That being said, I have to tell some more stories about how my mothering skills are really a work in progress. Riley and I seem to have conflicting opinions on her clothing. As I mentioned before, in the mornings before school, she likes to veto the outfits that I have, with careful consideration, laid out for her. This week I have realized that my go-to plan of just yelling and threatening when she discards my fashionable creations, for the tackiest, shabbiest pieces in her closet, might not be the best solution. Two mornings ago, I went into her room and woke Riley up for school. Now, I guess I really shouldn't say "woke her up", because she usually will grunt, pull the covers over her head and refuse to open her eyes until I've gone downstairs and started working on her lunch. Usually I have to yell up to her about three times to hurry up and then I know I can stop when I hear the bathroom door slam, as she's letting me know that she's getting dressed, and she's mad at me for yelling. Anyway, that morning's power-play was especially harsh. I had picked out a pair of jeans, and a shirt that is adorable. She yelled from the bathroom that she didn't want to wear that particular shirt, and I yelled back that I had already picked it out, and she really had no choice. (I'm agreeable that way). To make a long story a lot shorter, chaos ensued, and (can I use any more cliches in one sentence?) we argued for about thirty minutes; making me more and more infuriated. We had about ten minutes before we had to leave and I finally had these thoughts: "Why is this so important to me?, Is this really worth Riley crying?, If I give in, does this mean I've lost control? Or does it mean I can admit when I have taken something way to far?" Disgusted with my bi-polar disorder, I just yelled up to her, "fine, just wear what you want to. I don't care. I am done fighting about it."
(The shirt that caused all the unhappiness)
I heard Riley coming downstairs, and I had just finished making her breakfast. I noticed that she had found a different shirt, and put it on. Regardless of just thinking of my blue pants and how I hated to wear them for the previous reasons, I told myself that I just needed to let it go. I was still pissed, but I just mumbled for her to eat her breakfast. She looked at me, and said, "Just a second". I just grunted an okay, and told her to hurry. For the next few minutes I just unloaded the dishwasher a little harder and louder than normal while I fumed until I heard Riley come back into the kitchen. I looked up and noticed she was wearing the "offensive shirt". I stopped, and looked at her, as she stared at me. She went to the toaster and grabbed the English Muffin that I had toasted for her, and sat at the table, eating as if nothing was unusual. Right then I felt like a loser. How is it that I'm the thirty year old, and she's the one that will soon turn eight? I asked her why she changed and she said, "because I just didn't want you to be mad at me." It was right then that my questions were answered. YES...I am a self-absorbed, overly shallow mother that seriously needs to re-evaluate her priorities. Especially when it comes to my daughter.
I was touched, and I was humbled. So I made a deal with her, (even though it pained me to no end). From now on, I get all fashion-say Monday through Thursday. However, Fridays are all hers. Yeah, I'm a giver. I know I'm ridiculous, but these are the things that my daughter is teaching me. I learn from her and am a better person because of her. I'm just so thankful that Riley is the way she is, because I know it can't be easy. If any of you have some sort of advice as to what I can do to avoid being so obsessive-compulsive, please, for my sweet little girl's sake, fill me in.


7 comments:
I remember having these same fights with my mom over clothes. And I have them often with Aislynn, I just want her to be the cutest girl in class, but I also want her to be confident, so she is kind to others and makes a lot of friends. I think letting her pick one outfit a week is good for her. We express ourselves so much through clothes that this allows them to feel like they are in control of themselves.
Well let me just say that I totally get where your coming from. Good thing Lukas can't talk back much yet because I am OCD about his clothes too. This kid dresses better then me. So,needless to say I am not sure how I will react when he is older and wants to wear something I am not too fond of.
Hmmm... I don't know what YOUR deal is, but I LOVED those pants with the heart shape on the butt! However, I didn't love them NEARLY as much as the other pair of hand-me-downs that had a BROWN SPOT on the butt! Yeah, it looked like poop and it didn't come from me (another yard-sale treasure)... and I got a few comments about those in school as well! I WISH I COULD BE A KID AGAIN AND RELIVE ALL THOSE FOND MEMORIES!!! AHHH!!!
Rain, I hate to remind the world, but I remember very well how obsessive you have always been with clothes. You started way earlier than eight years old. More like about two years old. I think you should let Riley choose her own style TWO days a week and on Saturdays, too! I bet she wouldn't choose anything like the blue pants with the hearts, or the pair with the brown butt stain (Muff, I didn't ever purchase a pair with a stain. It must have come from someone in our family!!)
Love you both!
Let the poor kid chose her clothes! I know that Utah is all about keeping up with the Jones's and all, but it seems so odd to me that a parent needs to care that much. You buy the clothes, so you know she has a good selection...no worries until she starts to buy her own clothes (image of sullen goth teenager comes to mind).
I don't understand what the big deal is. Why can't she choose every day? She'll look how she wants and that's that. Anything bad that could happen from her 'apearance' she can then correct herself. I don't see anything bad coming from that.
-Kory
I'd have to say ditto to Kory.
My half brother got pretty psychologically crippled from not being allowed to make his own choices. It's important to kids to be able to control their lives to some extent just like it is to adults. Why not let it be in a harmless area like clothes?
Post a Comment