Monday, October 20, 2008

As of Late...

We, like I'm sure you all, have been busy. Sometimes I'm reminded of the movie, About a Boy...where his life is measured in units. Units being things that take up time. When I'm waiting for something, say like, a baby, the units pass more slowly. However, now that school, and fall and Halloween and the elections, (yeah, even though I HATE all the crap that leads up to it, I always feel compelled to vote...that way I'll have a lot to complain about the next time around), Thanksgiving, and Christmas, and bi-monthly doctor's appointments, and all physical and dental exams before the new year are coming due...it seems like each day flies. And I'm wondering where it went, and how to make up for all my time wasted as I sit with my feet up, or "rest". Before it was relaxing, as those exercises "just killed the last hour", or "now there are only thirty minutes before the kids get home." Not anymore. I'm feeling the impending end of this countdown. And though I've waited for what seems like forever, now I'm kind of panicky.
Meanwhile, in copying Shauna, my children g
ot their school pictures and I'm posting them, too. I've talked to a lot of parents that have an aversion to school pictures, and I know why, as it's pretty obvious. Just the smile and click method makes a lot of kids look frumpy, even after the hours on the hair, and de-boogering, and making sure that they've bathed recently enough that their faces will stay as clean as possible. (And totally not counting the effort it takes to find the perfect outfit that will compliment their eyes, and not show stains from breakfast, or their first recess). But, it's an exciting process for me, too. It's nostalgic, and that's one thing from my childhood that I can totally relate to, despite all the changes that have occurred, since. Next year, my sister Muff, bless her, will take Riley and Cole's school pictures for them. This way I'll know that I will have a quality product and not have to worry about blinking or what I like to refer to as the "stoned look", which both kids have a tendency to do. (It's totally a genetic defect they've inherited from me, sorry to say). But as for now, I really liked what came back this year. I think they both are showing their personalities quite perfectly.
J
eff did some stuff this weekend. He didn't have projects due, so he finally got around to the stuff that I just save for him, as I have no sewing coordination, and even my children have lost their faith in my ability to make repairs look nice. Cole's blue blanket, that is no longer blue, or could be considered an actual blanket, was completely redone by Jeff. He went and got some new batting, and essentially put an entirely new blanket inside Cole's old one, as we needed to still keep the "salties" on the outside of it. What salties are, we aren't too sure, but they are necessary for Cole to rub and feel. Yes, there were tears, and a lot of coaxing from Jeff, Riley, and myself ensuring Cole that his blanket would make it. Honestly though, I was a little bit skeptical as well. His entire blanket was falling apart. This is what the surface looked like, everywhere. If you put any pressure on it whatsoever, it would separate beneath your fingers. Every time we washed it, I would hold my breath, and then have to dig the batting out of the dryer that had balled up in little areas, and squeezed their way out of all the holes. This is the finished product, however, it keeps all the batting in, and the salties are still in tact. So all is well.
Jeff also sewed Cole's Hallowe
en costume. I won't post the picture yet, because I'll take some at Kelli's Halloween party, and when he's actually wearing it. However, you will be amazed at Jeff's artistic ability, and my insight. We kind of have a system. Each year, after Halloween, the kids and I will find stuff on sale that will compliment their costumes for the next year. We decide what they'll wear--and what they're excited for. Then Jeff gets the hard part at the beginning of the next October. I ask/tell him what we need him to do in order to get the perfect costume, and he makes time for it. He's seriously the best guy ever. (Riley's was easy--she'll be beautiful and graceful at the same time, you'll see).
Anyway, that was our weekend, and it's carried on until now. Hopefully we'll be ready for all the ongoings this weekend, and make it through. I guess you'll all find out later. I'm sure you'll all be waiting.


7 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

I too have no sewing ability. I make Dan sew all fallen off buttons back onto our clothes. Then anything else goes straight to my mom. Oh what will I do with out my mom. Cole and Riley's pictures are cute. I think that my kids will get school pictures but also go to Nately so they can have their pics taken together. However, that might be an impossible task since I am sure either I or Nately will be moving sometime in the near future which really saddens me.

Amy said...

Great pictures of both of your kids! I love how Cole is looking upward, I just think its cute. And Riley looks so grown up, way cute.

Good job Jeff on restoring an old blanket. I am very curios what these "Salties" are on blankets...when you know, please let me.

I am with you on the whole being busy part, and the Halloween part, we haven't even started our costumes yet, and with how busy our week days are after this, I have a feeling we wont get around to either....

KaSs MiLeS said...

Can Jeff do that to my baby blanket? Sadly i still sleep with it every night and it is falling into pieces. Jerome is so disgusted by it. When he wakes and its by his face he yells, "Ew gross!" Its so lumpy and tattered. Nancy made it when i was born.

Those pictures are great! Riley definitely has Jeff's smile. Very cute!

My days have been flying by, but so slowly! its weird. All i think about it Story coming and getting her here and meeting her and its going slowly, but some how my weekends are coming faster and faster than before. its hard to explain.

Keri said...

Riley's picture looks so beautiful! Cole looks cute too.

Moriah said...

Ah. What a perfect family! But seriously, what ARE salties?

Shauna said...

Cole and Riley both look very movie starish. Especially the Dakota Fanning one.

I too get my next years stuff the day after Halloween. I would do that for Christmas too but the lines are too long.

DeSisto Digitals said...

Such cute kids! They look more and more like me every day. Okay, maybe not, but I thought I'd throw that in there because I wanted to.