Monday, August 4, 2008

Cowboy Up.


(Photo by Cole)








I've been thinking a lot about something that was said to me recently. Something that I wouldn't have been able to deal with regularly, however, now that I'm pregnant, can't handle at all.
I won't say who exactly said it, because as you all know, I am NOT a gossip. (Two minutes out of each day, anyway). This happens to be one of those two minutes, so I'll not mention names...but I will give you the gist of everything. Anyway, first things first. I will own up to a lot of things about myself that aren't exactly happy or shiny things. Namely, and most obviously, my chubbarrificness, and my mental instability. After years of struggling with these downsides to my overall person, I'm finally coming into understanding that these are things I can't exactly change, but things I can continually work on. Also, they are both easier to joke about, than cry about when I have to face reality. So I will be the first to admit that I have quite a few negative aspects...this is okay. This is I think normal, as most people have a quirk or idiosyncracy or just plain embarrassing fact about them that isn't something they share in first introductions.
There is one thing that I can't be flip about. It's so important to me that when questioned by others, I usually am reduced to tears...because I just can't stand the possiblity that this is true. It's the famous good mom vs. bad mom debate. Am I a rotten mother? I hope not, I seriously do. That being said, I will admit that some days I have no patience. There are days that I sit and read and don't do anything motheresque. There are days that the whining of my children sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me, and I feel a headache coming on, and the only way I can get around it is to take a nap. Obviously these aren't my best days...these are days that I would never even be considered as a great mom. But, am I a ROTTEN mother? Do I neglect them? Am I turning them into serial killers or sociopaths because of my personal breakdowns? For the most part, I don't think so. Sure, I feel massive amounts of guilt, because I see other moms that have double the kids I do, that work, and that seem like they always have everything together. But that's not me. It's unfortunate for my children, truly. But I'm being realistic.
Anyway, I have been accused of ruining my son. Apparently, he's too much of a "momma's boy", and he spends way too much time with me. In this, I have basically erased all manly characteristics that he may have developed by...by what? By being with his dad all the time? By playing with the kids in the neighborhood? I will admit that he loves me. I will admit that his attention to me makes me happy. That when he and Riley come up to me and give me a hug or tell me they love me, that's the making of my day. But I was told that this is wrong. (Note: Riley is fine. Because she's a girl, she can spend time with me without turning into that freakshow that eats her boogers and scabs and will never have any friends. That, at least, is a relief). That he's not out there swinging sticks around and tearing grasshoppers apart and calling other kids names that are demeaning and rude, means he's going to have severe problems. So, because of this, I'm setting him up to be the picked on kid. In turn, he'll have no self-esteem, and then he'll act out, and then he won't have any friends, because everyone else will think he's weird and have some kind of unnatural love affair with his mom. Some of these things were actually mentioned as the "not named" accuser was trying to make their point. I, instead of saying something somewhat coherent, started crying and doubting myself like a little beyotch.
The problem is, I really worry about who my kids are going to turn out to be. I want them to know that as cliche as it sounds, they truly can do anything. That no matter who they are, I love them and am proud of them, and they constantly amaze me with their love and kindness and brilliance. But sometimes I'm reduced to that crying girl--the one that is so completely scared that I'm ruining two perfect little beings, by all the poor decisions I make. When someone else other than me points it out, it's all that much worse. So I guess my question is, what can I do to ensure that my little boy is comfortable being a sensitive guy, and yet, be that man that everyone expects him to be? I've seen so many examples of "men" that just disgust me. I find that Jeff is the best example to Cole, because he's kind and he's smart and he's thoughtful and yet, he's not afraid to do things that "true men" just don't do...according to the guns and ammo magazines. But Jeff can't be here constantly, because he's out there, supporting us. And so he's with me, day in and day out, and it's been said to me that I've completely dropped the ball. How do I cowboy up? All the suggestions I hear disgust me, because there's no way I want my son to turn into that boy that's just a jerk, and so often idolized because he's the epitome of what men are supposed to be like. So, like I said, let me know. I'll probably cry about it, but I'll try to see the other side, too. Just don't tell me I'm a rotten mom...because that's where I draw the line.

16 comments:

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

WHAT!! You are so not a rotten mom. I think your doing a great job. I can tell you that I have days where I just want to pull my hair out. Yesterday was one of them. I loose my patience all the time with Lukas. Being a mom doesn't mean that we are automatically perfect and just a stepford type wife. I with that was what happened the day those little ones are born. It is a learning process that is forever on going. I would ignore whoever gave you that horrible critiscm. He is starting school he will make friends. Its not like you are keeping him home and home schooling him and telling him he can't have any friends. He loves you and wants to spend time with you there is nothing wrong with that. Plus he is 5 not 15 so it is normal. I know it is hard to not compare yourself as a mom to others. I do this all the time and I have backed down a bit because all it does is make me feel horrible. Are kids were born to us for a reason. Now that I have wrote a book. HA HA

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

BTW ignore my spelling and grammer mistakes. I just re read what I wrote and it is pretty bad. HA HA. I am tired Lukas got up way to early and I stayed up later then I should have for being pregnant

WeTheTeeples said...

