Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Empty Nest part two.

I dropped Cole off at school. His teacher wouldn't make eye contact, but this is understandable, as I try to avoid crazies, stinky, and/or turrets syndrome victims, as well. On the way there, Cole was unusually quiet...I decided to turn the radio off and give him some sound words of advice: Listen to your teacher, don't talk when she's talking, and you'll have so much fun and meet so many friends and...he took a deep breath, and said, "Pinky Swear, Mom"? I was kind of caught off guard as to where he'd heard this. I have said it to Riley a couple of times when we'd talked about serious stuff, and I had promised her it would be okay, but apparently he understood this to be one of those situations. So I smiled and kind of laughed and said, "absolutely, pinky swear". He goes, "uh mom? I don't know the one which is my pinky". I held mine up and explained that it's the smallest finger. I reached behind the seat and felt his little finger grab mine. "Is that right?" he asked. I told him he did it perfectly, and in that moment, found it possible to love my son even more.
We got to the school, an
d we walked in. Today being Wednesday, is their short day. Every year it changes, as do the hours of school time, and this is annoying to me, but I'm guessing that no one really cares about my opinion. So today they went to school fifteen minutes early and got out forty-five minutes early. (It will only take me two-thirds of the year to get this down).
Cole led me to his classroom. As he's been there two times, he knows exactly how to get there--I honestly am always so impressed with his sense of direction. I took him in and had him find his table, and of course, it was the last one we looked at. But he did well in recognizing his name, and sat down, appreciating the crayon box in front of him. There were only like, five kids there, and I was confused as to why, as we were only two minutes early. (Riley informed me later that the buses, the REASON why we have to always have weird scheduled days, were running late). I also noticed that there were no boys at his table...the only one set up this way. I guess it makes sense that Cole will be comfortable like this because he's very used to being around the female gender, but I guess I was a little concerned that there were no other kids at his table. I was kind of sad that he would feel lonely, as Riley and I both would. But then again, Cole is Jeff's son...not only biologically, obviously, but they have a lot of the same personality quirks. Where Riley and I get lonely easily, they are just fine being alone and in their own worlds. It's hard for me to understand, but Jeff has clued me in that this just is, and to deal and accept. As I looked around, there were other parents there, some with video cameras. All of us had that same concerned look on our faces. Trying to get in that private moment where we tell our little ones that we love them, and remind them that they are fabulous, and they'll have so much fun, and to behave. Then it was time for me to go...His teacher had said to the other four kids there that it was time to start--a clever way to tell the lingering parents to leave, and avoid eye-contact with me at the same time. By this time she'd passed out Play-Doh to all the kids and Cole wasn't even interested in me anyway, so I reluctantly left him there at that big circle table, all alone.
Then I had two and a half hours all to myself. How did I fill it? I guess the way I usually do, however, I have had to run both the dishwasher and the washer and dryer to provide the usual background noise that today was so obviously missing. I checked email, filled out some sort of "check all the things you've done in your life" thing, blog-stalked those that I usually do, texted Jeff, who ignored me, just cause he was working. Whatever.
Anyway, miraculously quickly, it was time to go g
et the kids. I've instructed Riley to pick Cole up after school, and they will come out together, and get into the car. But today I had to go see if there were any other kids at his table. I didn't want to be lonely FOR him. As I peeked in, Cole was making himself a picture, and wearing his backpack. I'm not exactly sure as to why....seemingly how his teacher made him put it in his cubby when he got there. But he was wearing it, unzipped, and finishing some art masterpiece that had to stay there and dry. I watched from the hallway like some kind of creepy peeping tom, occasionally snapping pictures with my new phone--which coincidentally, worked better on those far away pictures than my nice camera. No shakage. Can I just say how much I love my Blackberry? It's fabulous.
I watched him for the last min
ute or so, before the bell rang. Cole was taught by Riley the importance of raising your hand before talking to the teacher, so I noticed that at least twice he'd be needing to ask a question, and would just stand there, raising his hand, staring at his teacher, while she was otherwise occupied. Yeah, he's going to be THAT kid. But I guess it's better than the one that yells, "TEACHER, TEACHER!" until looked at. There were a couple of those, too.
The bell rang, and Cole cam
e bounding out, his first words being, "I liked it, mom!" And just like that, I relaxed. I didn't even know how stressed I'd been-and I'm an overexaggerater in all things, so you know it was substantial. We waited for Riley and then all walked to the car together. They both had a good day, Riley found out that a boy named Alex, not the one that I know from her previous class, but a blond one, the one that had been staring at her since the first day, is in love with her. (Of course). And Ashlyn is her new best friend. So, not a bad day at all for her. Cole told Riley that his favorite part of school was the "park", (playground), and Riley apologized to Cole that they couldn't have recess together. (Awwww...) We got out of the car, and Cole showed me the inside of his backpack, because if there's one thing I learned from Riley going to Kindergarten is that you don't just ask your kids if they have anything in it, you look yourself and you will find at least three things they need to do that they had, "no idea", were in there. We had a snack...and I'd like to say that this was mainly because the kids were hungry, but no, it's because I was. And then, out of the blue, Cole gets a panicky/angry look on his face, and says, "Mom! You didn't tell me da truth!" I asked what he was talking about and he goes: "You telled me that school was going to be a short time, and I was there for a hundreds hours!" I told him he was there for only two and a half hours, actually, and that that's how many hours he'll be there each day. "EACH DAY? I didn't say I wanted thaaaaat! Now I can't watch my movies!" (You're right Keri. With Cole, I'm definitely seeing the benefits of the home school option).

