I started dating, and then I had to figure out where I stood on it, and now I know that I will do as much research as I can from credible sources, make a decision, and then pray to make sure it is the right decision.

I have a hard time watching anyone get poked with needles, I don't know how I will put on a brave face for my kids, because I am sure I will be just as if not more nervous about it. It makes me queezy just thinking about it.

Yeah I did know about game night, I told Kory to set it up with you guys, I think Thursday night will work, but let me double check with Kory. I can let you know for sure on Saturday.

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

Vaccines are a big hot topic for me. All I will say is I am ALL for it and I will leave it at that. I did do my research as well and that was my conclusion. I am a huge bribery mom. This probably results in my kid having too much candy since that is my bribery of choice.

Kelli said...

I like the age 5 idea. That's all. But I knew if I didn't comment we couldn't be friends anymore.

KaSs MiLeS said...

i completely agree with you on the shots. we're going to wait until they're 5, so we can talk to them about it. its nicer for everyone that way. :0) Cole is very brave. Good job, he looked pretty peeled back on Wednesday. :0) You are very welcome for the onsie, i hope jeff enjoyed it too!

Kyle said...

IS cole staying up late today?

I can only assume he IS.

Also, immunizations at 5 is a good compromise.

Kyle said...

Ignore my initial remark. Somehow I missed the conclusion to the Cole story.

Shauna said...

I immunized Matthew at birth later to have his lymph nodes removed by an ear nose and throat surgeon at age 5. He was having problems and they removed them at sent them to the lab, they told us the immunizations for some reason had collected there.

Each child I have had to make the decision because I think the decision doesn't apply to all children, it's individual. Most of the literature out there uses scare tactics both for and against, which I don't like that sort of motivation. I have a few that are pretty good to stick to the facts if you want to read them. One I got from my doctor that was to motivate me to immunize and actually did the opposite.

But....they are getting better and better through time. Taking the metals out and no more live vaccines etc. So that's good.

I know the girl who does the advertisements for "Immunize by 2" and oddly enough she does not immunize her own kids. I have also had nurses give me their required speech and when I have said no, they secretly tell me they don't immunize their kids either. Funny huh?

Erinn and Ryan said...

Interesting ideas. I've delayed my kids shots past the "normal" schedule, but only by 6-12 months, depending on how scared I am of the disease. Pertussis was going around our neighborhood when Connor was little, so that one we did, but Hep B? It's basically an STD, and they give the shot at BIRTH! Somebody explain that one. Every parent has to do the research and make the best decision they can.