Sunday, May 31, 2009

Lagoon Day

Jeff's job had their Lagoon Day last Monday. What that meant for us? We only had to pay 10 bucks a ticket, we got a free lunch, and we got our first sunburns of the year. One thing we did find out was that we can get more tickets than we have actual family members. Jeff and I decided that due to events we had to endure during the day that I'll go into soon, next year we are going to bring some people with us so that Jeff and I will occasionally get to go on a ride with each other. If we have any volunteers, let us know.
Anyway, we were all so excited to go. The kids had never been to Lagoon, and the last time Jeff and I had been there was a few months after we had gotten married, a little before I found out I was pregnant with Riley. We got up early on Monday morning, and Riley and I both put our hair in ponytails. I mention this not to just brag on my amazing hairdo skillz, but because Riley begged me to do Syd's hair like ours, as well. Unfortunately, Syd didn't have enough hair for a ponytail, so I did the little sprout thing on the top of her head. Cole came in after I had fixed Syd's hair and said, "Oh that's cute. Rileeeeey! Syd looks like a unicorn!"

I had to tell that story because I thought it was so funny. My records, you know. After getting in the car and heading to our destination, I realized that I forgot three important things...binkies, diapers, and wipes. I had packed them in the diaper bag however, after re-evaluating all our crap, we realized that bag was still on the couch, and didn't get put in the trunk with our bathing suits, towels, and snacks. Am I the only one that forgets the most important items everywhere I go, EVERY time? So I had to stop at Target and buy the missing essentials. However, as soon as I got out of the car, I was assailed with wails of "WHY ARE YOU SHOPPING?" and "WE'RE GOING TO MISS IT!" and "WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO GO TO TARGET?" I explained that I would just run right in and out. After getting the required items, we were again on our way, and ten minutes later, we were parking outside of the amusement park.
I was overly excited for our first rides. I figured that Riley and Cole both rode one of the scariest roller coasters ever while we were in Nevada, so all the Lagoon rides would pale in comparison. But I was so wrong. Both Riley and Cole took in all the rides and immediately started saying, "I'm not gonna go on that", or "I don't want to try that one", and "that just looks too scary". These were the little kid rides, even. I was completely dumbfounded and a little perturbed. I mean, yeah, we didn't have to pay the full 50 bucks a ticket for the kids, so I didn't have to murder them. But they were SUCH weenies!
This is Cole's reaction to going on the "Ladybug Bop". I really thought that he would eventually warm up to the idea of going on rides, but no.

Not one to miss an opportunity, I had to take pictures of how much fun I was having, regardless of how much fun Cole was NOT having. Riley finally decided to go on the Ladybug Bop with Jeff, while I stayed with a pouting Cole and my sweet little Syd. And btw, Jeff told me that when I blogged about this whole ordeal, I had to make sure to mention that the "Best Kid by Far" award went to Syd by a landslide. She was the BEST baby ever! She got to go on the Lazy River with Jeff, and she loved it. However, when water actually touched her she would get upset and complain. She people watched and laughed, and napped, and sat in her stroller, and was so completely cute, she convinced other people to have babies.
Unlike our other two kids. I had to threaten that we would skip the water park part of Lagoon if the kids kept refusing to go on rides. It was a terrible display of abusing my parental power, but sometimes you gotta pull the big guns.

Cole eventually warmed up to the slow, merry-go-round rides and I got the fun duty of watching him go round and round while Riley and Jeff went and rode on fun rides...like the Bat. (Which I had to FORCE her to go on with me the first time, by telling her that if she didn't go on it, I'd never bring her to Lagoon again, and next time Jeff and I had a chance to go, I'd find a babysitter for them, because it was a waste to bring them if they weren't going to attempt any rides). Yes, I'm a terrible parent, but we've already established that, and it didn't work on Cole at all, so I don't feel as bad about it as I probably should. And additionally, after I forced Riley to try the Bat with me, it quickly became her favorite ride and that's what she wanted to do the rest of our time there. Can you imagine what would have happened had she been brave enough to try any others?

So, yeah. All in all, it was a really fun day. However, we did learn our lesson. Which was: we can't rely on our children to be as brave as they promise us they will be. So we need to bring others to help rotate watching kids, and riding. Also, we will have to spend more time at the water park area, so I can actually get to go on the water slides and such more than once. And I'm wearing a tank top next time, so I can avoid the ridiculous farmer's tan that I've been sporting for the last week. And there you have it. That was our Lagoon Day for this year. Be thinking long and hard about whether or not any of you are up to this task. It takes severe patience and sunscreen.
Until next post!

7 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

I always forget at least one big essential diaper bag item everytime I leave the house. Sometimes it can be embarrassing. I am glad Syd was so good because I am sure you worried the most about her and being in the sun ect. I haven't been to Lagoon in FOREVER!

KaSs MiLeS said...

we will totally go with you next time!! we want to go this year, so we're sticking story with a sitter. :0) i figure its our last year to go on big kid rides without little kids with us.
i love that pictures of cole, trying so hard to smile when he was upset. Syd looks like a beautiful unicorn. :0) you got lucky with her cute hair!
You guys are good sports with the kids. I can only imagine why my parents hated lagoon day.

Kelli said...

That is A LOT of pictures of Cole crying :) Sad. We are totally on board for next year too! Lagoon is just my favorite place ever!

Moriah said...

Dude! I would totally go. Do they have margaritas for the adults, because I would definitely need a few in order to deal with the people, but it still sounds fun to me!

Amy said...

You should have told us, I cant ride anything anyway, so I would have been more than happy to stroll the park and watch while everyone else had a blast....ok maybe not. Next year tho when I am not huge and uncomfortable, I am game for sure. Especially since I LOVE Lagoon. But I can't see any child of ours being as cooperative as syd. What a gem. :) In that picture of you and Cole and Riley, with the yellow background, I must say that Cole looks very much like his uncle Kory.

I totally think the tank top thing at Lagoon is a must, and cut off shorts with your pockets hanging out, I mean really its almost a requirement. Some say its trashy, but I think pure classy!

We always go in the fall and it's not too hot, but before that I would always wear my swim suit and like a tank and swim shorts over it because I HATE walking around in wet jeans, and all the really fun rides involve water, and then you are all set for the water park! Which Kory never likes going to now anyway.

Leah said...

We would go too! But like Moriah I would require Alcohol, like Cole I would totally chicken out on the scary rides, and like you I totally always forget diapers, wipes and binkies. We are really bad parents though and just leave Lars in his unless he's pooped. Don't tell.

Shauna said...

I love that picture of you and the kids in front of that yellow thing at Lagoon. Story is such a cute unicorn! I think the last time I went to Lagoon was with Jeff.