18 comments:

Kelli said...

I don't actually have anything profound to say, but I love being the first to comment. So let me ask this, were the majority of those pictures taken solely with your blog in mind?

Kelli said...

Oh, and I did pre-school screening today for head start and thought of you the whole time.

Brandi, Dan, L and B said...

I am glad Cole enjoyed it. Also when your five two and a half hours feels like FOREVER!

Kory said...

I remember feeling shanghai'ed when my mom told me it would be every day and that's not what I wanted. I got over it and developed all the normal social anxieties.

Amy said...

I don't remember much about my first day of kindergarten, or kindergarten at all except I remember peeing my pants once because I didn't make it to the toilet in time, and playing it off like it didn't happen, and wend the whole day with wet pants. And I remember meeting Amber Jensen (Ashley's sister).

Shauna said...

Seriously you should write a book. If only to say what the rest of us can never express. I watched as Maggie's teacher kept calling her the wrong name. Maddie and then Josie. Josie? Not even close. She asked Maggie what sound a J makes and said "You should know that one it's in your name! J Ja Josie!" And Maggie was too polite or shy to correct her and instead let her think she was the dumb one. Yeah she's that kid. Like me. That's why it hurts.

Maggie's teacher actually had to tell me to leave, and then I got tears in my eyes like I was in trouble or something for hanging around too long not wanting to let Maggie go.

rain said...

Kelli, of course I took these pictures with my blog in mind. This has become THE reason to even remember my camera.
Shauna, I don't think I could have sat there and let her call my kid the wrong name. I was thiiiis close to yelling at his teacher simply because she, in my opinion, asked him a question in an incorrect manner. Also, at this time, I have to be veeeery careful about what I allow myself to say. I'm at this point where I don't even consider the repercussions of possibly being rude or hurtful...did you say something stupid? I'll be the first to let you know. And this isn't a good way to go about making friends, obviously. So I've really got to watch it. My explanation cut short, I'm amazed at your self control...as just as I was reading your comment I wanted to shout at that teacher; HER NAME IS MAGGIE! WITH A G, YOU IDIOT! I-I-IDIOT! See?

Keri said...

Don't we live our lives now with blogging in mind?
I'm impressed he has a sense of direction since he's so much like Jeff.
I love that they sit at those round tables instead of desks, so much more friendly.
Just remember, you're not there to make friends with his teacher, you're an advocate for your son's education.
I loved Kindergarten, sometimes I wish I had sent my kids to kindergarten and then taken them out after, it's a fun year (at least when we were little).

rain said...

Keri...I'm glad you commented on Jeff's sense of direction. I am still amazed that a man that GREW up in in this valley still can't tell me whether or not American Fork is South or North of Springville. Absolutely amazed. Also, I'll ask him how to get somewhere, and he really has no clue...I find it baffling, frankly.
As for the friends with his teacher part...I'm okay knowing that we'll never be friends, really. I just hate that she'll be frightened of me, and thinking I'm ready to snap at any moment. That's embarrassing sometimes.

