Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New Beginnings.




Things are changing 'round here. Jeff just changed jobs. This week was the beginning of him going to and from his office and being able to take off Mondays and Fridays, and yet, being paid for a full work week. He has to do the whole meetings thing, which isn't his favorite part, surely, but apparently when in high demand, people want to know what you're thinking. I wouldn't know. Big clients and all that. I'm just thrilled that when I have this baby he'll have more time at home with me. When Cole was a baby he worked full time and was going to night school, so seeing Jeff was rare, and having him alert to what was going on, and able to help out, was even rarer. So this time around, it will be drastically different, and I'm immensely grateful.
Today Riley starts school. Somehow I totally missed this. I really believed that I had an entire week left, that next Wednesday, the 27th, is when she would start. Thankfully I ran into a friend at Wal-mart-the bane of my existence-and she enlightened me that not only was later that evening, "Back to School Night", but that Riley would start school the next day, and then Cole, because he was going to Kindergarten, would start the next week. HE starts the 27th. Riley, gets to go today. Is it just me, or is that completely unfair to those of us that can't be held responsible for even the most menial tasks these days? Seriously. I was thankful that I pushed myself to get the kids school clothes and lunch items...that was a hunch that wasn't wasted, like so many of mine are. So a week from now, hopefully I can say that I'm on top of what's going on, and my schedule, and so on and so forth. Here's to hoping.

Last but certainly not least, I'm making personal changes that have been a long time coming. I won't go into detail, hence, the personal part. But I will say that this weekend was the beginning of something new to me. I've decided that I'm going to start being less of a people pleaser--because it's gotten to the point where I can't pull it off anymore. I'm going to focus on the things that I know I can handle, and cut back on the things I can't. So, after thinking about it extensively, and with the advice of many--recently and over the years, I'm making changes. I feel I've been accepting of others and what has made their lives better; even if I didn't understand, or necessarily agree. So I'm hoping that the same will go here. If not, though, it's okay. I've really pondered for a looooong time about how to find my own inner peace and how I need go about getting it. And I owe it to myself to try. Luckily I like myself enough to realize that there are options, and I owe it to myself to try them, and see what works. So that's that.
Anway, as you can see, big things are happening. And they are all good things, so I'm feeling really content with life right now. It's amazing how just taking a stand on a decision
can really change your outlook on everything.
So I just sent Jeff off to work for the day. I'll wait around for a text from him telling me that he
's doing okay, and that he's bored, but slowly getting used to what his new job entails. Next I'm going to go wake Riley and fix her hair, and take a ton of pictures of her in her first day of school outfit. And I'll marvel at how much I want from life just for my daughter, at how happy I am for her that her best girl friend is in her class this year, and how excited she is about it. And then I'll drop her off, and feel my heart break a litte because she's growing so fast and there's no way to stop it. Cole and I will wait here, and go over his letters and numbers and talk about him going to school next week, and how great it will be for him. And then it will be time to pick Riley up. Cole and I will be anxious to hear whether or not she likes her new teacher and how things were with Olivia...if they went back to being best friends, or if things were a little awkward at first. This will be our lives for the next school year, and I'm looking forward to it. It's different, but sometimes different is good, while always scary. New beginnings, and all. You know how it is.

17 comments:

KaSs MiLeS said...

i cannot believe how old that girl is!!! She looks older than she is because she's so tall, but she's growing up fast! I envy your life Rainey! Maybe some day i can just enjoy my kids and husband and be a busy busy mom. You're a lucky duck! You have a great family and i love spending time with them, they are wonderful!
I miss the first day of school, i loved school! Hope the first day is really fun for Riley! 3rd grade is huge!

Kory said...

Why does she have a locker? I don't imagine you need a locker if you only go to one class. You'll have to fill us in on Jeff's new job. I pray for Nuskin, just so racquetball Wednesdays can keep going.

Keri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keri said...

I'm afraid I need more details. what is this about Jeff changing jobs? The only info I get about your family is from your blog, and you've not mentioned this before.
Also, your talk about personal changes was so vague, I don't understand what you're doing! Tell me more, tell me more.

Kelli said...

Ditto to Keri's comment and who deleted their comment?!? That always makes me insanely curious. Before I read through your blog I just looked at the pictures and I thought you had just taken pictures of Riley's first day and decided to ignore Cole's first day of KINDERGARTEN! I'm glad that was not the case. What are these personal changes? No more RCG?!?! I hope so.

Keri said...

It was me who deleted my comment, because I forgot to check the follow up box. I never get to hear what else people say because i forget that.

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

HA HA I have had to delete comments before because somehow they have posted twice. Anyways, I think school is so bitter sweet. I know that I am going to put Lukas in pre school when he is three and I know that when that day comes I will bawl like a baby. I will probably bawl every year when my kids trot off to school. I hope Jeff enjoys his new job. I can't wait till Dan is done with school and has more time for the fam. We thought it was sooner rather then later but doesn't look like it. Also YAY your almost out of the hundreds on your baby ticker.

Sarah said...

Ditto for the comments from Keri and Kelli - what's it all about - we need the inside scoop!!!

Shauna said...

Yeah, why the locker? Is Jeff working for Nuskin?

Kyle said...

All I can figure by your vagueness is that you're going to reject our advances for weekend gaming.

That's what you were talking about right?

Kelli said...

What are you talking about, Kyle?

rain said...

Kory, and Shauna,
I don't know exactly why they have lockers. But this option was a deal maker for Riley. She was put out last year because she didn't get one. Also, the school used to be a junior high, so instead of taking them out, I think they just decided to use them. Kyle, I hope you are still planning on my husband and kids for a few hours of Nintendo fun on Saturday, or I'll be hunting you down. That's NOT what I was talking about. As for everyone else, what I WAS talking about, was me making decisions that are simply affected by what I want or don't want to do. For a long time I've done things based on what others have expected me or wanted me to do, and I'm just done doing that. I guess this past weekend I realized that I'm an adult, and I can say "no", if I really want to...because I have felt for a long time that I couldn't. Also, reciprocation is key in any relationship, and I just kind of found out where I fit in...and it takes a lot of pressure off. So, like I said, it's personal, but it's all good. At first it was a little sad, but now things are going to be better.

KaSs MiLeS said...

I wish I could say no, but I can't. I get walked on a lot, it doesn't make life very fun.... Especially to family, I really can't say no. I HATE it!

rain said...

Precisely, Kass. It's no fun.

Amy said...

How she is growing up so fast. Rain I totally support you on this new change. I am the same way, I try to make everyone happy, and in the end just being stressed out. So feel free to tell me no WHENEVER, same to you KASS. Because I know how it feels. I support you both in this.

Algernon Sydney said...

How come you didn't take any pictures of Jeff getting ready for and at his new job? I bet his feelings are hurt that you posted about Riley's first day of school, but totally overlooked him.

rain said...

c...you make an interesting point. I can just see me trying to take a picture of Jeff at 6:15am...and NOT having my camera smashed into a thousand tiny pieces. I think it's safe to say that he understands when I neglect him. Amy, thanks for your support. I know that most people understand this phenomenon. There are always those few, though, and they're the ones that make the demands. I guess it's the "squeaky wheel" factor, or something.