can't believe someone would say that to you. From what I have seen you are a good mom. We all have bad days, we all yell, we all want to escaape sometimes. (at least I tell myself I am not the only one). That does not make you a rotten mom, that makes you a normal mom. I also know moms that have more kids and thier houses are spotless, and they always look cute and so put together and wonder how they do it. But I have to try and not let it get me down. I just have to accept that I am NOT that type of mom.
As for making Cole a mommas boy. All I can say is WHATEVER. Eli is also a very big mammas boy. He doesn't really play in the dirt, or collect bugs, or even have any interest in sports. He would much rather put make up on, paint my nails, or play dolls. But honestly what do you expect? What does he see all day? ME putting on make up, Me painting my nails, and ME taking care of his sister.And like you said Ryan isn't here all the time so that Eli can see all the manly stuff to do. (not that Ryan is that manly. j/k). Yes, I think some boys are born with that masculine trait of wanting to be rough and tough, but my boy wasn't and thats ok. I am with you that I see how some boys are and I don't want my boy to be that way. I want him to be a little sensitive and respectful and whoever HE wants to be.
I don't have a lot of advice because like I said my son is also a mammas boy, but we just try to expose him to little boy type activities, and then if he is intersted great, if not we may try again later and we may not, but then at least he knows its out there and an option.
Rainey, you are a good mom, and you are not ruining you chldren. I believe that we all are doing the best we can, and really thats all we can do. Its not an easy job.

KaSs MiLeS said...

oh for the love!! Whoever told you that had a very dumb moment. I don't know who it is, but they had no right to tell you that! Loving your child and giving them the affection they need is NOT WRONG!! Especially when its Cole, he's still really little. Rainey you are a wonderful mom that is still real. Everyone has moments, but you are a fantastic mom, because you show them hard work by earning things they want and you show them love when they need it. Just because Cole doesn't like bug guts doesn't mean he's not a man. Jerome didn't play with anyone as a kid, because he was building robots and there's nothing wrong with him that i can see. Cole is going to be an awesome guy, he's just like Jeff and Jeff is incredible!! Don't you worry about what other people think, i think you need to remember what we learned in R.A.D. and use it!! Don't doubt yourself!

Kory said...

Let's be honest, if you want Cole to be less effeminate, being around Anderson men isn't going to help. Especially Jeff, and me. I was like Cole, I would rather spend time with my Mom than my friends. If she'd go on a class field trip, I'd hang out with her and not my friends. I didn't notice it was weird until my teacher pointed it out. I was in the 4th grade. But I didn't care. Just don't worry about it.

Kyle said...

Maybe it's just me, but I've heard Cole say PLENTY of mean things. So you must be doing SOMEthing right!

Amy said...

I must say that Cole is very boyish, he is into sea animals, and just because he loves his mom, doesn't mean that he is going to end up wearing dresses to school...and even then what if he does? So what that is his decision, and it has nothing to do with you. If anything Cole will be a great man, husband, dad someday because he is sensitive to others feelings. I don't think he needs to be anymore aggressive then he already is, he will go to kindergarten and fit in just fine. I think my husband is very masculine, yet he has some of those same characteristics as Cole does where he is very sensitive and loves his mom to death, and that too me makes him a great husband, because he is kind and giving and knows just what to say sometimes to make me smile. I am sure jeff is the same way to you, and that is probably where he is learning it...so don't stress, you are a wonderful mother.

Keri said...

Erik is the same way, and I love it. He is more attached to me, he loves to wear dresses with his sister and her friends. He kind, affectionate, and caring.
If you really want him to be able to do anything he wants when he grows up, let him do the things he wants now. Help him love who he is.
Be proud that we're raising a new kind of man that can change the world.

Shauna said...

I'm trying very hard not to be extremely P_____ O___ at whoever said that to you. Reminds me of the dad on Drill Bit Taylor. I guess it's a little bit personal to me cause I've recently been criticized by my mothering as well. It's one thing to be attacked for your faults but so much worse to be attacked for the things you're doing right. How can giving love and attention to your son be wrong or too much. I also think we take too much credit and blame for the way kids turn out. They are their own person and are going to be who they're supposed to be. Cole is very boyish and balanced. I think you're a great mom.

Jeff said...

Shauna, feel free to be pissed off. I am. Cole is such a great kid and it's because he spends so much time with his mom. I have never seen a boy that is so nice to his family. Some people might not understand that but I could care less. As long as Cole knows he is the best boy no in the world when he gets home I think he can handle anything that is thrown at him out in the world.

bearclaw said...

I think I was a mommas boy when I was young,and I consider my self pretty manly. have you seen my beard lately?

Sarah said...

I agree that mommas boys make great husbands. Who are these mean people that think they can comment on the private lives of others - I would tell them to P Off and mind their own business!! But that's just me and you are a lot nicer! Just remember that they are very lucky kids to have a full time mother that they can spend time with - not everyone is so lucky! Keep up the good work and don't pay any attention to those negative comments :)

Sarah said...

BTW - why aren't we on your friend's list??????

rain said...

Sarah and Bearclaw,

You totally are on my friends list! And you've been on it for the last week, however, it won't show. I don't know what I have to do. Even now when I go into the dashboard and click on my blog links section, your name and two others are right there, mocking me. I'll save it, and it says that everything is updated, but it won't let me post any names. This is distressing to me, because I like to pretend I have more friends than I really do...can anyone help?!

Lora said...

Rain,

As I don't know whether this person reads your blog or not, I will try to keep this civil. You need to understand that someone will ALWAYS have something negative to say about the way you parent your children. What you have to do is step back and take an objective look at this person. Where is this person coming from? How much successful/unsuccessful experience does he/she have in this area? After finding answers to these questions, you may begin to realize that questioning yourself was just plain silly. It's all about happiness, trust, and respect. If you and your family have these, then what others say is moot.

It sounds to me like this person is someone who speaks from social mores and norms, not from (successful) experience.

DeSisto Digitals said...

Hey, that's a great shot of Nooni! How soon before I can make your kid work for me without breaking those stupid child-labor laws? Sheesh... I don't know what's up with people thinking it's wrong to make two year olds build my houses!