Anyway I was trying to put Sydney to bed the night she wore the pjs shown, and as is most nights before bed, she was fussy. Inspired by her sleepy time ensemble, I threatened to "say the words". Jeff gave me a courtesy laugh and Riley thought that it was a terrible thing to tell my baby. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can remedy that by following my previous instructions and watch the movie....and then realize what a terrible mother I am). Anyway, there's something about stripey pajamas on a child that I find adorable. Especially if that adorable child is my own.
Another unrelated but humorous moment today occurred when I found a project Cole did in school. Occasionally he'll empty his backpack in random places, and I found this under our recliner:

I thought his mad face was quite accurate. In addition to that, I am always surprised at how much Jeff shines through in their artwork. It makes me happy to see how talented they are...that they didn't inherit my abilities; which are none. On the other side of the picture was this:
Notice how he spelled crazy. It reminds me of how Nacho says it in Nacho Libre: "Craaaaasee". Also, I was under the impression that when he is crazy, he looks remarkably like a woman. However, Jeff corrected me by saying that the pink stuff wasn't oversized lips, but a tongue. I guess he and Cole talked about it today. The relationship the kids have with Jeff through their art is pretty priceless and I'm kind of jealous, as it's something that I'll never be able to touch. But mostly, I'm glad they do...as it brings them closer and encourages their creativity. Jeff is so open to that, and because he is, Riley and Cole constantly impress us. I consider myself a very lucky person. I have a husband that is wonderful to me and our little ones--the kind of husband that every girl dreams about. And my kids keep me in stories and laughs all day, everyday. So on a more serious note, Riley is continually getting bigger and more mature. It kind of makes me sad. On the upside, she's also getting smarter and amazes me with her compassion and thoughtfulness. I've been trying to remember back to when I was pregnant with her, nine years ago. I was so anxious for her to get here--to get out of me. And then when she did make her grand appearance, my life completely changed. She was tiny and quiet and had a big red spot between her eyes--her storkbite, was what the nurses called it. And I wasn't sure what I was in for, but I loved her. I suddenly loved her so much I ached with it, and I remember being in the hospital holding her and wondering what that red spot was, and why it was there. No one told me that it would start to lighten and eventually be gone by the time she was two. So I kept telling myself that I'd protect her from anyone that may say something about it, because it was different, and maybe they'd be mean. I'm a little embarrassed now that I thought so much about her storkbite, and that it worried me. But at the time, I needed to let her know that she would be fully protected by me. And that I was so happy she had come into my life that I'd do anything I could to make her feel how much I loved and needed her.
Nine years later, I feel the same. I still am painfully aware of how perfect she is and how lucky I am that she's here. Unfortunately, I don't tell her that nearly enough. She shares that place with her sister and her brother, now...and I remember that as the oldest, sometimes it doesn't feel that way. It's more like the smaller siblings get the most attention because they're louder and less self-sufficient and whereas Riley's quiet anyway, I'm sure she really feels that she gets the short end of the stick. But for the record, she's still my baby; and she'll always be my first.
That's some of the stuff that has occurred/has been going through my mind lately. So in conclusion, I'm hoping that all of you have something or someone that makes you happy. Because life sure is a great thing when you do.


17 comments:
i bought those exact same jammies at target. i bought them for the cherries ones though. :0) Syd looks so much like Cole in those pictures. She's getting bigger and bigger!
Riley looks really cute in that picture. she's getting so grown up!
I do love that picture of Riley. I'm glad it'll be in my knitting book. And I just wanted to let you know that I totally already own The Labrynth. Ok, it's because I married into it, but I still love it. David Bowie's pants are to DIE for!
Every girl our age LOVED David Bowie. I think he had so much "sexual magnetism" that we could all feel it even as little girls. It is the same way I feel--more like felt-- about Steven Tyler, from Aerosmith, for the longest time... that they "know" things. :)
"What Power?" All I can say was I LOVED that movie as a kid. And I totally knew by your title that that was what your post was about. Because I am that good. And Syd totally looks like Toby. And I used to think that if you did say those words to kids that the scary man (yes I found him more scary then attractive) would come and take them away. Syd looks so much like Jeff. I think its crazy Riley is almost nine? Those pictures of coles made me laugh really hard too.
The power of Voodoo!
Who do?
YOU DO!
Do what?
(Remind me of the babe)
I finished it out so that nobody else has to. Unless of course Dance Magic Dance or Jump Magic Jump wants to make a cameo in a comment. Which I'd be grateful for, really.
I totaly love those jammies and I already own the movie!! All I can think of is the giant cod piece - I know that's what got you going ;)
I wanted to be David Bowie when I was little. That was my favorite movie. You have such a good looking family.
