Sunday, November 9, 2008

The final countdown

Okay. I officially have three weeks left. This is fantabulous news...and yet, I'm kind of panicking--trying to convince myself that I will be okay, that I won't have to have an emergency c-section, (which, through reading I found out that they cut you vertically, instead of horizontally. And so, not only do you deal with the trauma of scary baby issues, but you are also scarred in a way that is irreversible), that my water won't break in an inconvenient place or time, and, most importantly, the baby will be healthy. However, not TOO healthy....because Cole was a big boy, and if Sydney continues at the going rate of both my previous babies, that would put her close to twelve pounds. And that's terrifying. Anyone that says differently can trade places with me during her birth. (Also, this post is really only for the voyeuristic...it's going to be more like a journal entry than anything else, and because this is my blog, I can do that).
I've got everything I need. I've been lucky enough to have people look out for me and make sure that we are ready for this kid that we weren't planning on. However, it's still scary. Baby number three, and it's still scary. Not wake-me-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-knowing-I-can-never-go-back scary like having Riley was, but until Sydney is in my arms with all ten fingers and toes and healthy, I'll just be worried and stressed. Anyway, I'm torn all day long, ea
ch day between wanting this baby OUT, to hoping she stays as long as possible, and is getting all the extras she needs to be ready. I know, boring for the average reader, but certainly makes for serious, and continuous, hormone fluctuations.
Also, the guilt is already getting to me. Until I actually became a mother, I had no idea what guilt was. And, hello, I'm Mormon. Everyt
hing is about guilt. I didn't give up my caffeine addiction throughout my pregnancy. I tried, but I couldn't. So I hope I didn't completely ruin my unborn child's nervous system. If I did, I'm going to feel REALLY bad, and Jeff's going to be really upset with me. I console myself a little by my addiction not being crack, however, if anything is wrong at all...I'll just KNOW it's because of all the Diet Mountain Dews.
Jeff and I have been watching seasons of Reno 911 each night, and this has actually helped me turn my attention to other things--in a "it could always be worse" way. (BTW, very funny show...but not fo
r the easily offended). It kind of makes me think about how the Buffalo, WY police department would be...if it were more culturally diverse. I have a severe love for trashy people; they make me feel right at home. So while watching these episodes, I've felt more calm and serene...and occasionally grossed out. It's a lot like South Park to me, in that it's so wrong, that they get it right.
Anyway, I know I go off on how terrible pregnancy is, and how much I hate it. And all the negatives that go along with getting continually fatter and grosser and slower and more tired, but I'm finally at the stage where I can say, "It's really worth it". Yes, I still have severe heartburn and yes, I still wish I could sleep without peeing twelve times a night, and yes, I seriously dream about being able to breathe without feeling like I'm going to vomit at the same time. BUT, I wouldn't change having kids for anything. Family life suits me perfectly. I can't imagine life without my babies, and I can't wait for Sydney--even though I'm scared to death. I mean, she can't be any worse than what I already have to put up with, right? I'm holding to that thought.

10 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

I am excited that she is almost here. Yes, the C section thing scares me too. Especially right now because I just found out I am at risk for placenta previa. (I know I can't have a normal pregnancy it isn't in my genes.) So now I am having another ultrasound in four to six weeks to see if it shifted and I have to watch for bleeding. It is really fun. So I wish that I was as far a long as you so I could rest easy in three weeks with a baby in my arms. Good luck she will be perfectly healthy and for your sake hopefully not 12 pounds which I am pretty sure she isn't.

Leah said...

I will pray that Sydney is not 12 lbs, after having Lars (7 lbs) I cannot even imagine the agony. To relieve some of your other fears, I drank caffeine every day and my water broke in a HOT TUB full of people. Oh... and I had a intern who had graduated medical school 1 month before sew me up. (Sorry if too much info everyone). Everything turned out fine. We are excited to see pics of little Sydney

KaSs MiLeS said...

i completely feel you!!! i want Story out right now!! i can't handle being pregnant for another minute, but if it means putting off an episiotemy i'll hold it in!! I'm scared to death to give birth, but i also want her out of me ASAP!!

Keri said...

They only cut you vertically in a really serious emergency, it's not common. In my not so serious emergency they had plenty of time to give me an epidural and cut me horizontally. It's a little tiny scar you can barely see anymore. Don't worry about that stuff. You'll be fine. Can't wait to see her! My identification word is REWAX, so take note. I mean relax, not actually re-wax.

Kory said...

C section scars are cool. I have one. If you had a hairy stomach like me, no one would even see it. And being mormon isn't about guilt.

rain said...

Brandi, I hope your next ultra sound gives you some good news--You deserve it.
Leah, I'm praying Sydney isn't 12lbs., either. However, Cole was 10, and Jeff's mom had a baby that was 13 lbs. So the odds could be against me.
Kass, I know you know exactly how I feel, and for some selfish reason, this is a HUGE comfort to me. Because I'm sure Jeff gets really tired of hearing about it.
Keri, thanks for the C-section info. I read something about all these birthing emergency room emergencies...and it was horrid. Complete with pictures, of course. But I will try to relax.
Kory, whatever you say--you do attend a different ward than I. Also, I'm really hoping that I wont need to find coolness in any scaring...because I'm banking on the fact that my stomach is less hairy than yours. Wishful thinking, anyway.

Moriah said...

I can't wait for the baby. And she had really better not be that big. Sounds entirely unpleasant. I really don't think your caffeine will do anything. I mean, maybe in the whole spectrum of things, it has a mild chance of causing some mild something or other, but I say...insignificant! Babies are resilient...as drunks and crackheads with perfect babies can attest to. You are hardly that. I was looking for a baby gift at a great little boutique today, but didn't get inspired. Eyes are peeled.

Erinn and Ryan said...

Wow, I can totally remember that combination feeling of heartburn and suffocation. I just kept telling myself they're so much easier to take care of inside than outside. Less noisy, anyway.

Amy said...

I am sure the next 3 or so weeks will be the longest weeks of your pregnancy, my sister had two c-sections and one the other way and said she would take a c-section over a the other any day. It was totally less traumatic for her then her first one. But I think its because her first one did so much damage down there that the 2nd two had to be c-sections, and she knew from the beginning that they would be that way so it was less scary for her. Although Maddy's head was soooo huge that they couldn't get it out of the normal opening they cut, and the doctor had to use tongs or something to pry her out...Plus if you are at Utah valley, I know people who know people who will totally hook you up and take care of you. :)

rain said...

Moriah, you're always looking out for me. One of the many reasons I love you. Also, you and Leah eased my fears of my caffeinated self not being the sole cause of any baby problems, and that makes me feel so much better. Also, lets me enjoy my Dt. Mt. Dew that much more.
Erinn, yeah...you're right about the taking care of them. I'm seriously cashing in on my sleep credits right now. However, they are so much cuter on the outside, too. I look at my belly and gag. When I look at my babies, not so much--under normal circumstances.
Amy, I still need to register at Utah Valley. But yes, that's where I'm going, so if you wanna put in a good word, you'll hear no complaints from me. Also, I guess if I have to have a C-section, I'll be okay. But only AFTER December first. Because then my insurance kicks in.