I had to sit down and fill out papers while she tested Cole...and it was bad that I was there. Not for Cole's sake, however, for mine. Now, you've probably picked up a few clues as to the kind of parent I am. But when it comes to others TEACHING my children, it's like I become that parent screaming at the little league tee-ball team. I control it, but it's really, really difficult. I sat there, listening to Cole's teacher's requests: write your name-check. Count for me, as high as you can-check. What's this letter?-check.
Then it all went terribly wrong: Write the numbers one through ten. Write an A, a D, and an F. Tell me which words here are the "Rhyming" words. Show me where the front cover of the book is.....HUH? Cole was so unprepared. And confused. And it was so painful for me to watch. But on top of that, I was getting pissed and frustrated because as I sat there pretending to fill out emergency contact information AGAIN, she was asking him all these questions that, hello, aren't you supposed to LEARN in Kindergarden? I mean, what do you go for, besides the social developement, if you already know all this stuff? And the way she phrased her questions was weird, too...she wouldn't rephrase them. For instance: What does a "C" say? Cole just looks at her, she looks back at him and repeats, "What dooooes a C saaaaay"? Cole goes, "I don't know, what does it say"? And instead of rephrasing the question, she just went onto another letter. What does an "F" say? And so on and so forth. Well, Cole really didn't have a clue as to what she was asking. We've taught him, "what makes a "ca" sound?, to wich he'll respond, "C" or "K". And that's how he knows which letter it is...the other way around, it just made no sense to him, and I wanted to shout and tell her she was doing it all wrong, but the more sane side of myself kept reminding me to calm down and breathe, and it would do no favors to Cole for me to become enemies with his teacher. So I just sat there, and stewed, until they were done. Now, after all that, you'd think I would have gotten out of there, but she asked Cole if he was ready for school tomorrow, and he said yes, excited that he'd "done so well" on his testing.
I couldn't leave it at that. I wanted to explain a little...explain that no, my son isn't a dullard. (Oh,
BTW, he totally kicked @ss on his listening and comprehension skills, I just had to add that. He's always been that kid that doesn't have to even look at you, and he's all over the place and you don't think he's using a single brain cell. However, afterwards, he can pretty much repeat exactly what you just said--and he gets it).So I went up to his teacher, and started to explain that he knows all the sounds of letters, it's just that I've taught him wrong, I guess....and then, I could feel it coming on, but I couldn't control it, and I was right in the middle of a sentence, so I couldn't just run...I start bawling. I mean, the sobbing kind, that is uncomfortable for everyone. I was so embarrassed and angry with myself that it just got harder to control myself, and I finally choked out, "sorry, hormones and stuff..." She got this terrified look on her face, thinking I was snapping, and she needed to get to another assessment test, so she goes, "oh, he's going to do great. I know he's a smart kid, I can tell!" I gave her a smile while I was still convulsing and I'm sure it was really pretty and convincing on top of that. I apologized again, tried to make a joke of it, and obviously, at that point in time, could do nothing more than fail miserably. So now I'm just hoping that life will be a little easier for Cole seemingly how his teacher knows what he's dealing with at home. Either that, or she'll be so afraid to do anything remotely upsetting to him...and I guess that's a bit comforting as well. Yes, I am reaching. But honestly, it's all I can do after the humiliation that I suffered. Luckily I have Jeff to message during t
he day and relate all my fiascos. After our years of being together, he's just so good at knowing what to say to me, and how to say it. Also, Kelli came over and I explained to her the scenario. She eased my fears with her stories of working with school children and how they just try to cover EVERY base, to see not only if the kid is behind, but also advanced. They both really helped to settle my nerves and to hope that all is not lost.Anyway, a very long and emotional story short, that was our preparation for today....his first day of school. Right now, he's downstairs, watching a movie that he knows all the words and sounds to, and I'm gearing myself to get him dressed and take him there. In a way, I'm sad. I know it's only two and a half hours of time to myself, and I'm sure that once Squish comes, I'll be thankful for the break..and that's what I've taken to calling Sydney...just because she's pretty much a bratty parasite right now. And because I've heard my sister Muff refer to her a couple times as "a little Squishy", and it just sort of caught on. (I say bratty, because she is. I can't lean up against anything, lay my favorite way, or sit on my favorite chair, just because she refuses to let me, already. She freaks out and starts kicking and punching until I move, and then she's okay. Also, she's begun to spaz out when I smell food, if I haven't eaten in the mornings. This never happened with my other two and it reminds me of scary alien babies, and books I've read where the host is impregnated with some sort of demon spawn. That being said, I am quite fond of my little Squish, but a little creeped out, as well).
Okay, that's the end of part one. I'm going to go get Cole dressed, and take pictures of him outside his classroom, and probably cry because for some reason, though I never would have guessed, I am that parent. Wish him luck.
(Also, I used pictures from my new phone...I'm pretty stoked about this, as they're not too blurry and such. So I tried to insert them in a place that would make sense, but if they don't, that's why). Until next time!


10 comments:
Yikes almighty, I feel so privilidged to be a part of your blog!
Wow. wow. Hormones eh? That would've annoyed me if she was asking my son that question that way too. I didn't even know what the heck she meant. Kind of annoying she'll be the teacher and she couldn't even rephrase her poorly asked question. Should be interesting. Can't wait to hear more!
Man, you just helped me to realize even more that I am going to do whatever I can to afford preschool. I don't think that I have patience enough to teach all that stuff. It freaks me out for real! On another note your not the only mom I have heard describe the assessment test as painful. My SIL said that when she took my nephew to it that there were parts that she said were literally painful for her because she felt so bad for him.
I loved Cole's response.
"I dunno. Whaddoes a C say?" Like it was a lame Laffy Taffy joke.
I don't know if I'm not the type that would have told her to ask the question correctly. They don't say anything, they're inanimate objects. But school will be good for you both. Don't let Noony play in the garbage disposal.
That's why you should homeschool.
;)
Wow, and they weren't even prepping him for prefirst?! I remember your testing. It included drawing yourself. If you drew yourself without eyebrows, fingers, ears, knees, etc, you were too immature to begin kindergarten. Luckily for you, I cheated and another mom told me what to expect. You drew lots of pix of yourself before I took you to be evaluated. I was so glad you passed into Kindergarten! It makes me sad too, that Cole is already old enough to be in school. What happened to the babies? I'm sure thankful that little Squish will be here soon. I also love his "I dunno" response!
Mom,
I still can't draw myself. Perhaps I WAS too immature for Kindergarten. :) Ask Moriah about the cows I drew in the eighth grade. She still remembers how pitiful they were.
I'm excited for Squish, too. She just can't come until December first. I have to keep reminding myself of that.
I hate those assessments, I went with Aisylnn to one this year and was bugged the whole time. And Aislynn was so nervous that she couldn't really show her teacher how great and smart she is. I know why they do them, because in a way I do it with my swimming kids, but I think its too painful for the parents to watch. But don't worry they are not shrinks they are just trying to find out what your kid needs.
i haven't gotten to the last post yet, but i completely understand bursting into tears! I do it at least once a week... If that teacher's ever been pregnant she should understand, if she hasn't she shouldn't be a teacher!
Post a Comment