Riley is 9!!! Holy Moly. Can you even believe it? She is gorgeous. And so is David Bowie...STILL.
You remind me of the Babe.
What Babe?
The Babe with the Power.
What Power?
The Power of Voodoo.
Who do?
You do!
Do what?!
...Remind me of the Babe.
That's right; all from memory.
I love the Toby jammies too.
And you're right about Riley. She's amazing. And beautiful.
Your birth story of Riley touched me. Probably because I just gave birth two days ago. I just feel such love for my kids (it is odd to say kids.) and the way you write is always such a great way to put it.
Kass, I spied the stripy ones, first, but the cherry ones were a fabulous bonus. So what could I do but buy them?
Kelli: I will totally let "marrying into" it count. I ride Jeff's coolness coattails whenever possible, and I feel no guilt or shame in doing so. I love that picture of Riley, too. :)
Leah, what you said about David "knowing things", and the sexual magnetism? Right. On. I also had a thing for Steven T. Maybe its just the call of the Rock and Roll life-style.
I saw my baby/trying hard as babe could try/what could I do?/My baby's love had gone and left my baby blue/Nobody knew...
What kind of magic spell to use?
Slime and snails? Or puppy dog tails?
Thunder or Lightning?
And baby says...
Dance magic Dance!
Dance magic Dance
Jump magic Jump!
Jump magic Jump
That was for you, Kyle. And Lora, THAT was from memory. Boo and Ya. (I seriously could have finished it, but that might have been taxing to the other readers.)
Amy--The Scary Man? I totally would have been doing Syd a favor, had I really said the words....lucky girl. ;) Cole's pictures always make me laugh, too. I'll have to find a picture he drew of me not too long ago. It accurately shows all my crazies, as well.
Sarah...It's so true. How do you already know me so well? And bonus points for owning it...being a foreigner and all. ;)
Kory, I wish Jeff wanted to be David. I think I want Jeff to be The Goblin King for Halloween. If I could just find some gray leggings that would fit his 34" inseam. And I KNOW I could find a white-blond mullet he could rock. Oh my gosh, I'm getting excited just thinking about it. If anyone steals my idea...I will hurt you.
Also, I think my family's pretty fantastic, as well. It makes for a great topic to gush about each post.
Moriah--Riley will be nine in April. I've been reminiscing about her, lately. I think it's because I see how small Syd is, and wonder where my other babies went. It's a little sad. But it's also encouraging to see what a great girl Riley's grown to be. It makes me not as scared for Syd. I also still love Mr. Bowie. You'd think that after Ziggy Stardust, there'd be nothing left...but he proved that theory wrong.
Lora, thank you. I'll let her know you said so. :) And don't forget that I schooled you, song-wise. ;)
BRANDI!!! Congrats! I didn't know! I'm making my way over to your post to get the 411.
I love those Jammies, I actually have some just like it that I used for my kids. I never gave them away because I loved them so much. She looks gorgeous in those pictures!
Shauna, I have some stuff I never gave away because I love them so much, too. Syd will probably have to wear everything a least of couple of times before I pack it up and store it again. :)
Awww, what great kiddos! :)
Riley will ALWAYS be my cute little "squogey!" It still brings a smile to my face whenever I picture her as that little dancing baby that was always SO happy to wake up in the mornings. I don't think I've ever seen a baby love mornings like that. Do you remember too when you used to put her to bed in her crib and she'd throw her hands up in the air for you to bring the covers under them and then she'd slam them down on top of the blankets? SOOO CUTE! :)
Your kids ARE amazing and awesome! They are too funny, beautiful and talented!!! However, even though their Daddy IS undeniably hot, sweet and talented, I seem to recall their Mommy as the most "precious" little baby I EVER saw!!! Your kids get so much of their humor and wit from your "side". The love NEVER goes away no matter how old those babies get or how beautiful their offspring are. The memories of my "first" niece are MINE and will always be with me. Special to the maximum. It's so great to read those feelings that your Mom and I felt surging through your words as well as Muff's and Lora's...(Two more of my ETREMELEY talented and beautiful neices)!!
Muff, I do remember that. But I'd forgotten. It's so sad that it happens, and you tell yourself that you'll never forget, but you just do. I didn't forget about Riley waking up happy, though. That was her saving grace...she'd wake up so early that I would be grouchy and annoyed...and then I'd see her wiggling like a puppy holding onto the bars of her crib, so happy to see me, and my heart would melt. She was that cute.
Sharon--thanks. :) I guess where as it's hard for me to see my babies grow up, it's been the same for Mom and you. I do take credit for a lot of the humor my kiddos have, though. I mean, they get some from Jeff, too...but I have to feed my pride a little bit, seeing as how he's got the art angle. ;)
Post a Comment