Moriah said...

haha. I knew he could do it!

Erinn and Ryan said...

Seriously, this post made me cry, and I don't have hormones or anything as an excuse! I'm already having nervous breakdowns in preparation for sending Connor to kindergarten, which doesn't happen for TWO YEARS! I love the idea of just keeping them home, but there is so much opposition to homeschool sometimes, it confuses me.

KaSs MiLeS said...

That is really cute! I'm glad he liked it, too bad he's there for hundreds of hours.... I had to find my own way to kindergarten each day, because Kory and Kelli were supposed to show me where my class was each day, but they always ditched me at the bus and i often got lost... Cole's lucky to have Riley, because she actually cares about him!

rain said...

Erinn, you don't have to worry at all. Connor reads already, and will be the smartest kid in class. Cole just doesn't feel like he needs to apply himself until he makes that decision--or sees that yes, it is necessary and it's not just something I'm freaking out about. I do have to admit though, walking through those doors and letting go of their little hands and seeing that they might not NEED you as much as you'd assume, kind of hurts at first.

Kass...she forgot to go get him yesterday. I waited for twenty minutes before she came out of the school, and she's got the, "I was just flirting with my boyfriend", look on her face. Cole was nowhere to be seen. I asked her where he was and she slaps her forehead and goes, "Oh, I TOTALLY forgot!" So I had to drive around to the other side of the school because that's the only place the doors are unlocked to go in, and I ran into his teacher--who was terrified, by the way, and she had Cole. I guess he'd told her he had to ride the bus with his sister. Which is completely untrue, he just feels like he's missing out because he doesn't ride it. I was relieved that his teacher didn't "accidentally" ditch him as well, especially when I saw how frightened she was to see me walk through the doors as they were coming out. Point is, I think Riley cares, it's just, boys besides her brother are so much more important.

Kelli said...

I love that he lied to his teacher to try to ride the bus. That's great. You should let him do it for a year and then he will never want to again. Trust me. I was so glad I had a horribly naughty brother who regularly got kicked off the bus, because then I didn't have to ride it either.

Leah said...

Holy cow... I didn't realize how totally cute your kids are until this blog and those pictures. Cole looked entirely too small with his giant backpack on and the pictures of them together are too sweet for words.by

Shauna said...

No, I did correct her about Maggie's name. But I waited until the end because one, I was at the other end of the room and she asked me not to interfear, and two I wanted see if Maggie would correct her, because I know I won't be there all the time. But yes I did tell her at the end. She has remembered it ever since, thank goodness. But I was hoping Maggie wouldn't be like I was when I was little, shy and not speak up. Her second day she was so thirsty when she got home she drank a huge glass, she said she was afraid to ask for a drink of water. Oh well, I guess we'll have to work on that one.

Kory said...

I talked to Cole yesterday and asked him if he gets to color in kindergarten. His whole demeanor changed when he thought I had asked him what his favorite color was. I've never seen him so focused as he told me about orange. It was really funny. Aparrently orange is his favorite topic.

DeSisto Digitals said...

Can I just say this? Cole rocks! I love how both your kids have these crazy imaginations! Maybe you should tell Cole the story of a little girl who's teacher made her get on a bus the FIRST day of kindergarten that wasn't the RIGHT bus! The little girl tried and tried to tell the teacher that it was the wrong bus, "I RIDE THE BLUE FISH, NOT THE BLUE CHICKEN!" "THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A BLUE FISH BUS... JUST THE BLUE CHICKEN - NOW GET ON!!!" Low and behold the little girl sat at the back of the bus for 2 hours (because of course it had to be the bus for all the out-of-towners) and ended up back at the bus barn. The little girl was lucky the driver saw her in his rear-view mirror as he parked the bus, or she'd have been left there all through the night, crying in the big and lonely seat. The next day when the little girl's mom made the teacher aware that there was INDEED a blue fish bus... the teacher gave the little girl a smug, "oh... I've never heard of the blue fish... sorry." From then on... the girl hated her Kindergarten teacher (who also didn't let me... I mean HER take her crayons home)!!! That will keep him from EVER wanting to ride the bus! Wow - what a beautiful story.