Sunday, March 23, 2008

Another example of my superior mothering skills...

Well, I tried. I wanted to create some sort of example for my children of what Easter is really about. Why we, as an LDS family, celebrate this holiday. It's not just about the transformer action figures and the Littlest Pet Shop cutesy animal thingies. It's also not only about the Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs, a fact that I do have remind myself during the frenzy of pastel colors, chocolate, and fuzzy animals that seem to line every shelf around this time of year. It's about being with family and being thankful that we have this opportunity. It's about remembering our Savior, and the sacrifice made for all. This is something that I truly believe, and is truly dear to my heart. But I'm also one of those people that take many precautions to avoid preachy individuals and situations, so I find this kind of thing hard to talk about. I want it to come across as peaceful and hopeful and graceful. Not something to be laughed about or be uncomfortable with. The gospel part of my life has really brought me so much joy, so it's a subject I'm a bit protective of.
Anyway, getting to the subject, we went to church. We really try to do this most Sundays, and sometimes we don't, just like everyone else. But I wanted the kids to get the story of Jesus's Resurrection from a source that doesn't get overly emotional or is telling them completely complex information. Sacrament went well, the kids played with the toys from the Easter Bunny and seemed quite content. True, they probably weren't listening, but our Sundays meetings are three hours long...and sometimes even I feel like I can't make it all the way through. After Sacrament meeting, I was asked to help out with Cole's class and sit in Primary with them, as well. This was how my last two hours of Church were spent. I enjoy Primary because the kids are funny, and if you listen, you really learn a lot about the people in your ward. (Note to Self: Try to remember more often that when you are talking to others, especially about others, the kids are always, most definitely listening.) I have heard stories about whose parents fight over what, whose older siblings got in trouble for doing something, and lots more that I won't mention, seemingly how I am hoping that the people that teach my children have the same decency. Being in Cole's class was a humbling experience. Not only was he all over the place, but he was loud and obnoxious, and
along with all the other kids that were in Primary, he got an Easter egg. The rule was no kid could open their egg and eat the candy inside until they got home. I don't really understand why people that teach children seem to think this is a legitimate request, but, whatever.
We sat through the lesson, and I was impressed with all the little kids and their answers to questions throughout. Then it was time to go home. My kids were SO ready to get back to the baskets of candy and toys from this morning. For some reason, they can't just play in their rooms, they have to bring all their toys downstairs into the living room and spread them all around. I was in the kitchen fixing our Easter ham. (An already -cooked, spiral ham that really only had to be warmed up for forty-five minutes). It still took me longer than it should have, and caused me more stress than my regular masterpieces of various combinations of macaroni and cheese. And while I was "preparing" our meal, I listened to the kids playing. I was happy, because I heard them kind of re-creating the Resurrection with their Hasbro toys. Not that that's the special part, because it could be a little disturbing, as well. I was just impressed that their Sunday class lessons were actually heard. I listened to Riley say, "Oh no! She's dead! She's DEEEAAAADDDD!" and then Cole said, "Just have Jesus touch her, then she'll come back alive. Because Jesus can do that, right?" (This came from miracles mentioned today that Jesus had performed.) Riley agreed, and then I stopped listening, because this pre-cooked ham was NOT going to kick my butt. Later, as we were eating, we talked about what we learned in our classes and Cole and Riley both impressed us with their memory retention. I smiled and looked at Jeff, and starting telling him about how wonderful today was, and how great it was that our kids know so much...and he said, "well, did you hear what Cole said about Jesus earlier?" I smiled, still enveloped in my motherly bliss, and said, "you mean about Jesus bringing someone back from the dead?" He kind of laughed and asked if I had heard what he said after that, and I told him I was too involved in the making of the glaze for my ham. Well, Jeff then proceeded to tell me that after Cole had said what I'd heard before, he went on to say,"Or maybe I could touch her and bring her back to life. Jesus can do that, so how hard can it be?" After Jeff filled me in, I was grateful that my children weren't struck by lightening in my living room as I was making dinner. I guess I still have my work cut out for me as far as instilling my religious beliefs to my children goes. So I will continue to work on teaching them and myself. And perhaps pay more attention to what they perceive, because my selective listening skills may become their and my downfall. Wish me luck, with this short attention span, I need it.

4 comments:

KaSs MiLeS said...

That's hilarious! Way to go Cole!

Larraine said...

Hi Rain, Now that I figured out that people were leaving comments, (I never was too good about reading all the fine print!) I am glad that I can leave a comment, too.

I enjoy your blog (funny ones more than unhappy ones!) I love hearing about the kids. They do say crazy things! And I laugh out loud because I can just see and hear the kids! I just realized that there was a video of Riley in her music program. That was really cute. Glad you had a good Easter. We did too. I miss you. Can't wait to see you soon.
Love, Mom

Amy said...

oh he is so confident! With that kind of faith maybe he will be a prophet someday!

Nately said...

AWESOME! SIMPLY AWESOME! I have the coolest nephew on the face of the Earth! Ha, ha... man, your kids rock. :)