skip to main |
skip to sidebar
That Time Again.
So last Thursday I had to go register Riley and Cole for school. Actually, I was about four months late for registering Cole...I guess I was supposed to go do that stuff in April, however, I didn't get the paper that was in Riley's abyss of a backpack that told me the information. I actually called their school on Monday, just to ask if there would be another time to do it, and found out that later in the week was the day to register the kids, or they would miss out on their first day of school. So after I filled out endless amounts of paperwork and such, they will now l
et both my children occupy some of their space. Hopefully. A Kindergarten teacher took Cole aside and "tested" him. I was a little worried because I haven't worked with him the way I should have this summer. I was too busy complaining about being pregnant. Anyway, while I was busy trying to find addresses for our dentist and doctor, Riley sat next to me, and Cole was hopefully "Wowing" the teacher testing his abilities. So when he was returned, about ten minutes later, there were only two logical explanations. Either he showed extreme genius and showed her he knew all, or he didn't do very well. I'm afraid to say, it was the latter. She looked a bit concerned, and I asked how he did. Apparently he only counted to five....and I know that he can at least count to ten...usually to twenty. And then he "showed no recognition" of any of the alphabet. We worked and worked on it before Riley got out of school...and he was doing well. But like I said, this summer I completely dropped the ball. I did find it confusing that he hadn't retained ANY knowledge of letters.
As it turned out, actually, he did. I went to the dollar store and bought some alphabet flash cards a
nd Jeff's been working with Cole the past couple of nights. Cole went from only recognizing and naming three of the letters and then two days later, knowing 24 letters without help. I guess when he went in to test he got some fruit snacks, and decided that he'd rather eat WITHOUT having to think. I have to admit, that sounds like something I'd do as well. From then on, he'd decided he was done. The woman that tested him mentioned "special classes" or the possibility of "all day kindergarten".
Really all he needed was the reality of actually having to KNOW this material. Before he just kind of thought it was all a joke. Now each night he goes through numbers and the alphabet with no problems. Occasionally, some mistakes, but no problems. This is typical "Cole", however. He decides when he wants to get serious about something. I worry about this. I worry about him going to school and the teacher saying something like: "Okay, this is the way we write an 'E'." and then Cole, because he's Cole, will say, "No it's not." Just because he wants to say that, and just because he refuses to believe that's the only way to write an E. This is just an example, of course, but typical of my son. He refuses to believe that he HAS to conform to anything. In school, this is a personality trait that just may cause some problems. Not that I really want to discourage it, because I think it's very important to his learning process to question everything the way he does. But I do want him to be polite, and eager to help his teacher make her job as easy as can be. I mean, he's my son, so I love how he does eve
rything...I love how his mind works, and how he questions. But I also know how taxing it can be on my patience. Given both the facts that a teacher has to deal with approximately twenty other children with their own personality quirks, and that they are not inherently loved because of biological bonds, I worry that he'll drive his teacher to insanity. I've found this with Riley. Everyone that knows her knows what a soft-spoken girl she is. What a GOOD girl she is: polite, smart, kind, beautiful, and sweet. At school, she's a completely different person. She's boy crazy and giggly and bossy and still kind and still good, but has hardly any control over her own actions. Normally, she is all control...but at school, with friends, it's different for her. However, I can see how she enjoys the freedom of being someone else, someone she chooses to be. I can also see how it drives her teacher batty. Especially after the eighth time of telling
her to pay attention. I guess my point is, even though you take the time, (or in my case with Cole, don't), to teach your kids the things they need to know, and to teach them how to act or behave....they ultimately are their own people. This is a relief to me, as much as it's nerve-wracking. I want both Riley and Cole to keep surprising me with the people they are. And keep impressing me with the people they are. When I imagined having a family, there were all these rules and steps we'd all follow. But the fact is, I'm dealing with individuals, and I'm still learning that this gives you all these wild cards that consistently and shockingly show up. It's scary, and it's wonderful. Just like my kids. Just like being a parent. So as school starts, I have to try to remember that though they're going to be trying my and their teacher's patience, they are learning, and they are becoming their own people. Once again, it's time to start the process...and I'm excited. I know they won't dissapoint.
8 comments:
I swear there is WAY more testing then when I was little. It is kind of sad because I think it makes it hard on kids.Now days we expect kids to be smarter then we are. People tell me Lukas is behind all the time. They will say my kid that is his age knows the abc's. It drives me nuts. Can't we just let our kids be kids. I am worried I won't teach him the "correct" things for kindergarten. I am just going to say pre school here we come when Lukas turns three. Then someone else can have the responsibility.
Yes, remember the days when we learned our numbers and letters in Kindergarten, that was what it was for. Now your kid has to pass a test just to get in.....
I'll be interested to hear how the whole school thing works out. I bet he'll get the hang of it. What is Cherry Creek Crocs? Your kids are so damn cute.
Oh I can totally see cole doing that. His personality reminds me of Kory. SO I am pretty sure our kids will be the same in that aspect. It is such a strength to have, yet can be so frustrating for those who are trying to teach them. In fact I am pretty sure I was and am the same way to this day. But I think his teacher will learn that about him quickly and hopefully if she is a good teacher she will learn how to manipulate him in to thinking he is in control of the situation... But he is a very smart and aware kid.
i worry how our kids will be in school and at church, because from what i hear from Jerome's home ward... He was a terror. I was always too shy to be a terror.
I was alot like Riley all through school. There's worse things in the world than being giggly. And teachers get annoyed, but that's just the eternal struggle between teachers and talkers. Just like the Joker and Batman. Unstoppable Mouth meets Immovable Object.
You should cut Cole out of the 3rd picture down and send it to the teacher to intimidate her. He looks like the cute kid that burns the school down.
Moriah, those are their official Cherry Creek Elementary School shirts. The kids constantly wear them, and they are nice for field trips and such, as all the kids are more easily recognized. Cole was so excited to finally get his own, "school shirt."
Post a Comment