Saturday, May 9, 2009

WOW (by Jeff)

I am calling this post WOW because it is fitting in two ways.

1. WOW, perfectly describes the subject of this post, mothers.

and

2. Cole made Rainey a mothers day book at school and he glued the card on the front upside-down so it read "WOW". I thought that was both funny and accurate.

In my humble opinion there are two great mothers in the world, my mother and my wife. Not that there are not other great mothers out there, it's just that I'm a little biased.

First, Happy Mothers Day to my Mom. She might not have always understood me but she let me find my own way in the world and I am forever grateful for her patience and love.

Now, the mother of my children. That sounds so odd to say it like that. Like there's a distance there that shouldn't be. Rainey has become the most amazing person. In the 10 plus years I have known her she has defied categorization and expanded my capacity to love. Every day I reminded of how lucky I am to be with her. She brings a light to my life that I couldn't find anywhere else. She has brought us three amazing kids who love her with all their heart... but how could you not.



She gives all of herself without question. While the kids may not appreciate her as much as they should, their love for her comes out in unexpected ways. Sydney adores her, much to my chagrin (she thinks of me as a big couch that props her up). Cole love's her to the extent that his heart breaks if she isn't happy (or happy with him). Riley and her have this mutual bond that I cannot touch. She is so kind and understanding, she just brings so much to our family that I can't really describe with any amount of accuracy. She would do anything for us, and us for her.

When I was a teenager I imagined this one person who I would spend all my time with for the rest of my life. Now, I never really thought I would find this person, if she really existed. But I let myself imagine her just the same. It comforted me to pretend there was someone like this out there for me. It was in the space needle in Seattle that I realized Rainey was this person. It hit me like a bolt of lightning. At that moment I knew I loved her.

Rainey,
I love you so much, more every year, month, week, day. Without you I couldn't make it, I wouldn't be who I am today without your encouragement, support, friendship, and love. Our kids wouldn't be the wonderful people they are and our lives would be lacking.

Happy Mothers Day (P.S. this is your mothers day card)

7 comments:

Keri said...

You are the husband of the year Jeff.

Shauna said...

I don't cry very often but that was priceless. And the picture of Rainey was so beautiful. She truly is a remarkable woman!! You both are inspiring!

KaSs MiLeS said...

that was really awesome jeff. you are right on the money. Rainey has been such a good friend to me and walked me through my pregnancy everytime i had doubt. she has been so awesome and i know i can count on her in time of need. you are ultimately fabulous rain.

Moriah said...

Aaaahz. I am so glad Rainey found Jeff. We never knew we'd be so lucky...there were a lot of losers we plowed through growing up!

Amy said...

Seriously jeff you are awesome, and so is rainey.

Kory said...

Amen and props to Rainey for making Jeff who he is today. He'd probably be living in a realy cave right now speaking only grunts.

Larraine said...

You two are awesome. I am so proud of you both, Finding a life mate is something very rare these days. I know Rain feels the exact same way about Jeff. I am so glad you two are so happy and that you are the parents of my grandchildren. They are awesome, too! : )