Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful Tag on Thanksgiving

I've been tagged by Shauna, and I kind of put it off--just cause I've actually been busy since I've been off bed rest. Not TOO busy, mind you, but busy enough that I haven't been online all day long. Anyway, I'm here now, being a big girl, figuratively with making my own turkey, and literally with Sydney residing in my midsection. I'm going to stop rambling and let you know what I'm thankful for, using the letters of my name.

R: Riley, Cole, Jeff, and Sydney. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for them, seriously. I say it a lot, but it's hard for me to truly comprehend and express how much my little family means to me. Sometimes I catch fleeting glimpses, as I see Riley sketching or when I fix her hair, or watch her walk into school, and I see how beautiful she is. How it amazes me that at one time, she was where Sydney is, now. I watch Cole as he talks to me, learning how to read, and takes a great interest in letters and sounds and how they all work together. My heart swells and I can't imagine life without my baby boy. And Sydney keeps me up at night, and while I wish she'd just settle down and go to sleep, I'm satisfied to feel her moving; to know first hand that she's strong, and I get overly excited to meet her. Lastly, there's Jeff, and he's my absolute best friend. There's isn't anything I can't tell him, and above all, he makes me feel loved, and protected and cherished, and he does the same for the kids.

A: Abilities. I'm able to get up and walk, talk, bend, comprehend, read, love, listen, argue, and the list goes on and on. I'm so grateful for these things that I take for granted everyday. It would be cool to have a super power, or something that sets me apart from everyone else...but on the other hand, I see others that may not have every ability that I do right now, and I wonder at their strength and perseverance. I believe we all have our own challenges, and that some of us are stronger than others, as far as that's concerned. But I'm grateful for the abilities that I do have, that I can care for my babies and my husband.

I: Insecurities. I know this is an odd thing to be thankful for. But my insecurities keep me more open, I believe. Thankfully, they aren't as prominent as they were in my teenage years, and yes, they're still annoying and cliche a lot of the time, but in other ways, they help me. I want to be a great mom...not just for everyone else to say I am, but for my kids to look back and know that I really tried. I want to be a good wife. I want to keep a clean house and a loving home. I want to be attractive and fun to be around. I never want to be offensive, or hurtful. These are things I worry about daily. But they also keep me in line, in a way. My insecurities keep me from being too sure of myself, and too set in my own ways. I know that's a skewed way to look at it, but it's how I feel.

N: Nearness of friends and family through technology. I'm thankful that I can call, or text, or email, or visit most of who I need or want to. I believe that technology is a fabulous thing...I love my toys: Ipod, laptop, Cell phone, Camera, Media Players, etc. All these things help me stay "nearer" to my loved ones. Also, I'm more of a writer than a talker. (It's true--for those of you rolling your eyes). Texting and email are two things I don't think I could do without--or blogging. I appreciate being able to reach out to friends and family through my toys. If I had to depend solely on traveling, I'd never get to stay in touch with anyone.

E: Eating. This time of year, especially. But honestly, food is a celebration for me. I also have those "emotional eating" problems, but you gotta take the good with the bad. I love that my belly is always full, and so are the bellies of my children. How it would be to not be able to provide that for me and mine, is something I've never had to face, and I'm truly grateful for that. Also, my favorite get-togethers always involve food, and the companionship and happiness that go with it.

Y: Yes--the word. I'm thankful when I hear it, this means things are going well and working out. This means questions I've asked have been answered and things are set in motion. This means my thoughts are agreed with, or validated. This means someone has confided in me, and thinks of me as a worthwhile friend. This means my kids and my husband are okay and happy. Though all this isn't the true meaning of the word yes, this is how it affects me.

Anyway, I am thankful for all these things and so much more, I'm just limited by some letters. I'm thankful for today, and the meal I'll be sharing with Muff and Chris and my family, and for the happiness they all bring to my life. I hope all you have a very happy Thanksgiving, and know that my thoughts and well wishes are with you. May your bellies be full, and your conversation be captivating. Happy Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope that it is great.

Kyle said...

Nice list.

Yes CAN be a good word.

Unless it's proceeded by a question such as "Is the rash spreading?" or "Will you go with me to see the new Adam Sandler movie?"

Anonymous said...

That was really great! You do have a lot to be thankful for! I hope you had a really nice Thanksgiving. Hi to you all and I'll see you soon.
Sharon

DeSisto Digitals said...

THANKSGIVING WAS AWESOME! I'm letting the world know that Rain is an EXCELLENT cook! :) We Wii'd it up (not our pants) and seriously, Thanksgiving kicked total BUTT! Thanks you guys for letting us take part of the special day. :) Love ya!

Moriah said...

I'll be thankful if that baby stays put just a FEW MORE HOURS!!!

Shauna said...

That was very nice to read. I love your gift of expression! It made me feel so thankful for my life. I am thankful for my kids and I too feel eating is a celebration!