Okay, let me apologize for something in my last post, as I have yet again, completely stepped into it. As far as my opinion of Home-schooling goes, it is solely based on an eighth grade experience, and to be perfectly honest, I had completely forgotten that Taryn has and is being home schooled. I have never noticed Taryn or Erik to be anything but well-adjusted, smart, funny, and adorable kids. So I apologize. When I think home-schooling, I think about the twins from my eighth grade class. I didn't stop to think that what I'd be writing would be taken as mean or hurtful. Yet another example of my verbal diarrhea and lack of understanding. (The first being a comment I left on Shauna's blog about numerology....I didn't even think about it being less than nice until Jeff pointed it out. I was just confused and have no idea how that stuff works). And I want to point out I also wrote that if I had to be with my children all day, and actually have to teach them something, it would drive me crazy. My bad and I humbly ask your forgiveness.
That being said, I wanted to give you an update on my mothering skills. (Perhaps another day will be a lesson for me in tact, we shall see). I realize that last night I rambled about what a rotten mother I am. Well, not that that has changed overnight, but I do want to say that I am proud of my progress today. Riley has a speech in class today and I actually allowed her to dress herself. Admittedly, I'm a bit anal in this area of motherhood. I have this need that my children look cute all the time, that their clothes are clean, that they are matching, that they look fashionable. Also admittedly, I know that this doesn't make me sound like a good mother, but more of a shallow stage-mom that yells at her kids and puts way more pressure on them than necessary. For the record, when we are home, they can wear anything they like. When they are going somewhere, that's when I get a little obsessive. Anyhoo, I had picked out her clothes for today last night, and she changed it around on me this morning. Normally, this results in an argument, and her telling me that she doesn't like what I picked out, and me telling her that she looks fabulous and just to trust me. Being the great kid that she is, she rolls her eyes, but lets me win. Today, I was the loser. So I am showing you a picture of what she wore..remember that she'll be getting up in front of her class today to give her speech on "how to draw a shark". (Her idea, by the way, because she's just creative like that). I did give into temptation, and talked her out of her pink leopard-print headband and my black/grey/white knitted scarf, but other than that, this is her creation, completely. I figured if she's going to be up in the public eye, she should be in something that she feels is fabulous....regardless of what I think. At the end of the day, I'm sure I will be right back to calling my children "Doofus" and "Fart Face", those are staples in my affectionate vocabulary, though can be misconstrued as malicious, derogatory names. But hopefully, they will look back some days and think that I tried. Isn't that what matters? I hope so....in either case, it wouldn't be a bad idea to just start saving for major therapy sessions.


5 comments:
i think you're doing a fabulous job as a mom and I'm very glad you talked her out of the grey scarf and leopard headband. I hope it goes well for her no matter what!
Even though I dont have kids, I do know what it is like to have to fight with a 7 year old artistic girl about what clothes she can and can't wear to school. I am proud of you for letting her do wear whatever she wants, I couldn't do it. There have been countless fights with Aislynn over her clothes, and like you its really because you want them to be the cutest girl in class, not because you are trying to control them. That you want to protect them from perhaps the type of stuff you were made fun of as a child.
Hey Rain!
Just read your blogs... they're awesome! :) I lost your link to them, but Chris finally found it for me.
If it makes you feel better... I never get offended by what you're saying. I'm sure it comes from the fact that I suffer from severe verbal diarrhea myself! Ha, ha! You could go off about how you hate people that drive dumpy old ford probes, and I would just nod and say, "YEAH, ME TOO!" Not ever once considering the fact I drive one myself (well, I guess my husband does - poor soul). Anyhow... I appreciate your blogs and think they are very entertaining. :)
Oh... and for the record... you're a great mom! Don't be so hard on yourself. You're not as great of a mom as I am an aunt... but that's okay. Oops... there goes my verbal diarrhea again...
Rainey, I was kidding about homeschooling. I don't expect everyone to share my views. I realized that you wouldn't have said that if you were thinking of me all the time, so I thought I'd make you feel bad by pointing it out. Just my generous nature.
Not to change the subject... but people from CUBA are visiting your e-journal?! Fidel's brother Raul must be looking for good blog ideas. (If I were you I'd keep an eye on http://www.cubagob.cu for some good potential lawsuits)
Post a Comment